My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Pete Yeomans

November 9, 2002 10:48 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Lumicon -Where are you?

Posted By Pete Yeomans

This afternoon I called Lumicon and got a recording saying that they are out of business. When did this happen? Are their encoders available through someone else? Help!

November 11, 2002 07:39 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Encoders 4000 vs 8000

Posted By Pete Yeomans

Due to a crushed azimuth encoder, I am in the market for replacements. The system consists of a truss Dob and SkyCommander with Lumicon encoders- Hi Res 4000.
Does anyone have practical experience with upgrading to 8000 step encoders? Is there any appreciable or practical improvement in pointing accuracy? The present 4000 step ones put the object in FOV most of the with a reasonable initial alignment. Any comments or suggestions as to brands also appreciated. Thanks for your time.

December 29, 2002 05:02 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Lets try again, Saturn and M1

Posted By Pete Yeomans

Just now, I was watching Saturn from the front yard and noticed a blurr in the lower right quadrant of the field of the 32mm Plossl. Assuming it was a smudge, I tried to clean the eyepiece before realizing what was there. They are about 0.5 degrees apart- looks really neat.

August 6, 2004 05:24 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Summer meteor showers

Posted By Pete Yeomans

Good morning, Does anyone have info on when the next meteor shower visible in the southeastern US will be at peak?

December 31, 2004 08:22 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Heaters for a refractor.

Posted By Pete Yeomans

The recent cold weather has shown the need for heaters on my 120mm. Should the heater for the objective lens be mounted on the lens hood, the lens cell, or the body of the scope? All are metal. Subsidary heaters to the EP and finders are no trouble. Any suggestions as to wattage? I will be making the heater elements from scratch using a plastic coated resistance wire. Thanks, Pete

January 8, 2005 06:57 AM Forum: Eyepieces

22mm lens- informed opinions needed

Posted By Pete Yeomans

Can anyone give me their views on different lenses in this approximate focal length? I have a 22mm Panoptic on order, so naturally I wait till now to ask. Thanks

June 1, 2009 07:34 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Secondary considerations

Posted By Pete Yeomans

Hi, I am trying to work out the details of an 8" f7 Dobsonian before building and have a few questions regarding the size range of secondary mirrors. Using NEWT, I get a range of mirror sizes from 1.2" upward that appear acceptable. What should the diameter of the 100% illuminated field be if I'm using Naglers and Pentax lenses of 14mm or less? At 1.2" it's only 0.0041,while @1.5" it is 0.4363 which seems to be a huge jump for a small increase in size of obstruction.
Regards, Pete

February 6, 2012 06:19 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

O III filters

Posted By Pete Yeomans

Hi, Can someone with user experience contrast and compare the different O III filters being offered by Lumicon, Orion, Baader, and others? Is the precision of the $200+ filters worth the price difference being asked? I assume the more precise the cutoff the higher the price, what other factors are involved? Thanks for your input.

February 15, 2012 11:34 AM Forum: Refractors

Focusers for refractors

Posted By Pete Yeomans

Hi, I have been out ot the loop for several years but have now retired and trying to get back into the swing of things. I have an older Synta 120mm f7.8 OTA (dark blue) and I would like to upgrade the focuser from the original R&P. I need something that will allow more precise focusing. It looks like there is a collar fastened with 3 screws onto the OTA into which the current focuser fits and acts as step down in diameter. Do you know of a reasonably priced, sub $200.00, upgrade crayford type focuser that will fit? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Pete

January 8, 2005 05:44 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Comet passes through Pleiades in rainy Southern Ca

Posted By Pete Yeomans

I was out 15" ago with binoculars and I musy say you captured the essence of it in you masterful image. Wait till tomorrow.