Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jim Moscheck

April 4, 2006 08:06 PM Forum: Politics

Re: Dems distracted by McKinney

Posted By Jim Moscheck

Jeff,
LOL That post made my day!

April 6, 2006 02:17 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade wedge for 8" LX200: standard or ultra?

Posted By Jim Moscheck

Hi Ruslan,
I used both a Super Wedge, which is the previous version of the Ultra Wedge, with my 8" LX200 and it was much more stable than the standard wedge for the 7" and 8" scopes. You could call it overkill for visual use, but with imaging the standard wedge is useless.

You can pick up a good used example of the SW here on AM for @ 250-275. Be aware that the center of gravity of my 8" LX was not exactly centered over the tripod which could cause a problem if the tripod legs are extended. I always image with them set to their lowest height and it has worked out great.

I've never used a de-rotater, but I hear they are not so good.

April 14, 2006 07:43 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

How old are you???

Posted By Jim Moscheck

I'm 48, happily married for 23, two great kids in college, and broke. I've been interested in astronomy for as long as I can remember thanks to my father. My first look into a telescope was as a sophmore at Western Michigan U. in Astronomy 101. Didn't have a real telescope of my own until about 5 years ago.

Cool thread.

April 21, 2006 05:19 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Newt VS Cass

Posted By Jim Moscheck

Hi Dan,
A SN usually has a faster mirror than most SC i.e the meade LXD SN are @ f/4 while my LX200 SC was f/10. This makes the SN give a more wide field of view than a SC. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but the correcter plate on the SN corrects the coma of the faster mirror.

April 24, 2006 12:24 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

What Do You Do Aside From Astronomy?

Posted By Jim Moscheck

In no particular order:

1. Life-long amatuer musician and I enjoy most types of music. Lately it just been acoustic guitar at church.
2. Woodworking, mostly furniture but also observing chairs and other astro related projects.
3. Riding my 20 year old Schwinn Mesa Runner around town.
4. College football Saturdays at Alma College (sophmore son) and Western Michigan U. (myself, my wife, and my senior daughter) or the University of Michigan(my wife)GO BLUE!.
5. Red Wings hockey. Have had season tickets since Yzermans rookie year.

June 13, 2006 01:38 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Newbie Eyepiece recommendation for a 10in DOB

Posted By Jim Moscheck

Hi David,
In my experience I've been through a lot of EPs. I wish I would have stuck with the plossls until I had the chance to try out different EPs to see what I liked. I've bought and sold many different ones only to find out I'm better off with a few great ones than a lot OK ones. Lately I've rediscovered the Orion/Vixen Lanthanum superwides ( not to be confused with the Orion Stratus) and like them very much. About $150 used here on AM.
My 2 cents..........

June 28, 2006 07:58 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

My battery ate my mirror!

Posted By Jim Moscheck

Hi Larry,
No, I had never heard of outgassing affecting the mirror coatings, but it's good to know.

This past weekend I had the opportunity to observe a bit with Eric at Lake Hudson RA in SE Michigan. He had just recieved the 28" f4 w/Kennedy mirror back from Dave B. after his review of it. All I can say is WOW. The seeing was very good for Michigan and the view of M13 through a bino viewer was incredible. M51 showed gobs of detail, and the Swan Nebula looked like a photograph. I hardy looked through my 10" dob at all as I also had my first look through a Starmaster 18" that a friend just bought. Eric is making me a mirror cell for my first ATM project, a 14.5" f4.3 and I kept shaking my head asking myself if 14.5" will be enough. :S At least it'll be easier to move and I won't have any long lines at starparties. 8)

June 28, 2006 08:51 PM Forum: Telescope Making

lx200 cradle ideas??

Posted By Jim Moscheck

Hi Glen,
Doc G. of MAPUG fame has made a few cradles for wide field cameras. Just go to:

http://www.mapug-astronomy.net/

Here's a direct link for the saddle:

http://www.mapug-astronomy.net/ragreiner/LX200SaddleMount.html

June 30, 2006 10:12 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Results of 3 favorite eyepiece thread

Posted By Jim Moscheck

Robin Hammer said:

I tallied all of the answers I could and sorted through them. Here is what I found:

It appears that the average person has a 9.9?, f/6.9, fl=1548mm scope

If you could only have one eyepiece: 18mm

If you could only have 3 eyepieces: 25mm, 18mm, 12mm

The chart below shows the major 2 groups the answers fell into.

Appears that I'm pretty darn average :S , with a little faster scope.
XT10i f4.7 1200mm
26T5
17T4
12T4
If I HAD to live with just these I'd be content. smile

July 3, 2006 01:15 PM Forum: After Dark

What can I can expect to see at Red Lake, Ontario?

Posted By Jim Moscheck

Hi Brian,

I live at 42N and complain about this time of year. It doesn't get dark here in Michigan till after 11PM and morning twilight starts about 4AM. sad

August is a little better but you'll also have the Full Moon to contend with. I've seen the Northern Lights on many summer vacations "up north", but not every one. Again, I think it would be better without the Moon.

Now if you were going in the winter I'm sure the sky would be beautiful but very cold. :S