Posts Made By: Troy Bunch

April 3, 2002 03:15 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Televid adapter?

Posted By Troy Bunch

APM-USA sells these for $55... Troy

July 8, 2002 11:42 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Does anyone love their zoom??

Posted By Troy Bunch

I've got a Leica 7.3 - 22mm zoom, and I love it. Other than being a bit narrow at 22mm, it's great!

July 10, 2002 11:02 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Shipping Damage

Posted By Troy Bunch

Hi all:

Last year I sold a very nice Celestron-branded Vixen C102 OTA - I shipped via UPS from the Washington DC area to Texas. I have shipped quite a few scopes, so I thought I had packed it pretty well. It was packed in a long box (maybe 12" x 12" x 48") with lots of bubble wrap. Anyway, it was obviously dropped on end; the impact actually pushed the focuser draw tube too far into the focuser, destroying the pinon gear and rack. The impact also cracked the objective. The buyer immediately sent the tube back to me. I called UPS told them what had happened, and was sent the paperwork to make the claim.

I had paid UPS for the extra insurance (they will cover the first $100 without additional cost - then each $100 is another $00.35, if I remember correctly), so my claim was pretty straight forward. I filled out the paperwork, included a copy of the Astromart ad which showed exactly what I had sold the scope for, and included an explanation of why the scope couldn't be repaired for less money than my claim was for. UPS paid off within two weeks, then stopped by the house to pick up "their" OTA (minus, of course, the finder, focus knobs, rings and dew shield).

Bottom line - make sure you pay for the extra insurance (there's no way they would have settled if I hadn't), and simply show proof of your loss.

Needless to say, I now pack OTA with at least 8" of packing at the ends of the box. Also, in all the years I've used UPS (and USPS, Fed Ex), I've never had any other problems. Just pack your stuff like it's gonna be dropped off a truck, and hopefully it'll survive. Troy

November 11, 2002 02:27 AM Forum: Takahashi

Fluorite: Old and new

Posted By Troy Bunch

Nonsense!!! There are earlier FS102s that have the old style light green lens cell, and these are IDENTICAL to the newer ones with the blue lens cell.

However, even earlier FC100s, with the light green lens cell are actually different than the FS102. The fluorite lens is in the front and is multicoated (older style had fluorite in rear and was not coated). Also, the actual figure of the lens element might be different, but I've never heard anything about the fluorite being different in any way.

April 19, 2004 05:39 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

which bogen / manfrotto head?

Posted By Troy Bunch

Hi Donald - after much research and talking to others, I've decided on the Bogen 503 Pro video fluid head mounted on a Berlebach ash tripod with center column... The head has an internal spring to counter balance a 5.5 lb load (scope) -- or you can save $100 and get the 501 head that does not have the counter balance feature. I'm going to use this combo with a large spotting scope. This should provide for smooth, shake free movement in alt and az... I'll post later once I've had a chance to try it out.

June 5, 2009 07:11 PM Forum: Politics

Re: Barrack Hussein Obama and Traditional Allies

Posted By Troy Bunch

Jim Babcock said:

Clearly you did not read the article. Just yesterday libs were challenging people to read their links before they comment. Today libs comment without a clue what the article says. It discusses Bush as well as Obama. As it says, the public swoons over the black President while the relationship is WORSE because of how the idiot treats their leadership.

It is all to apparent Jim, that YOU are the idiot. Why don't you get outside and enjoy the universe, and give everyone a break from this nonsense.

June 17, 2009 01:33 PM Forum: Politics

Chicago thuggery

Posted By Troy Bunch

* Removed after unanimous request from the AmeriCorps board of directors
* At May, 20, 2009, board meeting Walpin "was confused, disoriented and unable to answer questions and exhibited behavior that led the board to question his capacity to serve."
* The U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of California complained about Walpin's conduct to the IG oversight board and alleged he withheld exculpatory evidence.
* Walpin had "been absent from the Corporation's headquarters, insisting upon working from his home in New York over the objection" of the board.
* He "exhibited a lack of candor in providing material information to decision makers."
* He "engaged in other troubling and inappropriate conduct."
* He "had become unduly disruptive to agency operations, impairing his effectiveness."

June 17, 2009 03:05 PM Forum: Politics

Hot in here tonight...

Posted By Troy Bunch

Point taken Jack...

I'm only saying that we, the United States, ought to be doing better than most of the other industrialized countries, not worse.

And, I'm not saying that the US is a terrible place either -- but we could be doing much better with regard to taking care of our children and poor.