My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Floyd Blue

November 11, 2003 11:08 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Veterans Day

Posted By Floyd Blue

To all my fellow veterans, god bless and may your nights be dark and clear through out the coming year.
Floyd

November 12, 2003 05:20 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Clear day!

Posted By Floyd Blue

If I don't get a clear day pretty soon, I am going to sue the weatherman at the local TV station. I am tired of him always saying that it looks like a good weekend and then it turns up rain. He is either on something or he is totally out of his mind! I don't know how much they are paying him, but it is WAY too much!
I could be a better weatherman than him!
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
;^) Man this bites :^)
I know, I should not have fixed the scope and bought some new EPs and it is all my fault! :^(
Winter sucks!
I am going to move to Hawaii! Yeah, that's it! Hawaii!
:^)
Floyd

November 13, 2003 09:23 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Death Valley viewing?

Posted By Floyd Blue

Where do you view when you go to Death Valley? I am wanting some input into sites to use there.
Floyd

November 14, 2003 08:16 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

M31

Posted By Floyd Blue

When you look at M31 does it appear to have a bright central star? I have noticed that it has a central point that is so bright and small that it appears like one. I assume it must be just the core, but it is so sharp!
Floyd

November 16, 2003 06:56 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Problems revisited

Posted By Floyd Blue

Well, I am out checking the DOB for astigmatism and other aberations again and am pleased to note that it has none of the problems it used to have.
I am using a 12mm Nagler and a Big Barlow (310X)to check out Mars and despite poor viewing with a lot of air turbulence above the image is not bad at all. Some details and the cap are easily seen.
I will be trying the 4.7mm & 6.7mm UWA with the Barlow to see just how far I can push the power before the image falls apart.
The weather has not permited me to check it out much since I remounted the diag mirror. But it certainly seems the astigmatism was all in the diags being mounted with apoxy!
I will let everyone know how the evening has gone later.
I want the mirror to achieve equalibrium before I make a real report.
The 2 fans are really working well though and the upper fan is sure taking care of the hot currents from the mirror.
Floyd

November 18, 2003 12:21 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

New subject to ponder!

Posted By Floyd Blue

There are two types of Dobsonian Truss Scopes, the ones that need a ladder to use and those that do not.
Is it better to use a long f/l mirror and have less coma and climb a ladder, or to use a short f/l mirror and stand on the ground?
With the short f/l you get more coma and need a Paracorr with resulting loss of some detail and contrast. Also the collimation is not as easy or forgiving.
With the longer f/l you don't need the Paracorr so much and the collimation is easier, but you do need a ladder! ;^)
Now I have to climb a ladder, but sometimes I wish that I did not have to do this. My wife is short and has to climb higher. I think sometimes about a new short f/l scope, but when I check the price I just can't decide. All the mirrors in the f/4.2-4.5 are becoming very expensive from what I have seen and I am not sure it is worth that difference.
What do you think?
Floyd

November 18, 2003 12:25 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Happy day the EP arrived!

Posted By Floyd Blue

Ok, Ok, I know not relevant! But the 14mm UWA arrived and just as stated, it was like new without a mark on it!
I love Astromart! Good deals and good people selling fine equipment!
Got to go out tonight and burn it in!
Floyd

November 19, 2003 11:08 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Brand new Meade 14" LX200 GPS for 2200.00

Posted By Floyd Blue

I once bid on a LX200 on EBAY. It had a price so low it was too good to be true. Well it was! I checked out the dealer and found him to be a Chinese based outfit with a supposed store front in Washington. The money however was to be handled by an Escrow company in Italy! I tried to actually contact the guy with no responce. I told him to respond to my questions or I would report him to EBAY. He withdrew the scope the next day and never returned.
So watch you step!
Floyd

November 19, 2003 12:38 PM Forum: TeleVue

31mm Nagler , loose lens.

Posted By Floyd Blue

I was noticing an increased amount of coma and astigmatism in my 31 Nagler and today while cleaning it I noticed that it rattled while moving it arround. I unscrewed the barrel and found the inner barrel lens ring had loosened and the lens was moving around. I tighten the ring so that it was held from rattling without overtightening it and causing it to pinch. There was also a bit of black paint that had flaked off the inside on onto the lens, which blew off easily enough.
I am not sure this happens often, but if you notice some degradation in performance on your Nagle, check to see if you are having the same problem.
Floyd

November 19, 2003 12:38 PM Forum: Eyepieces

31mm Nagler Loose Lens!

Posted By Floyd Blue

I was noticing an increased amount of coma and astigmatism in my 31 Nagler and today while cleaning it I noticed that it rattled while moving it arround. I unscrewed the barrel and found the inner barrel lens ring had loosened and the lens was moving around. I tighten the ring so that it was held from rattling without overtightening it and causing it to pinch. There was also a bit of black paint that had flaked off the inside on onto the lens, which blew off easily enough.
I am not sure this happens often, but if you notice some degradation in performance on your Nagle, check to see if you are having the same problem.
Floyd