New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Anthony Ayiomamitis

October 10, 2003 09:54 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

S&T article from 1958

Posted By Anthony Ayiomamitis

Dear Friends,

I am in dire need of an S&T article from 1958. Is there a longterm subscriber with issues from 1958 who would be willing and able to provide me with a scan (I will provide page info)? I hate to admit it but there is no way in h*ll I will be able to locate the article locally from any library etc and must beg and plead with someone on the newsgroups.

I need a similar article from National Geographic (1972) and I will check with the local NG office on Monday.

Thanks in advance!

Anthony.

October 25, 2003 02:10 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Hi-res AR10484-10486

Dear Friends,

The sun keeps getting better and better! A couple of links for your viewing entertainment:

http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Solar-Sunspots-2003-10-25.htm
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Solar-Sunspots-AR10484-486.htm

Anthony.

November 25, 2003 04:09 PM Forum: Lost Contacts and Personal Messages

Daniel Sach ... for misrepresentation (ad #212562)

Daniel,

I have sent you multiple emails which you have ignored. I also see that you deleted your FOR SALE ad.

This is yet another attempt to contact you regarding your very misrepresentative ad.

Please respond so that we can make arrangements for you to undo your dirty work!

Anthony.

July 24, 2005 03:04 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Widefield Milky Way - EOS 300d + EOS EF-S 18-55 mm

Folks,

About two weeks ago I spent an all-nighter at Mount Parnona which is about 2.5 hrs southwest of Athens and has a limiting magnitude of at least 6.5. I was around 1450 m altitude.

The attached photo represents a SINGLE 15 minute exposure taken at ISO 100 and JPG FINE image format. Although my intention was to take a few test shots to see what I should use when I pursue my objects of interest more "seriously", I was shocked with the results.

I hope you like the attached photo ... and, yes, I am going back in less than two weeks time for a similar all-nighter.

Anthony.

July 30, 2005 11:08 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

ISS and DISCOVERY transit the sun

Dear Friends,

Here is my latest catch from a couple of days ago where I managed to nail the ISS and shuttle Discovery transitting against the sun. I have been after such a photo for four years and everything fell into place Thursday afternoon and approximately 3.5 hours the shuttle had docked to the ISS.

Enjoy: http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Sat-Trans-2005-07-28.htm

Anthony.

August 14, 2005 05:38 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Perseid Meteor Shower ... consolation prize

Having failed with previous meteor showers in the past, I took a more defensive approach this year by attempting a double target ... the Perseids and the north celestial pole region. If I fail again this year with the Perseids (which I did due to VERY low activity), I still have my polar region effort from the all-nighter.

I still need some processing to remove the irritating gaps due to the flash card's slow write speed between exposures but here is a quick preview of a potentially neat photo: http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Star-Trails-2005-08-13.htm .... there is something to be said of very dark skies!

Anthony.

February 10, 2007 11:19 PM Forum: Takahashi

Adapter locking up

Dear Group,

I would love your feedback on something which is very annoying and certainly counter-productive. I am having problems with a Tak Wide T to CCD adapter which seems to lock once it is screwed into place (so much so it is VERY difficult to remove and I must use a bench vice each and every time to get to rotate back so that it can be removed).

I must confess that I bought it used on Astromart and the seller mentioned (after the fact) that he had the same problem. When it is being attached, it seems to work fine without the slightest problem during the rotation into place. The "fun" starts at the end of the session when it is time to unscrew the adapter when wrapping things up for the evening (or when changing scopes mid-session).

Anthony.

March 9, 2007 08:10 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

A mount on steroids!

Dear Group,

Further to the discussion in another thread (Losmandy G-11 vs Mach1GTO), I would like to digress a bit and present you with the behaviour of my AP 1200GTO which was received late last summer.

The attachment involves data collection across six complete worm cycles as per the recommendation of the PEMPro software. Since the purpose of this data collection is to gather data in relation to the inherent periodic error of a given mount, PEC must be turned OFF.

Now, how smooth and repeatable is the inherent error? Especially after six full cycles representing roughly 38 minutes of operation? As indicated by the attached screen capture, the star moved from its initial position during these 38 minutes by a NET amount of 1.245" in RA and 1.370" in Dec. For the sake of completeness, this was with the OTA pointing at Dec=0.

A follow-up message will present a similar graphic with the scope pointing due east since only one attachment per message seems to be allowed.

Anthony.

October 2, 2007 11:53 AM Forum: Takahashi

Tenba case for the FSQ

Folks,

I was wondering if the TENBA case for the FSQ-N will also do for the FSQ (ie. non-retractable dew shield)?

I just measured my FSQ's length and it is 68 cm (or 27 inches). Can the TENBA case which is advertised for the FSQ-N also accomodate the FSQ? In checking the online Anacortes catalog, I do not see a separate listing for the TENBA case for the FSQ (the only listing is for the FSQ-N case).

Thanks.

Anthony.

April 18, 2008 09:24 PM Forum: Takahashi

Tak FSQ in Alt-Az mode (terrestrial use)

Dear group,

I have a couple of opportunities coming up involving the rising moon and sun against some of the ancient Greek ruins and my Tak FSQ will provide ideal image scale so that both the foreground and the background (rising sun/moon) will complement each other very nicely.

However, I am having some difficulty in identifying the best means to attach the FSQ (older version) to either my Losmandy G11 tripod-pier or a photography tripod which can accomodate such weight.

Can someone suggest a suitable head which would permit the use of my FSQ in Alt-Az mode for terrestrial use?

Thanks in advance.

Anthony.