My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: chuck shields

November 9, 2004 02:50 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

grand canyon sunset

Posted By chuck shields

My first post here, so hopefully this pic will post. Got this in June at the Grand Canyon Star Party. Used a Olympus DL360 set at med resolution (480 x 620). Thought some sunsets would be a nice switch from sun rises.

November 10, 2004 07:06 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Grand Canyon again

Posted By chuck shields

Raining on the north rim and Bright Angel trail in the foreground.

December 7, 2005 10:59 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Olympus Evolt digital SLR's

Posted By chuck shields

Anyone have any experience using the Olympus Evolt for astro-imageing? I just got a great deal on the E-300 and am curious.
Thanks all,
Chuck

June 22, 2004 07:00 PM Forum: Star Parties

GCSP reports

Posted By chuck shields

This was my second year at the GCSP and I hope to have quite a few more years of participating in this fun, educational, and beautiful event. The first three nights I had my Meade 8" Schmidt on a wedge but soon got tired of watching the nebula and globular dances in my eyepiece after 10:30 when the winds kicked in. The last few nights I setup my old AT1010 ( referred to as the battleship model by Vic Marris ) on a Sanford and Davis tripod, this setup laughed at the winds, steady as a rock with great wide field views of the Milky Way. I think Joe Bergeron (AP Stowaway on a Losmandy G11 mount, one awsome little telescope! )and I were the only ones not affected by the winds. I really wanted to get a look through some of the big dobs, but we all got over ran with people wanting to see Jupiter right after the sunset, maybe next year. Also my family and I would like to thank Thom and all the folks that put on the great feasts before observing, it felt like everyone is part of one big family, mushy but true. I hope to see all the familiar faces as well as new ones next year. Finally a BIG thank you to Dean Ketelson and the TAAA for allowing us to join you in enjoying a couple of natures great and grand views!

August 16, 2004 08:15 PM Forum: Star Parties

Star Parties in March/April 2005?

Posted By chuck shields

If they don't mind roughing it there's the Messier marathon at Arizona City AZ near the end of March. You can get more info at http://www.saguaroastro.org/

September 1, 2004 01:09 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

NGC7662 Blue Snowball

Posted By chuck shields

Outstanding image, great detail and color. I got a chance to look through one of the few 10" Maks you made (Pheonix, AZ) and I must say the views were unbelievable.

November 10, 2004 07:13 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Prairie Falcon

Posted By chuck shields

That is one beautiful bird. You sure post some VERY good pics shocked

November 15, 2004 04:48 PM Forum: After Dark

Dark Skies - Keeping the Stars in Sight

Posted By chuck shields

Thank you, I enjoyed the article. Hope you don't mind if I forward the link to some of the IDA members in my astronomy club.

December 4, 2004 10:49 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

1 Degree Killdeer

Posted By chuck shields

Very sharp! Poor guy's freezing his tail feathers. Thanks for sharing.

January 4, 2005 09:40 AM Forum: Star Parties

Official Dates GCSP 05

Posted By chuck shields

looking forward to this, hope everything works out so I can do the whole week.