My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jerry Mason

February 25, 2006 02:28 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

If M42 is green, is this with a filter?

Posted By Jerry Mason

I just drove in from Anza Borrego where I spent the night with the coyotes under a beautiful desert sky. Had M42 in my 15x70 Oberwerks, 102ED and 8" newt. It's definitely green in each view regardless of magnification for me. I don't see this in any other bright nebulosity or galaxy tho.

Jerry

April 3, 2006 05:31 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

New Dual speed Crayford focuser for Dobs/ Newts

Posted By Jerry Mason

Hi everyone,

I have the Rigel version of this focuser (with their pulse drive electric motor -- electric, not manual microfocus) and am very impressed with it. I have had my Nikon D100 screwed into an eyepiece projection adapter all hanging off in space and found that this unit has no problem focusing or holding its place. Same is true with my 20mm Nagler Type II and 2x Barlow.

I wouldn't count this big guy out. And you're right, it is big. I was amazed at how much more massive it was than my trusty old Meade research grade 2" focuser.

Jerry

May 8, 2006 05:46 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

New Camera

Posted By Jerry Mason

That is a great 1st image! grin

I agree with John B. and a little focus tweaking would be worthwhile.

Now if you're sure about the focus then you might be experiencing some vibration. Does the Pentax allow you to lock up the mirror prior to taking an exposure? Mirror slap can ruin even a perfectly focused shot.

If no Mirror lock you can try the old black card in front of the telescope trick.

Nice work!

Jerry

May 23, 2006 12:49 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

LXD-55

Posted By Jerry Mason

I've wondered the same thing and have heard conflicting reports but I suspect the azimuth stalk (the little metal post that sticks up at the North end of the hub) is shorter than the CG5/EQ5. This post is also grounded to an angled point on the LXD55/75. From what I've read it's an easy retrofit for those with simple tools.

Clear Vue Optics sells a pedestal that fits both equatorial heads and they show two options when discussing hubs. Scroll down to the bottom of this page to see them clearvueoptics.com/Mounts.htm.

Good luck!

Jerry

p.s. I'm very, very pleased with the LXD55 mount. I have one for my 8" Newt and another for my 102 ED refractor. With the legs up it is a very stable mount for my 8" but John is right about them being iffy when fully extended. I'm expecting an LXD55 to LX200 tripod adapter from Astrokits in the mail tomorrow for my refractor. It should be rock solid and stand much taller than the original tripod.

May 23, 2006 01:08 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Explora-Dome

Posted By Jerry Mason

Merlin,

I am on the pre-order list but haven't yet heard what the shipping costs would be. Was such a large item expensive to have shipped to you in Oregon?

Jerry

May 23, 2006 01:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Artificial star questions

Posted By Jerry Mason

I found that a regular sheet of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil from the kitchen wrapped around a cheep 2 "D" cell flashlight has quite a few micro pores that make great stars for collimating my refractor.

To get bigger/brighter stars I'll slightly crinkle the foil.

The flashlight works well indoors during the day and great at night.

Jerry

June 1, 2006 08:45 AM Forum: Refractors

What I'm seeing thru a 100mm ed

Posted By Jerry Mason

Itz,

I've followed your thread for the last week or so and was hoping someone here could help you but I think it's very difficult for us to understand the problem without actually seeing what you are seeing. I've made a quick sketch, as best I can at monitor resolution, and hope it may be something close to what you are experiencing.

On the left is what I might see in my 102mm ED refractor when looking at a bright star with medium to moderately high power. The diffraction rings are much smaller using low power but you can certainly still see them (Sorry, I cannot illustrate a smaller star at 72dpi).

The eyepiece view on the right is what I would expect to see if I had an internal reflection. If this is what you are seeing then I would suspect, like others here, that you have a shiny diagonal nosepiece, or something else reflective in or close to your lightpath.

It's a long shot, but is this what you are seeing? :S

Jerry

June 10, 2006 09:05 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Help with an image!

Posted By Jerry Mason

what the heck, I'll give it a shot. smile

June 18, 2006 03:14 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Narrowband high res M27

Posted By Jerry Mason

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen an image of M27 with such a 3 dimensional feel before. Phenomenal!

Jerry

June 22, 2006 09:09 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

orion customer service

Posted By Jerry Mason

Good for you Itz.

Have you had it out to star test yet? Let us all know if your mysterious halo is missing from your views now. I'm very curious.

Jerry