My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Ken Fiscus

February 19, 2003 09:18 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Shipping Method

Posted By Ken Fiscus

Sorry, John! I wondered if that's what you meant but went off topic anyway. I've had bad experiences with UPS and FedEx. For small things, I just use the USPS. I don't know which freight company to trust with these mirrors. The other people who took pix while packing were correct.
Ken

March 3, 2003 03:33 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

buying a scope for school

Posted By Ken Fiscus

I've taught Earth Science and Astronomy to 9th graders for 12 years and just use dobsonians. I'm always with the kids when we're stargazing. I've taught people of every age from 4 yrs. to 90 with these scopes, most with my old blue Coulter 10". The only way I'd want an equatorial mount would be if it was on a permanent pier. I collimate before starting and tell everybody that they can't break anything- just don't touch any glass surface (secondary or eyepiece). A significant percentage of people who look through the scopes think seeing the Earth's rotation was one of the coolest things I showed them. For little kids, I like to use my Astroscan. It's bulletproof and kid resistant. My advice-get a scope that can be bumped into and used, not one that needs to be polar aligned and worried about.

May 4, 2003 05:02 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

beautiful bolide...

Posted By Ken Fiscus

You are SO lucky! I've never gotten to hear one.

May 10, 2003 04:31 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Downtown Viewing

Posted By Ken Fiscus

Charlie, you're probably using the right topic but I think more people hit the Deep Sky topic out of habit or since it's nearer the top of the screen. Several people have shared plans for Nat. Astro. Day, including me with my Walk Through the Solar System. Looks like we'll get rain and my scopes won't get used to show the moon, Jupiter, or Saturn. I picked up a new Meade electronic eyepiece on Astromart and tried it out on my college night class students and it got applause the moment I got it turned on and focused on the moon. Very nice and affordable way to get large pictures of the moon and bright planets to groups without people waiting in line.
Good luck.
Ken

May 11, 2003 05:17 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Total Lunar Eclipse

Posted By Ken Fiscus

Keep good thoughts. Forecasts that far in advance can change. Good luck.

July 18, 2003 04:41 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Optical Question-Reverse Barlow?

Posted By Ken Fiscus

Thank you for replying. I was worried I'd get no help with the fur flying in the other posts.
Ken

July 18, 2003 04:46 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Optical Question-Reverse Barlow?

Posted By Ken Fiscus

I've been using it to great effect for "sidewalk" astronomy sorts of things with my Astroscan. It has a focal length of something like 430 mm. If there isn't a visual focal reducer in 1.25" out there, I'll have to make a coupling for it to fit on a spare 50mm finder I have. This seems a bit extreme but could still prove cool. Then I could get more visual experiences for the public simultaneously. Thank you for your help and I'd look forward to any other ideas. Ken

February 27, 2004 03:37 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

SCAM #467

Posted By Ken Fiscus

I'm amazed and thankful for all the things you do for us. Thank you.
Ken

March 8, 2004 04:39 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Coronado PST, how does it focus?

Posted By Ken Fiscus

Their site says "patented internal focusing mechanism" also. I think that even though the eyepiece is fixed in place, something gives inside somewhere. What's the little doohickey at the bottom back corner?

I asked some of these same questions in this forum a few days ago and a guy who actually got to look through an earlier model may be able to help us out if he checks this forum again.

The Anacortes site says there is a modification being done that will delay availability until second half of March. Anybody have a feel for my chances at one by the June 8 Venus transit?

March 12, 2004 03:05 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Help determining a fair price for older 10" newt

Posted By Ken Fiscus

I'd agree with the $300 price. Up to $400 if the views were surprisingly good and you already have a mount for it.
Ken