My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mark Norby

November 30, 2006 10:33 PM Forum: Religion

Christmas giving

Posted By Mark Norby

This is probably off topic for this forum, but the thread about the Christmas season prompted me to write. It seems that the Salvation Army was asked to put up 2 kettles-one in their most successful San Francisco location, and one in Sioux Falls, SD most successful. Sioux Falls received twice the donations as S.F., in spite of having 1/4 the traffic. It seems that the S.F. attitude was that the government should be helping the needy, whereas the more conservative, and more religious Sioux Falls population gave in addition to the taxes taken for the less fortunate. It seems to be a liberal attitude. The Sioux Falls givers and the rest of the conservative in his country also gave to other charities, churches, fund raisers, etc in greater amounts. Okay, time to put on the flame-proof knickers.

December 30, 2006 10:02 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Axioms in a Lightbridge

Posted By Mark Norby

I read somewhere-don't remember where-that the Axiom series of eyepieces is not very compatible with the "faster" scopes. Can someone verify that these are not a good choice for f/5optics?

February 24, 2007 03:12 PM Forum: Religion

Mormonism

Posted By Mark Norby

I've seen references to Latter Day Saints' views on cosmology. Can someone list them? Verifiable, of course, not just speculation, please.

March 4, 2007 10:13 PM Forum: Religion

Jesus' crypt show

Posted By Mark Norby

Saw it. I thought it was interesting. I think the jury will be out for a while on this one. What was interesting is how the number of names from Mary's family were used in the ossuaries, and that the James ossuary had patina consistent with the others from that crypt. How many coincidences are needed for a pattern to become apparent? As for the future of Christianity if this is the crypt of THE Jesus, with ossuaries 0f his wife and son, well, I'll probably be worm food before it's all sorted out, so I guess it doesn't matter all that much to me. In a previous post, someone was quite adamant that for Jesus to have married, and have children would be in violation of the purpose for his being here, it seems to me that Jesus is held to be the example of the perfect human, living the perfect life. Genesis says that we (humans) were to grow and multiply. So it is not inconsistent for him to have married, since that is a very large component of a person's life, and a covenant established by God. (As written in scriptures)

April 6, 2007 11:02 AM Forum: Politics

Amendment protecting the suspicious

Posted By Mark Norby

If you recall, there were 5 Imams thrown off of a plane in Mpls. because some passengers were suspicious of their behavior, and an Arabic speaking woman was also suspicious, and came forward. The airline and the individuals are now being sued by the Imams. In an amendment to a bill in Congress, there would be protection from lawsuit for those that tell security of their suspicions. Of the 112 votes against the amendment, 112 were from Democrats.

May 17, 2007 02:39 PM Forum: Politics

Conspiracies

Posted By Mark Norby

Heard a great one on TV the other night. According to a poll, about 1 in 3 dems believe that Pres. Bush may have had prior knowledge of the 911 attack and did nothing, or orchestrated it himself. Someone pointed out: If Bush isn't smart enough to get a job as spell-checker at the M&M factory, how come he was smart enough to plan such a large attack on the towers, Pentagon, and apparently the US Capitol buildings, or get some WMDs planted in Iraq?

For the record, the poll may be very inaccurate, it may actually be only 1 in 5 or 10. But even 1in10 is a lot of nutty people.

June 4, 2007 08:40 PM Forum: Politics

Re: Thought for the day 04.06.2007

Posted By Mark Norby

You're right. We should all hold hands and sing Kumbi-yah. We'd all feel better. (Humor, everyone!!)

September 21, 2007 02:36 PM Forum: Politics

Re: University censorship

Posted By Mark Norby

Free speech and free association. Ya gotta love 'em. Funny thing, tho. Just because you have the right to say what you will, doesn't mean you have to be given a place to say it. And just because you can associate with whom you wish doesn't mean you have to be given a meeting place.

October 14, 2007 10:19 PM Forum: Religion

What we are fighting

Posted By Mark Norby

Here's a link that you should, in my opinion, take a look at. It's about a murderer, a power-hungry terrorist that started having sex with his youngest bride when she was 9yrs old.
www.prophetofdoom.net No matter what your own religious convictions are, this will prove eye-opening.

October 23, 2007 08:43 PM Forum: Religion

What we are fighting

Posted By Mark Norby

Quran2:193 And fight them until there is no more Fitnah(disbelief) and religion is only for Allah. But if they cease/desist, let there be no more hostility except against infidel disbelievers. Muslims have been ordered to fight until the only religion is Islam, and infidels have nowhere to hide. In Islam, there is no separation between church/state. There is no freedom of religion. No doubt most Muslims don't believe in converting people at gunpoint, but some do-they are a danger to all people of all nations. In Iraq, IEDs are set off that kill many civilians, The collateral damage to women and children makes no difference to them.