New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jerry Mason

March 21, 2010 06:05 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Mojave National Preserve Landscapes

Posted By Jerry Mason

Hi all,

We went to the Mojave National Preserve yesterday (Saturday, March 20, 2010) hoping to do some exploring by day and a little astronomy by night. Unfortunately the cloudy skies kept all the fun to the daylight hours and we packed up for home shortly after the sun went down.

The following shots are captures my wife made (you can read my explanation as to why she had the camera and I did not in the "Wildlife Photography" forum).

We started the day hunting for pictographs and petroglyphs -- both were found in abundance. Here are just a few of my favorites.

Jerry

April 11, 2010 05:35 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Zion National Park, UT

Posted By Jerry Mason

Hey all,

I read in another forum how Floyd and some had noticed a drop off of posts recently so just coming back from a week at Zion and Bryce I thought I would contribute a few images.

The first day of our trip started in Zion during a spring rain storm. It was VERY windy and the occasional cold rain shower made it hard to capture any worthwhile images. Here's the best shot I took that day huddled under a stone overhang at "Weeping Rock". Beginning the next day the weather quickly improved and allowed for better shots.

Jerry

April 11, 2010 08:29 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Bryce Canyon National Park, UT

Posted By Jerry Mason

Well, I don't want to abuse my posting privileges here on Astromart but wanted to share the beauty of Bryce Canyon too. Unlike Zion, Bryce was an easy sunrise shoot. Sunsets were just a little more challenging due to the geometry of the mountains West of the Hoodoos. I managed to take hundreds of images over the three days I was there but will not bore you with them all. It was almost impossible to take an uninteresting or poor shot at this place. Simply amazing.

Here's just part of the view taken from Bryce Point just before sunrise. I like how the cool colors augment the warm spires and Hoodoos.

Jerry

June 23, 2010 08:33 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

8" Celestron NexStar chucked off the roof in L.A.

Posted By Jerry Mason

It was our last school night of the year and we found ourselves without any homework so decided to watch some mindless television. ABC was running a new show called Downfall where they throw items off the top of a ten story building... the third, or maybe the fourth, item turned out to be an 8" Celestron NexStar. Now I'm not a cat man but that was just wrong. Had to get up and walk outside.

Jerry

August 3, 2010 03:38 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Minaret Moonset and Falls

Posted By Jerry Mason

Ever since we visited Devils Postpile last August my eleven year old daughter has been wishing for a return trip so she could fish for Rainbow and Brown trout in the rivers and lakes of the Eastern Sierra. So this last weekend we packed up the fishing poles and headed back up highway 395 for a mini vacation.

Attached is a shot taken yesterday (Monday) showing the last quarter moon about to set behind the Minarets.

August 17, 2010 08:33 AM Forum: Camping and Outdoors

Yosemite Valley Campsite Available Aug 28-Sept 2

Posted By Jerry Mason

Howdy Astromart campers.

I'm just about to cancel my extra campground reservation at Yosemite but since the valley is booked up, and campsites hard to come by, I thought somebody here might like the opportunity to take them.

This is for an RV/tent site at Yosemite Valley's Lower Pines Campground (site 36) beginning Saturday, August 28th through Thursday, September 2nd (5 nights). Because it is against the nps.gov terms of service to resell these reservations I did not place an Astromart classified -- However, if one wanted to repay me the $20 per night fee they are welcome to wander over to campsite 38 to find me.

If anyone is interested let me know in the next few days, otherwise I will cancel and give them back to the park service.

Jerry

September 8, 2010 10:24 AM Forum: Landscape Photography

Yosemite Valley last week of August 2010

Posted By Jerry Mason

Hello All,

We had a great trip to Yosemite last week and I wanted to share a couple of pictures I thought summed up our experience.

This first image was taken from a turnout on the Northside Dr. just east of Pohono Bridge. I'm pretty sure most tourist have taken this exact shot and you may have seen it many times before but I couldn't resist snapping a few pictures of my own.

Jerry

November 5, 2010 09:25 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Stork, Crane, Heron or Egret?

Posted By Jerry Mason

My wife was making coffee this AM and looked out the window to see this tall fellah catching some early morning rays. She asked me what type of bird it was and the best I could do was "I think it's a UHM-a-Storka-Crane-a-Heron-Egret thing". Can anyone come up with a better I.D. than that? We live in Coastal Southern California.

Jerry

November 28, 2010 05:38 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Astronomy ala Arches National Park

Posted By Jerry Mason

I just arrived home from a week in lovely Moab UT and wanted to share a few photos. Attached is a landscape/astrophoto of the Double Arch located in the Windows District of Arches National Park. here is a quick 30 second test exposure using the the waning gibbous moon to illuminate this beautiful geological masterpiece. Arches is truly a fascinating place!!!

Jerry

November 29, 2010 08:20 AM Forum: Landscape Photography

Arches National Park, Utah

Posted By Jerry Mason

We spent the week in Moab and had the opportunity to tour and hike Arches National Park. It was a beautiful park but our trip wasn't without a little adventure. We left Southern California planning on making a beeline to Moab UT but got snowed in and stuck on the I15/I70 junction for more than three hours in driving snow. Cars and trucks were strewn all along the roadside as the highway was covered in snow and ice. Then once we arrived in Moab we found that our hotel and the road we wanted to use to drive out to Canyon Lands on (HWY 279/Poison Spider Trail) was filled with Law Enforcement Officers looking for a fugitive.

Aside from all the trouble it was a great place to explore and share with the family. Attached is a shot of the South Window arch.

Jerry.