My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Floyd Blue

October 6, 2003 11:06 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

EP tray.

Posted By Floyd Blue

I made an EP tray that I thought you might find interesting. It is for the NS8GPS scope. I have made a few of them for myself and others. Nice and simple and not too hard to build with good looks too. If you like it you can copy it or whatever. I have also made them to hold three 2" and six 1.25" EPs with the same design and tray.
Also you might note the white landing pad I made to align the 3 bolts for the scope mount. It works very well and again not too difficult to make. Drop the scope on the pad and rotate until you hear the clunk of it falling into place and just stick the bolts in the holes. Very simple.
Floyd

October 7, 2003 12:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Focuser travel question

Posted By Floyd Blue

I just ordered a FeatherTouch with the 2.5" travel. I now have the DX3 with 1.8" travel. I need the extra back focus to use the 8.8mm UWA and the 12mm Nagler T-4 without having to use the 1.25" adapter to give me the back focus I need.
I am wondering if I should have gone with the extra .5" travel or just used the 2"-1.25" Adapter? I don't like having to reach for the adapter when I use these EPs, but I do worry a little about intrusion with the focuser barrel into the secondary. The additional .7" doesn't seem like much to me, but I have not seen the 2.5" travel FeatherTouch installed before. I do use a bit of back focus for most of the EPs I have now.
What do you all think that have a bit of experience with this situation? I have seen someone recently tht thought the 2.5" was excessive.
Floyd

October 7, 2003 11:03 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

To Don Clemment concerning his focuser

Posted By Floyd Blue

Don,
I certainly am not knocking your fine looking focuser.

I want you to know that I appreciate the fact that you are trying to break new ground with a new design that is very unique and ingenious. I know that you worked very hard in designing and developing your system and deserve a good return for your hard work.

I hope that no one misunderstood my comments concerning the Clemment Focuser. I was only stating why I did not buy it do to the demands of my own system.

My stating that his focuser was large and heavy was not to be unkind or critical but to make clear why I chose the FeatherTouch over it. Many can take advantage of this focuser, but I have too much weight at that end of my scope already and have to have a 5 lb weight on the mirror box to make balance. Another 1 lb of weight would have required even more weight and this was not feasible for me.

Please take a look at his design and make up your own mind as to whether it could be of service on your scope.

Again Don, I hope you didn't think I was trying to run down your fine design.
Floyd

October 8, 2003 10:50 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

A word about Joe Cartolano

Posted By Floyd Blue

Sorry for the error in saying he was with Moonlite, this was a mistake due to a mixup.
He makes his own focusers and adapters and is not with Moonlite.
I would also like to thank Joe Cartolano for all his input. He spent a bit of time telling me about his focusers and I appreciate his efforts.
I would have purchased his focuser if it were not for a few factors that I had to consider for my particular scope and situation.
He appears to be very good at customer service and I would recommend him as an alternative to the FeatherTouch if you are in the market for a new focuser.
Thanks Joe,
Floyd

October 8, 2003 12:14 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Stiction on Azimuth

Posted By Floyd Blue

I took the rocker box apart and cleaned the teflon and all surfaces with Windex followed with pure 99% alcohol and reassembled it. Now the only stiction is after it has been sitting for a while and it is nominal.
I think that any waxes I have tried have actually caused more stiction rather than eliminating it.
SO I have to admit that it is better to have a clean surface than a lubricated surface.
Just thought I would pass it on to you.
Floyd

October 9, 2003 10:42 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Paracorr, is it necessary?

Posted By Floyd Blue

At what f/ratio does the Paracorr become useful. Does it make a f/5 improve or is is mainly for f/4-f/4.5? I have not been able to get a chance to try one out on my 15" f/4.9 and am curious as to whether there would be big gains using one.
I don't really see any coma to speak of, but they claim a lot of improvement with its use.
Floyd

October 11, 2003 11:24 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

For those with a Laser collimator

Posted By Floyd Blue

I have attached a printable picture of an aiming reticle that can be cut out and glued to the bottom of the laser to aid in collimation. My LaserMax did not have this so I just took a photo of a laser that did and enhanced the lines to be darker and then sized it to fit the 1.25" end of the laser. Print it and it should be about the size you need. Just cut out the reticle from the picture and punch out the dark center and glue into place with rubber cement and your ready to go. I find that it make it very easy to find the center of the hologrid when it is projected to the end of the laser now.
Use it if you want to give it a try, it should work for about any laser.
Floyd

October 11, 2003 11:53 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Cooling fan installations with power supply

Posted By Floyd Blue

Here are pictures of the cooling fan system that I installed onthe scope. I also included the 3 amp battery I use for the power supply. The battery sits on the rocker box and is held by 5 round velcro patches.
The flat fan is made from a computer cooling fan that installs into a expansion slot to cool cards. It blows accross the fan surface. Can be purchased at any store that carries computer parts or supplies. The other fan is a regular cooling fan you can purchase a radio shack.
If you like any part of it you are welcome to use it.
It works very well to cool the mirror and to eliminate the heat induced distortions.
Floyd

October 13, 2003 12:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Baffles in a DOB

Posted By Floyd Blue

Has anyone ever made a DOB with internal light baffles?
If so, where did you place them?
Did they do any good increasing contrast?
I have flocked the secondary with good results, sky appears a bit darker, and have flocked the inside of the hole for the focuser tube. Not sure whether it made any real changes.
I am trying to get the best constrast possible with my DOB. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Floyd

October 15, 2003 03:55 PM Forum: Religion

Let us not forget reality.

Posted By Floyd Blue

When we think we have all the answers, we only find we have more questions.