My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mark Norby

July 23, 2006 05:12 PM Forum: Telescope Making

how round?

Posted By Mark Norby

My local glass co. has some plate that is 3/4" thick, wide enough for a 9-91/2" mirror. It will have to be hand broken to shape, cleaned up on a belt sander in their shop.
My question: How close to perfectly round does a mirror need to be to work properly? I'm expecting that we could get pretty close using a circle made with a sharpie and the belt sander, but...
What do you think?

August 22, 2006 05:15 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Magellianic clouds

Posted By Mark Norby

At what latitude do they become visible-a reasonably good view, that is.
Just dreaming of a southern vacation

August 25, 2006 10:31 PM Forum: Religion

Virgins!!

Posted By Mark Norby

I was wondering: This 72 virgins in Paradise thing that the Muslims have-Can you imagine the PMS?
Also, there had better be a recycling thing in there somewhere-72 aren't gonna last too long....

August 27, 2006 10:26 PM Forum: Religion

virgin joke

Posted By Mark Norby

Well, I sure stepped in it, didn't I?
Was my joke racist? Some think so. I meant it as a "poke" at a religious belief. Was that any worse than calling a person who believes in God a mental moron who lives in a fantasy world? I've seen such in this forum.(although I haven't visited it lately, and maybe there's less now than 2 yrs ago). How have creationists been recieved in this forum lately? And, no, I'm not a Genesis creationist.
What brought it to mind was some discussion on TV about the cartoon of Muhammad with a rocket in his turban, and the outrage of many muslims. Where is the outrage when someone-Muslim or not-verbally attacks Christianity today with the practices of Christians 100 or 1000 yrs ago?
And, for the record, I do know some Muslims. A couple of them thought the joke was funny. Not all will. I can live with that. Can you?

August 28, 2006 08:31 PM Forum: Religion

Misquoting Jesus

Posted By Mark Norby

That's the name of the book. Has anyone read it? I flipped thru it, read a chapter or 2. Basically, it's a study of how the scriptures have changed from the original texts, and why. Sometimes by accident, sometimes by mistakes in translation, sometimes on purpose to clarify or support a church(Roman Catholic)doctrine. I think it's worth a closer look. What do you think?

October 2, 2006 09:56 PM Forum: Religion

Muslim cabbies refuse rides with alcohol

Posted By Mark Norby

Kinda long subject line. Sorry. There's a story in Mpls newspaper/radio that said that cabbies in Mpls are refusing to take riders with alcohol in their possession. Not just drunken ones. It was also stated, on a radio talk show, that some Muslim cabbies refuse to take riders with groceries such as ham, or other pork products. So far it's a local phenomenon, far as I have heard. So much for religious tolerance as preached in the "Holy Quran".
Then there's the flap about the opera in Austria(?) that might offend Muslims. I read some of the posts in this forum about it. It sounds like the offensive parts were "artistic license" of the original. So what. Is offensive language really the reason for suicide bombers murdering women and children? Where is it written, in any constitution that one is guaranteed freedom from offensive language? Christians,of late, get blasted on a regular basis, but there aren't ministers or pastors, or priests that call for suicide bombers against the "heathen unbelievers". Not even in the deep south, in the notorious "Bible Belt." And I never hear of Baptist cabbies refusing to take dancers in their cabs.
But, NO, let's not make the Muslims mad, they might blow up one of our office buildings, or schools. The nut cases that would do that do not need a "good" reason to murder. They do it because their religious leader has convinced them that it's a ticket to Paradise. Sorry, for such a long post, I had to vent a bit. But I'm not sorry for what I said.

October 2, 2006 10:00 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Ultrascopics

Posted By Mark Norby

A friend of mine and I have compared his UO ortho with my similar length Ultrascopic (25mm), and both agree that the Ultrascopic is a better eyepiece. It allowed the viewing of fainter stars, with a bit better contrast.
Does anyone know where there are reviews of Ultrascopics, or comparisons including them? Anyone else use them? Is this just a "got lucky" eyepiece purchase?

October 16, 2006 09:23 PM Forum: Religion

Olympics and Ramadan

Posted By Mark Norby

Heard on the radio that the Muslims in the country where olympic events are scheduled in a few years-I forget which games/country at the moment-I think it was Iceland, want the games to be delayed because they would fall in the month of Ramadan. Ridiculous. They wouldn't be postponed for Hannakah, Passover, Christmas or Easter. I don't know any Buddhist or Hindu religions.

No, I don't dislike Muslims. I dislike some Immams using the Quran to further their own political agenda, and treat people today as they were 900 (or so)years ago-ie: death to adulterers, killing your daughter for the sake of the family honor, for converting to another religion, for speaking badly of Islam or drawing satirical cartoons of Muhammad.

November 4, 2006 07:06 PM Forum: Refractors

66mm-what's the attraction?

Posted By Mark Norby

I guess I don't get it. You can get a 80 or 90mm. So what if you get some false color-get a filter. Maybe it's just me.

November 8, 2006 10:08 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

RA/Dec to alt/az & catalogs

Posted By Mark Norby

I'm thinking of starting the OC certificiate from the Astrnomical League. Unfortunately, I don't have all of the catalogs where the required OCs are listed. Also, most always locations are given in RA/DEC. I'm using a dob with a magnetic protractor to get altitude. How can I convert RA coordinates to alt/az, and where can I get the catalogs required? Thanks for the guidance. Mark