My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Pete Yeomans

January 10, 2005 02:25 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Comet and Pleiades

Posted By Pete Yeomans

Out of curiosity, What kind of tracking did you use? Looks very sharp.

January 10, 2005 02:43 PM Forum: Reflectors

Thinking of moving to 8" or 10" DOB from refractor

Posted By Pete Yeomans

Since you're fairly handy, you might consider building you own scope with purchased mirrors. It is quite straightforward, you can save money and get the f length and aperture you want for best views. I've built several now from 8~15 inches. A plus is you can keep your refractor and have the best of both worlds. David Kriege and Richard Berrys book has simple plans and lots of info is available. Regards, Pete

January 23, 2005 07:02 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Questioning the Mirror Box Cutaway

Posted By Pete Yeomans

I used a 45 degree cut on mine, purely to get clearance for the mirror box. I really can't see that a curve would be functionally different. If it pleases you, why not?

January 26, 2005 01:22 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

DSC Help. Wondering about encoder resolution

Posted By Pete Yeomans

If you can move it that far without any reading changing, you have a problem. I use 4000 steps on the dob and 8000 on my refractor. If the initial alignment is good an object will be in a low power field, often near the center. A higher power eyepiece can then be used as needed. I really can't say that the 8000 step encoders are any better and you have to move them fairly slowly so they don't "miss" steps. Hope this helps some.

January 31, 2005 10:34 AM Forum: Celestron

Replacing or repairing Ra/Dec Cables

Posted By Pete Yeomans

Any Radioshack should have the tool you need to install new plugs. The local store has an inhouse one they use for little jobs as a courtesy.

February 1, 2005 10:58 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Double Cluster/Machholz

Posted By Pete Yeomans

Love your sketches Carlos. They seem to convey more of the feel of an object than a lot of the photos I see. Keep up the great work.

February 7, 2005 07:24 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Colors in M42

Posted By Pete Yeomans

Hello Russ, Last night I had my 14.5" dob out and there is a great deal of color to be seen- deep and pale pinks, greens, and pale blues. It appears to be aperture related cause my old ten inch would almost never show color in this object.

February 20, 2005 01:52 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Virgo cluster - first time

Posted By Pete Yeomans

Sounds like a wonderful night! I envy your clear skies, nothing but rain/clouds here for far too long. grin

May 1, 2009 01:41 PM Forum: SCI-FI

WORST MOVIES

Posted By Pete Yeomans

Gotta be Reptilicus - the beast that devoured Copenhagen, or John Travolta's Scientology epic.

February 17, 2012 11:48 PM Forum: Mounts

AC Adapter for a Vixen SD-1 Drive?

Posted By Pete Yeomans

The cigarette lighter type off a 12volt DC source works well. You might want to be sure there is a fuse of less than 6 amps somewhere in line, easy to insert one from Radio Shack if yours doesn't come with one.