My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jerry Mason

March 14, 2011 03:35 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Yosemite (of course)

Posted By Jerry Mason

Beautiful shots Fred! We had reservations this weekend for a "heated tent" in Curry Village but at the last minute chose to stick closer to home (Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea SP and Anza Borrego SP). Your pictures make me wish I had joined you up there.

Great work!

Jerry

March 14, 2011 07:33 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Mud Volcanos - South Salton Sea, CA

Posted By Jerry Mason

We are looking forward to our first visit to Yellowstone N.P. at the end of the summer and felt this might be a good warm up trip.

March 17, 2011 04:51 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Venus rising - West Salton Sea, CA

Posted By Jerry Mason

What initially looks like rocks along the shoreline turn out to be something much more macabre. Millions of dead and rotting fish ring the ENTIRE 130 mile shoreline. The death and the droppings from the many birds which eat the fish probably are responsible for the terrible smell.

March 22, 2011 08:45 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Sequoia White Out

Posted By Jerry Mason

Before we left for home on Sunday we thought we might do some sledding but finding white out conditions and blowing snow we decided to head back to Orange County instead. An hour after we sloshed through the "Grapevine" on the 5 Fwy. the CHP closed both the North and Southbound lanes for the next 14 hours. Whew!

March 23, 2011 06:46 PM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Anza Borrego -- Heliotrope

Posted By Jerry Mason

And here's a Brown-Eyed Evening Primrose. Any other flower reports out there?

March 27, 2011 05:39 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Willets

Posted By Jerry Mason

John Agnew said:

This is part of a flock of about 3,000 Willets that I saw feeding on the shores of Florida Bay in Everglades National Park in January.
Sigma 18-135mm on a Nikon D80

Neat shot John! I like the monochromatic color scheme and order* amongst chaos you capture. A moment frozen in time (not a blurred wing to be seen).

*So how did you get them ALL to look to their left?

Jerry

April 1, 2011 04:28 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

New product announcement

Posted By Jerry Mason

Is there an option for hand warmers too or does the standard technique of sticking ones hands down his trousers result in added warmth due to the electronics upgrade? Oh, and are these available in boxers or briefs?

April 5, 2011 06:42 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

M 101

Posted By Jerry Mason

Steve Mathis said:

Here is M 101, taken with a modified Nikon D50 through an 8" f/4.9 Newt. 12 x 10min @ ISO 1600. Thanks for looking.

Steve,

Robert is right, that is a beautiful shot. Are we looking at a cropped detail or is this the full frame?

Jerry

April 13, 2011 11:59 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

TEETH!

Posted By Jerry Mason

Steve Stonehill said:

I'm not sure if these qualify as wildlife anymore! Fossil collecting is another of our hobbies and these are some of the Tertiary period teeth that we've found in NJ. They range in age from approximately 55 million to 35 million years old. The biggest tooth is just over 3".

Steve

Steve,

Beautiful collection!

How do they exhibit such unique and varying colors? I don't know much about fossils and was originally taught that over time sediments surrounding a bone would seep into it and replace the biological material thereby transforming it into stone. I would assume a bone or tooth would then take on a more monotone color scheme. Some of the teeth in your collection look to have translucent points and opaque bases of differing color. Really cool and very interesting but I've obviously missed a thing or two in my science classes. grin

Jerry

April 27, 2011 03:57 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Companion sought for Annular Eclipse

Posted By Jerry Mason

Hi Robert,

I see that you've posted this question in a few different forums so don't know if someone has brought this up already but since this is a low sky event happening close to sunset have you factored in the Sierra Nevada's to the West? Doing a quick look using Starry Night's software mid eclipse looks to be about 6:30PM PST with the sun only 17ΒΌ above the horizon.

I've headed up to Lake Tahoe a few times from Reno and the mountains seem to tower over the Western horizon but how high in degrees I don't know. Good luck with your safari! Who knows, we may cross paths up there.

Jerry