March 22, 2010 01:06 AM Forum: Landscape Photography

Mojave National Preserve Landscapes

Posted By Jerry Mason

We walked along a 100' section of lava flow and found hundreds of drawings

March 25, 2010 06:01 PM Forum: Guns and Hunting Optics

PLR-16

Posted By Jerry Mason

James,

Does the PLR-16 have a bolt hold open feature? And do you have any plans to add a muzzle break? Looks fun to shoot.

Jerry

April 12, 2010 12:36 AM Forum: Landscape Photography

Zion National Park, UT

Posted By Jerry Mason

This shot was taken looking south from the bridge at the junction of Hwy 9 and the "Floor of the Valley Road". I decided that it was very difficult to get a good wide angle shot of Zion during sunset and sunrise. It is such a narrow and steep canyon that whenever the peaks are nicely illuminated and rich with color the floor of the valley is hidden in shadow.

April 12, 2010 03:31 AM Forum: Landscape Photography

Bryce Canyon National Park, UT

Posted By Jerry Mason

Here's a detail shot from Bryce Point a few hours before sunset

August 3, 2010 10:39 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Minaret Moonset and Falls

Posted By Jerry Mason

Here's a shot looking up Minaret Falls. This is a beautiful and easy 1-1/2 mile hike from the park headquarters.

August 12, 2010 04:50 AM Forum: Guns and Hunting Optics

HoMeBoY NyTe-SyTeS

Posted By Jerry Mason

Okay, it took me almost a full minute to stop laughing. What a hoot!!! Of course this is a joke, right? RIGHT?!!!!

September 4, 2010 12:14 AM Forum: Camping and Outdoors

Yosemite Valley Campsite Available Aug 28-Sept 2

Posted By Jerry Mason

We returned from our trip to Yosemite late last night and I wanted to share a few photos of our astronomy friendly camp site with you telescope owning campers. I think it was the only site like it in all the valley -- everyone that walked by seemed to think that it had the best view and that we had lucked out. I definitely agree with their consensus. I feel very lucky indeed.

1. The top left image is of my daughter running to the edge of the Merced River. I shot this while sitting in front of our campfire ring.

2. The top right image is almost the same shot but after the sun had set. It's a time lapse shot so don't be concerned that folks on the other side of the river were having a bonfire.

3. The bottom left image was taken so you can see the majority of the site. It's actually larger with room behind my Tahoe for an additional large tent and to the left of the bear box was another twenty feet.

4. The center bottom shot shows people up on top of Half Dome's "diving board" and was taken through my Meade 102 APO (don't give me grief, I really like the little scope).

5. And the bottom right shot shows half dome and my Meade 102 just before the sun set.

On Monday morning, August 30th at 3:28 AM I awoke to an incredibly loud "CRACK" from the Northeast followed by what I thought was thunder. I unzipped my tent to look out but saw only stars in a moonlit sky. The rumbling continued and after about fifteen or twenty seconds it became obvious that it was not a weather event but instead a rock fall (it went on far too long for thunder). I looked back over my should to see my wife and daughter both sitting up looking at me with wide eyes. It woke us all up. The next day at about four thirty in the afternoon I was talking to another camper about the incident when the sound of rocks AGAIN filled the air but this time from the Southeast above Curry Village. Our neighbor rode over to find a ranger and after asking three of them the fourth replied rather nonchalantly "Oh yeah, happens all the time here."

Anyway, we had a great and exciting time in Yosemite Valley and can't wait to return soon. I hope the pictures help some of you that might have a trip planned.

All the best!

Jerry

September 8, 2010 05:25 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Yosemite Valley last week of August 2010

Posted By Jerry Mason

Here's a shot of Half Dome taken from our campsite in Lower Pines. We certainly got lucky and had one of the few sites with a view.

September 9, 2010 03:17 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

New Mexico panorama

Posted By Jerry Mason

Very cool John. I'm liking these wide vistas you and John Love have shared the past few days. Really fits the "Landscape" classification.

Jerry

November 29, 2010 01:39 AM Forum: Landscape Photography

Astronomy ala Arches National Park

Posted By Jerry Mason

While I was shooting Double Arch (mostly stomping my boots in the cold sand while trying to stay warm) I couldn't help but notice bright Jupiter setting to the WEST (thanks Linton). Here's another quick 30 second exposure showing it just above a small arch.

Thanks for letting me post.

Jerry