Captured by
Yue Ma

WR 134

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jim Moscheck

December 17, 2005 02:00 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Only 4 days left

Posted By Jim Moscheck

Who else gets mugged here by having a birthday close to Xmas?[/quote]
Dave,
I used to get this all the time when I was a kid. Now my college aged kids have picked up on it too: "See Dad, it's for your birthday and Xmas combined." Sheesh, if I tried that with them.........

December 19, 2005 02:07 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

2 Star Alignment for Meade LXD 650/750

Posted By Jim Moscheck

Keith Lawson said:
Does anyone who owns a Meade Apo and mount know if there is a way to do a 2 star alignment without using polaris as one of the stars?

I have an LX200, but I think the software is similar on both the older LX and the LXD. I think what they mean is a more critical "polar" alighnment. The only way the do a two star alignment on my platform without having to use Polaris in in Alt/Az mode which your equatorial obviously can't do. In EQ mode with a wedge I always have to start with Polaris and then center the next star it picks for you. If that star is obscured you can pick another manually. You can sync on a star for better accuracy that general area, but it doesn't help your polar accuracy.

Jim

January 16, 2006 06:25 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

OIII ON M42?????

Posted By Jim Moscheck

Hi Bob,
I have had both and came to the same conclusions. I first had the ultrablock and then had the chance to buy a Televue OIII. The ultrablock was better in the city, but the OIII blew me away from a dark sky site. Try to get to some dark skies with that OIII to see M42 before spring to see for yourselves. The view of the Veil Nebula in the summer was much better in the OIII, too. All the OIII filters that I have I've looked through at club observing sessions had less light tranmission and higher contrast than the ultrablock. I've since sold the ultrablock, but I do miss having it my light polluted backyard.

Cheers,
Jim Moscheck
SE Michigan

January 23, 2006 02:26 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Sale on Televue eyepieces.....

Posted By Jim Moscheck

Hi Jay,
What an eyepiece the 26 T5 is! I bought one here on AM in November and what with the weather we've had in the midwest I finally had first light with it last Saturday night at a dark site. All I can say is WOW. I only used that and a 12 T4 once in a while all night long and was very happy with the views in my SCT. I'm going to be building a larger dob in the near future and can't wait to see what they can do with more aperature and a wider field.
Jim Moscheck
Living under the light dome of SE Michigan.

January 24, 2006 02:20 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Support Question

Posted By Jim Moscheck

Confused? :S You bet Hugh. I mull it over and soon I'll have my very own "wanted" post 8) .
Thanks for the answers,
Jim

March 14, 2006 06:56 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Focuser for LX-90

Posted By Jim Moscheck

Doug Grebe said:

If you were looking for a better focuser for a LX-90,

Doug Grebe

Hi Doug,
Obviously not for imaging but for visual use I made a version of the Jiffy focuser. For the price of a jar of Peanut Butter, a pvc fitting, and some plastic cement you get a fine focus knob which works great. This one differs from the one on mapug.com by using the pvc fitting which enables you the have a "two speed" focuser.
Jim Moscheck
Allen Park, Michigan

March 16, 2006 01:09 PM Forum: Politics

Things are REALLY going down hill!

Posted By Jim Moscheck

Well, she's a whole lot smarter than I thought she was!

March 16, 2006 06:01 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Fine focuser

Posted By Jim Moscheck

For visual or for photography? If visual, see Message #425809. Don't laugh, it works great.

March 19, 2006 02:20 PM Forum: Eyepieces

EPs for 12" f5 Dob?

Posted By Jim Moscheck

Hi Mark,
I have a XT10 f4.7 and wide field EPs work pretty good in it. I've collected my EPs one at a time and find when I buy a good one like a nagler or panoptic I rarely want to sell them.
But as you are just getting started I'd recommend the TV plossel's. When you want to upgrade
( and you will wink ) they will hold their resale better than others.

March 24, 2006 02:21 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Planetary filters

Posted By Jim Moscheck

For the mars opposition of '03 on the recommendation of my local telescope shop I bought a 1.25" Celestron Baeder Contrast booster. Works great on Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, and as a bonus it helps on nebulas. It's now the only planetary filter in my case.