My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mark Norby

June 17, 2009 09:30 PM Forum: Politics

Anti-Semitism

Posted By Mark Norby

It's on the rise globally. Heard on the radio today that a university study asked both Dems and Repubs how much they thought that the current economic troubles were the fault of "the Jews". As a voting segment, about 70% of voting Jews voted for Obama. About 32% of the Dems in the survey thought that they were from "a little" to "a lot" at fault for the trouble. About 15-18% of the Repubs answered that way. a 2-1 difference, and the leftist Dems call the Repubs the bigots, Nazis, fascists. Go figure.

July 11, 2009 10:45 AM Forum: SCI-FI

One Second Later

Posted By Mark Norby

I believe that's the proper title. I read the library edition, saw it for sale in B&N. A post-EMP novel, depicting life and survival after all electronic devices quit. Death due to lack of medications, starvation, cannibalization. Sobering, somewhat depressing. But well worth the time.

July 14, 2009 03:13 PM Forum: Politics

Wall on Mexican border

Posted By Mark Norby

Some swearing. For adults with a sense of humor. Enjoy!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-bJ9V7U428&feature=popular

July 17, 2009 11:33 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Globular clusters

Posted By Mark Norby

A number of yrs ago I had a listing of a large number of GCs. I have misplaced it, was wondering if anyone could help me duplicate it. I think it was from a Polish or Czech university, or perhaps national astronomical league. It had the catalog name/number, class, location, etc. Perhaps you can suggest a substitute for it? Or a link to the original?

July 24, 2009 01:08 PM Forum: Politics

Gates arrest

Posted By Mark Norby

Here's a link to the police report. Lots of other goodies there, as well. Astronomy, physics, etc. http://www.scribd.com/ You need to register to download it, but that's not a problem.

July 29, 2009 09:50 PM Forum: SCI-FI

Warehouse 13

Posted By Mark Norby

Anybody watching it besides me? I'm starting to be a fan. It's a cross between X-Files, Cop show, Indiana Jones, and Area 51. Quirky, not always serious.

July 30, 2009 02:58 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

A Bit of Humor

Posted By Mark Norby

The local grade school teacher asked her students to tell a story with a moral. Little Johnny raised his hand and told this one: "My Aunt Karen was a pilot in the military flying over Afghanistan about a year ago. Her plane was shot down, and she had to land by parachute with only a bottle of whiskey, her handgun, and her knife. She drank the whiskey as she was floating down because she didn't want to land on the glass and get cut up on it. She landed near some Taliban fighters, who tried to kill her. She killed about 10 of them with her gun, till she ran out of bullets. She killed about 5 with her knife, but it broke. She killed the 2 remaining in hand to hand combat." The teacher asked "What's the moral of this story?" He replied, "Stay away from Aunt Karen when she's been drinking."

August 3, 2009 06:14 PM Forum: SCI-FI

Defying Gravity?

Posted By Mark Norby

I watched the pilot last night. I think they're going to do a "guiding force" behind the scenes scenario. There were questions about destiny, etc. in the dialog, as well. I liked it, but don't know if I'll be a weekly viewer.

August 27, 2009 02:42 PM Forum: Politics

Hateful Republican vandals

Posted By Mark Norby

Heard on the radio, today a story from Denver. Seems the Democrat Party office, with a bunch of glass windows displaying support of ObamaCare, were broken. The Dem party spokesperson decried it as "hateful acts by consertatives/Republicans". Turns out that they were broken by an individual on the Dem party payroll, trying to smear the competition. Typical demonization.

August 31, 2009 01:08 PM Forum: Politics

Shivo and the Taliban

Posted By Mark Norby

I heard that the Shivo lady from "Code Pink", whose first name escapes me at the moment, went to the Middle East to encourage Muslim women to protest the US military presence there. (Afghanistan, I believe.) The Taliban there doesn't want little girls going to school, so to terrorize them and their parents, they have been known to thrown acid into the face of a little girl. So Ms Shivo supports the people that would throw acid into a child's face for the "crime" of going to school, and doesn't want our troops there to root out the demons that would do such a thing. Oh, it's our fault. If the Taliban were left alone to rule there, the little girl wouldn't have had the opportunity to go to school in the first place.