Posts Made By: Ken Fiscus

December 2, 2011 11:48 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Anybody ever make an occulting bar for an EP?

Posted By Ken Fiscus

Just beginning to think about finding the Pup (Sirius B) for the 1st time. I'm going to get the Horsehead too. Is finding either of these objects made easier by an occulting bar in the EP? How does one go about making a bar? (I was thinking a piece of black electrical tape.)

December 15, 2011 09:09 PM Forum: After Dark

Anyone Try for the DAYTIME Naked-Eye Comet?

Posted By Ken Fiscus

Spaceweather.com is saying that Comet Lovejoy MIGHT brighten to naked-eye visibility today. I saw McNaught at noon several years ago. We're totally cloud covered here in Minnesota. Good luck to anyone tries if it continues to brighten.

January 7, 2012 12:18 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Filter Slide Question(s)

Posted By Ken Fiscus

I enjoy making my own astro equipment when feasible. I use an Orion 10" dob (f/4.7 with 2" focuser) and currently have two 1.25" filters. I'm tired of the thread-on, thread-off routine and would like to make my own filter slide using my 1.25" filters. Is it possible to use these filters without cutting off the outside of the light cone?

I have nothing against buying the Astrocrumb slide other than the apparent need to (gulp!) buy 2" filters...

January 31, 2012 06:08 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Have I/we been had?

Posted By Ken Fiscus

I recently bought a used 1.25" Lumicon UHC filter here on AM. Upon opening the blue Lumicon case with the expected stickers and handwritten percentages, I found that the filter's ring had no writing on it at all. I was expecting to see "Lumicon UHC" in white all-caps around the outside. Are there older Lumicons that DON'T have labeling? The seller is distressed at this possibility as well. He acquired the filter in a sizable collection of stuff, and paid top dollar as I did. Any experiences to point us in the right direction?

February 26, 2012 08:05 PM Forum: Star Parties

Questions about star party etiquette

Posted By Ken Fiscus

My observing buddy and I are planning on attending our first REAL star party this summer (Nebraska Star Party). We've stargazed for years but always solo or in small groups. We'll be taking at least one 12 scope and a pair of 30x125 binos. Please reply with do's and don'ts not listed below:

Neither of us smokes or drinks
We'll not use our green lasers
Parking in designated areas and with headlights off

How long does one stay at the EP of a host's scope?
How do you know if someone using a scope is open to visitors?
Are there people at a star party that AREN'T open to visitors?

March 23, 2012 12:32 AM Forum: After Dark

What do you use for fast-breaking astro news?

Posted By Ken Fiscus

I'd like a heads-up right away when things like the supernova in Leo (M-95) happen. I'm afraid it will have faded before the skies clear again. Any recommendations for reliable solar system and deep sky alerts?

July 8, 2012 05:50 AM Forum: Mounts

Nothing left to do but varnish...My best project

Posted By Ken Fiscus

Just got done with a 3-day build. This is my own design for a dob base for my practically-new Zhumell Z12 bought here on Astromart. It's sitting on a dedicated EQ platform (Atomic EQ Platforms, sadly out of business now).

I still have to put on 4 coats of heavy duty Spar polyurethane and then the Ebony Star bearing ring from ScopeStuff.

May 31, 2015 04:55 AM Forum: Telescope Making

My New Outreach Scope is ALMOST Done...

Posted By Ken Fiscus

most of the fun stuff is done anyway. This is a hybrid (too pretty to call a Frankenscope) made from a 12" Lightbridge and a 12" Zhumell (both GSO scopes). The top tube and trusses are LightBridge and the bottom is the former top of a parted-out Z12. I chose to use the top end of the Z12 to experiment with a boundary layer fan. It will blow across the primary through the 3" hole that used to host the focuser. I installed original-model aluminum adjustable alt bearings. Everything is going to get painted an attractive medium gray.

The base is a knock-down dob base that weighs only 21 pounds. The stock base weighs 40 pounds and is 5" taller. It's most eye-catching feature is an operational planisphere in the groundboard. The 400 stars and Milky Way are wood burned into the knotless Baltic Birch. I plan on staining the uprights and base with MinWax Ebony stain and just clear varnishing the groundboard.

I still have to install the flocking, Astrocrumb filter slide rails (original style), and 3" boundary layer fan. I already have an Astrozap light shroud ready to install when everything else is ready. I rotated the spider 45 degrees to accommodate the filter slide. I also rotated the focuser 45 degrees for ease of use. The top end has the bases for a Telrad and optical finder. I still need to wood burn the numerical labels for the dates on the groundboard and the dates on the base.

May 31, 2015 05:21 AM Forum: Star Parties

Planning on Attending the 2015 Nebraska Star Party

Posted By Ken Fiscus

Starts Sunday, July 12 this year. Great people and lots of fun. Hope to meet some fellow Astromarters out there.

February 19, 2003 06:11 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Shipping Method

Posted By Ken Fiscus

I just sold the mirrors from my old 10" dob. on Astromart. I'm packing the stuff in an oversized cardboard box with custom fit pink foam insulation. There will also be a few strategically located pieces of thin masonite (old clipboard)helping the foam. The primary will ride in its cell. The secondary will be riding inside a plastic bottle. I include the names of both parties INSIDE the box then tape every edge and seam top and bottom like there's no tomorrow. I also insure the contents for full value.