My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Doug Smith

May 3, 2004 08:36 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

shipping an OTA

Posted By Doug Smith

I am about to ship an SCT to a buyer and would like the groups input. My first thoughts are to wrap the tube in several layers of bubble wrap and then pad the corners of the box with dense foam. I also thought foam at each end of the OTA would be of benefit. My intent is to get a box that is at least as big as to allow several inches on all sides and the ends. Do any of you have any experiences that you could pass along. I want this to get to the other end with both the buyer and myself satisfied.
Clear skies. Doug Smith

July 21, 2004 04:44 AM Forum: Pet Pics

Our newest

Posted By Doug Smith

Here is our newest rescue Newman. He is 7 1/2 years old and came to us two weeks before Christmas 03. He is a prototypical Newf being a gentle giant and love sponge.

Doug Smith

May 31, 2003 12:56 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Tuff Life

Posted By Doug Smith

Robert,

A most beautiful picture. My living room is currently inhabited by 4 of these. Two are ours and two are rescues needing new homes. Two blondes and two reds. I love just about every breed but a well bred Golden with a good temperament is a cut above.

Tummy rubs to Cody
Doug

September 14, 2003 12:31 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Astonished & Disappointed - Please Comment

Posted By Doug Smith

Gary,

To add to the 2 previous posts, I was very active and then took some timeaway from the hobby for about 8 years. I just got back into onserving again this summer and find that I have lost some observing skill. I am regaining it fast but am rusty. It really takes a while to really "see" with a telescope. As with any skill it takes practice. Please give yourself some more time and experience before deciding.

April 15, 2004 04:14 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Skunk Chaser?,

Posted By Doug Smith

In our previous home we used to have a reverse colored female who came into the yard frequently. She was white where she should have been black and vice versa. She visited me a few times while observing and once she walked over my foot as I was concentrating at the eyepiece. I never knew she was there until that moment. I spoke to her and suggested I would be more comfortable if she gave me some space which she did. One summer she had two babies which she brought into the yard to play when I was observing. They were so cute pouncing on each other and frolicking around the yard. I knew we had a high level of mutual trust for her to bring her children around me. They will leave humans alone as long as we do the same for them plus they eat the grubs off the lawn saving us from having to put expensive and poisonous materials into the enviroenment. I find skunks to be one of the more intelligent wild animals.

July 21, 2004 04:50 AM Forum: Pet Pics

Our newest

Posted By Doug Smith

Here are Newmans Golden brothers. The red dog on left is Macintosh and is 7 1/2 years and the straw colored on right is Rabb. Mac is also a rescue that we got away from a puppy mill. Rabb is our only non rescue dog.

July 21, 2004 01:29 PM Forum: Pet Pics

Rare Moment

Posted By Doug Smith

Mike,

Terrific picture. That definitely puts a smile on my face. We have a Bassett named Freckles who visits us a couple of times a year when his humans go on a trip. They are a great breed and full of personality. Freckles likes to chase our Golden Rabb around the dining room table but Rabb having much longer legs will get far enough ahead to come up from behind as if to lap Freckles. At this point Freckles stops and turns around and barks loudly at Rabb as if to say that is not how the game is played. I get lots of smiles when I walk the entire group with the Bassett, 2 Goldens and a Newfie we have all heights covered.

Doug