Posts Made By: Jerry Mason

April 18, 2011 12:34 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Laguna Beach Wildlife

Posted By Jerry Mason

Finally some beach weather here in Southern California. On Saturday my wife and I packed up our daughter and two of her friends and drove over to Laguna Beach for three hours of fun in the afternoon sun. During those few hours we saw a good deal of wildlife. Scores of brown pelican soaring in formation or dive bombing for dinner, two dolphin splashing and chasing fish between the kelp and surf line, and a sea lion or three. Add to that busy beach three wild middle schoolers with boundless energy. Lots o' fun.

May 21, 2012 10:12 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

June 6, 2012 04:53 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Venus Transit

Posted By Jerry Mason

What an awesome day!

April 6, 2004 04:26 AM Forum: Celestron

Celestron response

Posted By Jerry Mason

From January 9th to January 18, 2004 I sent Celestron 3 e-mail and 4 phone recording requests for technical help regarding my Nextstar hand controller unit.

It's now April 5, 2004 and I have yet to get a call back or e-mail response from them.

I've been thinking about purchasing a new 14" Cat later this year. I'm pretty sure, now, from whom I'll be buying it. Even tho I've routinely been disappointed with a Meade response; at least I've always gotten one.

Jerry

February 12, 2005 04:21 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Anza-Borrego Observing Report

Posted By Jerry Mason

Vincent,

Anza Borrego certainly is an excellent place to star gaze. We're headed to Blair Valley in a few weeks and I can hardly wait.

With all the rain we've been having I was wondering how the desert bloom was going. I've heard it will be early this year and have been checking the Anza Borrego web site for information but can you offer a first hand report? Did you get a chance to drive through the lower part of the park?

Jerry

July 11, 2005 04:26 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Southern Calif. Dark Sites

Posted By Jerry Mason

Hey Mike,

If you've never been there before you should visit the East Mojave National Preserve. During the day there's a great slot canyon to hike and Mitchell Caverns to visit. The sky simply gets no darker here in SoCal. You can find more info about the place at: http://www.desertusa.com/mnp/mnp_main.html

I also love Joshua Tree and Anza Borrego and visit them much more frequently (5-6 times a year). They are both closer drives to us O.C. folks but being closer they just aren't quite as dark (almost tho). Both are excellent parks and you easily get lost in all the stars.

My two cents anyway!

Clear skies,

Jerry

October 8, 2005 05:29 AM Forum: Landscape Photography

Grand Canyon In July

Posted By Jerry Mason

Hey Stephen,

Very nice shot! It reminded me of one I took only 9 months earlier -- and almost from the same spot. The major difference being the weather. We had snow!

South Rim in the morning with a Nikon D100.

Clear skies,

Jerry

October 30, 2005 11:18 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars dust storm 10/29/2005

Posted By Jerry Mason

Great image Peter!

I took one last night about 23 hours later than yours and from a few miles north of you (Orange County).

Used my vintage Meade 8" 826c Newtonian, a 5x Powermate and a ToUcam Pro with an IR filter.

My question to everybody is: Is it my imagination or has this dust storm spread out a bit? It looked like there was a thin haze on the inside boundary of Sinus Sabaeus extending almost as far south as Hellas. I thought I could see this visually with both my 8" and 16" Newts but wasn't sure.

Clear skies everyone!

Jerry

December 2, 2005 05:22 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

So I am Watching Jeapordy

Posted By Jerry Mason

Oh man I was WAY off! I thought it was "Hollywood Stars" for $400. :S

Nice Christmas lighting job Dave!

Jay

December 12, 2005 10:36 PM Forum: Celestron

Celestron Customer Support deteriorating?

Posted By Jerry Mason

Sounds like my last experience with them. Here's my post from two years ago.

https://www.astromart.com/forums/viewpost.asp?forum_post_id=163607&poll_id=&news_id=&page=2

I finally did get a call back -- but it took another six voice mail messages and three months of wait.

Jerry