My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mark Norby

April 21, 2003 11:21 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

5" refractor

Posted By Mark Norby

I've seen a lot of discussion of the Orion 102, etc, but was wondering if I'm the only one that has purchased the 5" from Apogee. It's my first scope, and I don't have much in the way of previous experinence with other refractors. I like the 1200, f/9.4, but was wondering this: I wasn't able to get a focus on Jupiter (this eve) with a Celestron 10mm and a barlow. Do you think this is an eyepiece issue, or a telescope optic issue? btw, I have used a 6mm Orion Expanse in it, and wish I hadn't sold it.

April 21, 2003 11:21 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

5" refractor

Posted By Mark Norby

I've seen a lot of discussion of the Orion 102, etc, but was wondering if I'm the only one that has purchased the 5" from Apogee. It's my first scope, and I don't have much in the way of previous experinence with other refractors. I like the 1200, f/9.4, but was wondering this: I wasn't able to get a focus on Jupiter (this eve) with a Celestron 10mm and a barlow. Do you think this is an eyepiece issue, or a telescope optic issue? btw, I have used a 6mm Orion Expanse in it, and wish I hadn't sold it.

April 21, 2003 11:31 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Starry Night software

Posted By Mark Norby

I have Starry Night Backyard software, and was wondering if the Pro version is worth buying, in addition to what I have. I don't have a "go to" mount, yet, but is that the only "real" addition to the program?

May 13, 2003 09:07 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Still another idea

Posted By Mark Norby

If all you need is a wall to keep stray light and breezes under control, or away from the eyepiece, how about a pentagon of 2x2s and plywood panels bolted together? Check this out, it might work. It could also have a roof, with as many panels of the roof open as you desire.
http://www.strombergschickens.com/supply_overview.htm OK, I know it's a chicken coop! I saw the idea in a book about home observatories written in the mid-seventies. I ordered a set of their "star plates", and they delivered quickly.

May 7, 2004 03:45 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

2.8x Klee vs 2.5x Powermate

Posted By Mark Norby

Any opinions? I like the price of the Klee, but know the powermate would be great, too. Should I just bite the bullet and get the Powermate? Or would I be happy with the Klee? I have a f/9.3 refractor, and a f/4 SN from Meade.

May 7, 2004 07:00 PM Forum: Telescope Making

BVC glass for mirror

Posted By Mark Norby

I'm thinking of making my first newtonian, probably a 10", maybe a 12". Is anyone familiar with BVC glass? It's available from ASM Products. It cools faster than pyrex, is lighter, and not as hard. And it can be purchased pre-ground to your requested f-ratio. Anyone have opinions? I'll have help from a well-seasoned friend. Thanks, Mark

May 29, 2004 06:50 PM Forum: Religion

Concerning communion & Catholicism

Posted By Mark Norby

The Catholic church can ban whomever they choose to ban from the communion rail. It's their club, and they make their own rules. If you don't like their rules, go somewhere else. As far as salvation is concerned, communion does not get you anywhere. It's God's grace that gives salvation, because there's nothing you nor I can do to be deserving of salvation. That's why it's called the Grace of God.

June 9, 2004 11:30 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

remote release

Posted By Mark Norby

A long time ago, (decades!) I owned a Contax RTS, and had an infrared release. Are these releases still around/anyone using one? It's ideal for setting upa camera focused on a given spot, and can be tripped from many yards away without scaring the bird(depending on how loud the camera is, focal length/distance, etc. Thanks, Mark

July 15, 2004 08:16 PM Forum: Telescope Making

cost effective?

Posted By Mark Norby

Considering that one could purchase a 12" dob with setting circles for about $1100, is it worth the time & money to make one? Then there's replacing the focuser, cell, reconfigure the mirror. I'm not all that crafty a person, but I could bolt on a few upgrades, but, again, is it cost effective? MN

July 16, 2004 09:00 AM Forum: Religion

Where is heaven?

Posted By Mark Norby

If heaven is to be on earth, forever, does that mean that God will intervene with our sun so that it never grows old/dies/blows up in our faces? Is there scriptural reference to this? (I don't think there would have to be, I'm just curious) If heaven is "out there" somewhere in the vastness of the universe, does that then mean that even after all the stars have burned out, spread out, or been consumed by black holes, God will provide the light? Will He take us to another universe?