Captured by
Yue Ma

WR 134

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jim Moscheck

July 19, 2006 07:38 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Just saw M45!

Posted By Jim Moscheck

M45 is a very large naked eye cluster best seen in binoculars or a wide field telescope. Now that you know where it is you'll follow it the rest of the year till it is visible at sunset in the west next spring. The nebula is hard to see visually unless under really dark skies.

The Moon will pass in front of M45 late tonight IIRC. Check Sky and Telescope for exact times for your location. Just the opposite of the occultation last spring. It will be harder to see the stars wink out because the bright limb is leading. I observed the occultation last spring in Georgia and really enjoyed it.

Congratulations on your first Messier object!

Here's a link to S&T's observing highlights:

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/ataglance/article_110_1.asp

August 4, 2006 02:50 PM Forum: Politics

Bush and the Goldilocks economy

Posted By Jim Moscheck

Dwight Bogan said:
While I'm currently in Michigan visiting I've noticed a lot of homes for sale not moving and the prices are as much as 30% lower than in Phoenix Ariz. I also saw an advertisement for Uhaul rentals that they would give a substantial discount if you bring the truck or trailer you rented back to the issuing store. I'm wondering where these people who are leaving Michigan are going too.

I'd bet houses are more than 30% lower here. I've had friends move back to Michigan and they are floored with how much house they can buy for the same money as elsewhere. I was recently "up north" and couldn't believe the number of cottages for sale everywhere. Michigan live and dies on the auto industry and the bozos in charge of them keep cranking out huge SUVs and pick-up trucks when they should be working on high mileage and alternative energy vehicles. I'm not in the auto industry myself, but I have friends who are running scared and very worried about the future. Not a pretty picture.

On a more positive note, would the last one to leave please turn out the lights. Less people should mean less light pollution!

August 6, 2006 07:44 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Eyepiece Forum, Open Forum, Equal Forum

Posted By Jim Moscheck

Floyd,
I don't blame you for being miffed about the nit pickers here in this forum and elsewhere in the forums. I'm mostly a lurker and only add comments when I can help, mostly in the beginners forum. While I read most of the forums that interest me I really feel that there are some who would argue a point just for the sake of argument or one upmanship. I fell sorry for these folks and can just say that maybe they should get out and observe more and spend less time tearing apart someones opinions.

Indirectly you've helped me pare down my EPs to only five that I use all the time, and I have sold or traded the rest. Without the advice and help from you and others here I'd probably have spent a lot more money than I did, and that's very valuable to me.

Thanks,

August 7, 2006 10:12 AM Forum: Eyepieces

12mmT4 vs. 11 or 13mmT6

Posted By Jim Moscheck

I switched from a 13T6 to a 12T4 mainly for comfort and eye relief. They both work great in my f4.7 dob with no edge problems in either. It's a little tricky positioning your eye at first, but I quickly adjusted to it. Also, I was always cleaning eyelash oil off of the T6, I've never cleaned the T4 in the two years I've had it. YMMV

August 10, 2006 08:09 PM Forum: Telescope Making

It....Is....ALIVE!!

Posted By Jim Moscheck

Bill Byrd said:

[COLOR="Purple"]...To quote Gene Wilder in "Young Frankenstein".

Bill[/COLOR]

My favorite movie of all time. Maybe some of your troubles with the scope are due to the fact that Igor grabbed the brain marked Abby Normal. wink

August 10, 2006 08:22 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Full Moon + Sunglasses = Good Views

Posted By Jim Moscheck

What a good idea.

When I got my first scope I looked at the full moon and nearly blinded myself, well, at least it felt like it at the time. I now use a variable polarizing filter when the mmon get to bright, but I never would have thought of the sunglasses.

August 13, 2006 07:23 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Astro Solutions LLC??

Posted By Jim Moscheck

I've notice this, too. Guess they don't "solve" much.

August 18, 2006 09:53 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Narrowband and O-III filters

Posted By Jim Moscheck

For price alone I'd recommend both the Orion Ultrablock and OIII. I had an Ultrablock with SCT threads which I liked a lot, but I need to replace it with a regular 2". I bought a TV OIII on sale which I use regularly, esspecially on the Veil, but compared to other OIII filters the TV seems to let a little more light through. I think it is a pleasing view, but others have commented that it wasn't a "true" OIII filter.

September 7, 2006 10:40 AM Forum: Politics

I hope these guys are just kidding!!!!!!

Posted By Jim Moscheck

It is the land of fruits and nuts. wink

September 11, 2006 08:08 AM Forum: Politics

Photo Op

Posted By Jim Moscheck

Not so dramatic wouldn't you say?

Nice wading pool.