Posts Made By: Mark Norby

June 4, 2008 08:26 PM Forum: Politics

Associations

Posted By Mark Norby

I heard it mentioned that because of BHO's associations with the pentagon bomber,and HRC's dealings with Rose Law Firm's Whitewater billings, commodities market, etc, that neither of them would pass a FBI background check to become an agent. Also, Obama is willing to meet without precoditions Iran's presidential wingnut, and N. Korea's, but won't go to Iraq to talk to General Petreus. That speaks volumes.

July 17, 2008 02:32 AM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

alternative energy

Posted By Mark Norby

So now the oceans are acidifying. The rabid environmentalists must be apoplectic that the only real way to cut co2 emissions and provide elec power 24/7 is with nuclear power, at least at present. They can use ocean water for coolant(after desalination and treatment), and discharge only water vapor. The French, who get so much of their power from nuclear, don't seem to have an issue with waste storage. Only the rabid environmentalists do. So what's it to be? Pollute the air, acidify the oceans, or discharge water vapor and store waste-which can be reduced in volume. Oh, and there has never been a waste cask to leak its contents into the environment.

December 20, 2008 05:41 PM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

Ice caps-warm water fish

Posted By Mark Norby

I was listening to the radio the other day, and the commentator, Dennis Prager, read a news story from a British newspaper, dated 19Dec08. The story quoted a New York paper, dated 12 Dec.(Times/Wall Street Journal?) The article quoted Russian researchers stating that the ice caps were disappearing(melting),and that they found warm-water fish above arctic circle,way north of their normal habitat. They opined that the water was warming considerably, and that the ice caps could disappear completely in a few decades/a hundred yrs. Oh, btw, the paper was dated 12 Dec 1938. 9 yrs later, 1947, was Britain's coldest winter in decades, lasting into March. Still more proof of "global warming". Excuse me, "Climate Change".

December 26, 2008 03:02 AM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

ocean levels

Posted By Mark Norby

Does anyone have data concerning the ocean levels during the Medeival Warm Period and how they did/didn't change during the Little Ice Age, and how they compare to now? I think it would be interesting to compare, since it can take several hundred yrs for oceans to warm/cool.

January 26, 2009 04:47 AM Forum: Religion

Job

Posted By Mark Norby

I brought up the subject of the book/story of Job for a reason. Some believe that every story in the OT is true, and literal. The fundamentalists usually don't have a very good knowledge of the history of the individual books, their place in the timeline, reason for being incluced, etc. Therefore, Genesis is true, Noah is true, etc. It's ironic that Jews don't take these same stories literally. At least according to some speakers I have heard. Any thoughts on the subject?

February 5, 2009 05:59 AM Forum: Politics

illegal but moral

Posted By Mark Norby

Heard a discussion on the radio about a week ago. It had to do with waterboarding, and similar persuasive techniques. Waterboarding may be illegal, and the persons responsible for doing it subject to prosecution, but may be a morally correct thing to do. Consider how different things would be if, hypothetically, a few consipirators had been "co-erced" into revealing the 9-11 airplane hijackings. Would you, as a prosecutor, charge the waterboarders, knowing that thousands of lives had just been saved? Would you threaten a prisoner with transfer to a country that tortures or behead accused terrorists in order to get him to reveal important info immediately? There are a number of fuzzy minded people that think that the threat is equal to torture. Someone once remarked that what we consider torture the jihadists and Islamic terrorists consider inconveniences.

February 25, 2009 10:00 PM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

Ice found in the Arctic

Posted By Mark Norby

I heard, recently, that the ice coverage data was in error. It seems they misplaced a chunk about the size of California. That means that in 2008, the cap was larger than in 2007. Anyone hear of this?

March 9, 2009 03:49 AM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

Computer models

Posted By Mark Norby

Are the models predictors, projections, or what? Someone, I forget who, said that they were "predictions made by scientists, not scientific predictions", or to that affect. Does the IPCC even call them (the models) predictions?

March 17, 2009 03:29 AM Forum: Religion

Capital Punishment

Posted By Mark Norby

Heard a good discussion the other day, on DennisPrager. He quoted someone(Iforget who)that, when told that the death penalty does not have an affect on crime says: "Let's try an experiment. Make murder on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday a capital offense, and not on any other day of the week. Let's see when the murders are committed most." This lead Prager to another question for the anti-capital punishment folks. "If executing a rightly convicted murderer would bring the victim back to life, would you still be against capital punishment?" Hmmmm. I posted this here because of the commandment against murder. And the "eye for eye" call for punishment to fit the crime.

April 18, 2009 04:23 AM Forum: Religion

Literal or not?

Posted By Mark Norby

I was wondering how many here believe in the literal interpretation of Genesis? How about it? Was the first man on earth named "Adam?" Is the KJV the only reliable, accurate version? Why/why not?