My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Floyd Blue

August 7, 2003 09:55 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Re: C11 question

Posted By Floyd Blue

I have never seen this in the C-11s that I have looked through. I own the C-8 and it does not show this tendency. I have only looked through 3 NS11GPS however.

August 10, 2003 05:33 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Mars Viewing on 8/9/03

Posted By Floyd Blue

We set up in a friends backyard at 10:30pm and sat down for a few minutes to let the scopes cool down. We had a 4" and a 6" refractor one 8" Newtonian and an NS8GPS at the party.

I brought the NS8GPS because I thought that it would be
the better planetary scope rather than the 15" DOB.
At about 12am wer started checking Mars out and the viewing was still not that clear. About 1am it started to get much better and by 2am the viewing was at its best.
I was able to see what I believe was Acidalia Planitia,Olympia Planitia, and Planum Boreum. The dark area along the southern cap was very visable. I could see the northern cap at time of greatest clarity.

What was interesting was I used a Parks ALP filter and was amazed at how much detail it brought out! It seemed to make the darkened areas just jump out at you. The southern cap became very bright and the dark area around it was even more evident. I got the filter on a EP deal and had never used it before. A pleasant surprise.

I am new to Mars so I am not absolutely sure of the name of the areas I was seeing, but they seemed to match these name on the map.

I was using a 12mm Nagler with a 2" Big Barlow at 338x and ws very surprised at how good Mars looked considering that we were in a backyard in a large valley with a lot of air above us. I usually go up to 8,300' to Mt Pinos for observing. I was also surprised that the 12mm Nagler barlowed seemed to out perform th 6.7 UWA that night. Never thought that it would.

We packed it up at 3:30am and I wenot home exhausted! :^)

I am going up on 8/22/03 or 8/24/03 to Mt. Pinos just for the one day.

I am planning a 4 day trip to Mt Pinos 9/19/03-9/23/03 to take some long looks before it goes away.

Dark Skies all,
Floyd

August 10, 2003 05:45 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Planetary EPs

Posted By Floyd Blue

Last night we set up a 6" Refractor, 4" Refractor, 8" Newtonian, 8" SCT for some Mars Viewing.
Out of the 4 the best views were in the 8"SCT with a 12MM Nagler and 2" Big Barlow at 338x.
I looked through Orthos,Plossls,Kellers,Erfles and other Naglers, and the 12MM Nageler T-4 with the Big Barlow was just better than the rest.
Very surprising!
Also a surprise was the wiew of Mars through a Parks ALP filer.WOW! The constrst was amazingly better than the p color filters.
Viewing was not bad, but anything from perfect.

August 11, 2003 02:28 PM Forum: TeleVue

Which EP?

Posted By Floyd Blue

I have the 31mm Nagler and the 20mm Nagler T2 and in between a 24mm Widefield. I have the 17mm & the 12mm Naglers as well.
My question is this, what EP would be the best choice for something between the 31mm & 20mm Naglers? The 24 Widefield is nice, but it is not a Nagler or a Panoptic, but I feel the need for something to fill the gap.
Thanks,
Floyd

August 11, 2003 02:32 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Which EP?

Posted By Floyd Blue

I have the 31mm Nagler and the 20mm Nagler T2 and in between a 24mm Widefield. I have the 17mm & the 12mm Naglers as well.
My question is this, what EP would be the best choice for something between the 31mm & 20mm Naglers? The 24 Widefield is nice, but it is not a Nagler or a Panoptic, but I feel the need for something to fill the gap.
Thanks,
Floyd

August 11, 2003 05:08 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Re: My Cave and me

Posted By Floyd Blue

One of my friends use to work at the Cave factory. He ground lenes and did other jobs there. He is trying to find a Cave 12.5" right now. We think we have found one through the club members. They are nice scopes and bring back fond memories for some people ! ;^)

August 12, 2003 04:08 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Orion New XT10" Intelliscope!

Posted By Floyd Blue

The SkyQuest XT10 continues its dominance over all other 10" Dobsonians worldwide by virtue of its dazzling optics, a contemporary new design, and most exciting of all, the ability to locate any of more than 14,000 fascinating celestial objects with pushbutton ease!
$800 for a Go-To 10" DOB! WOW, what will they come up with next?
The XT10 IntelliScope features exquisite optics: a 10" (254mm) parabolic mirror (1200mm focal length, f/4.7) figured from low-expansion, U.S.-made Pyrex glass for superior thermal stability. It gathers 56% more light than an 8" mirror, reaching stars as faint as magnitude 15.

Now that sounds a little far out there, a 10" scope doing Mag 15? Sounds a little iffy to me!
;^)

August 12, 2003 08:14 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Ignored By Seller

Posted By Floyd Blue

Sal,
You are a constant complaint around here anymore. I don't doubt that the man does not wish to do business with you.

I am not trying to be mean, but personally I would not sell you anything after the way you have posted on this forum.

The man does not owe you an explanation, it is his right to refuse to answer email if he wishes. He can refuse to sell anything if he wishes. He is under no obligation to answer, sell just because someone offers to buy.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I for one am tired of you constant complaining about people. I think you need to step back from the keyboard for a couple of days and consider what you are saying before you post anything more.

You may place a rating on the man, but he may place one on you as well. I don't think that you have the right at this time to place a bad rating on a man because he did not reply to your offer.

Thank you for listening,
Floyd

August 14, 2003 03:28 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Light Shrouds, secondary covers and cases.

Posted By Floyd Blue

I am thinking about starting to make custom sized Light Shrouds, secondary end covers and secondary soft packing cases.

I am trying to find out if there would be enough interest to make it worth my while to post an ad. The ads cost $4 so I am trying to be frugal! :^)

I am not asking anyone to buy them here, so please do not ask for prices. Herb would not like that! :^) I am just asking for responses as to need or interest for these items. If there is a demand I will post an add and price sheet on Astromart.

I have looked around the internet and no one is really offering these anywhere I have looked.

I have posted a picture showing what I am wanting to offer.
Thanks,
Floyd

August 14, 2003 04:02 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Anyony use a video eyepiece?

Posted By Floyd Blue

I have the Meade unit. It is about like a 7-10mm Plossl in magnification and FOV. It will show a planet, barely. It shows the moom and sun well. Stars, clusters, nebulas, NO WAY!
I use it at Public Star Parties for Solar viewing and Moon shots and sometimes a planet so that many people can see it at once without waiting in line.