Posts Made By: James DellaPenna

January 10, 2007 09:09 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Re: what the hey is telescopes dot com

Posted By James DellaPenna

They appear to be a very reputable company from which I have purchased a number of items. Their free Fedex shipping is a lower tier shipping service available to any dealers using Fedex if they would simply offer it.

January 10, 2007 09:31 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Fairness in Overseas Shipping

Peter,

Sorry to hear you have had such experiences. Normally, with the exception of Canada, I have restricted myself to shipping only small items overseas via Global Priority Mail.

As for large items, most overseas buyers know shipping is expensive. I personally would not want to leave the shipping hassle up to the buyer. One important lesson I learned recently is to stay away from the convenience store type shipping outfits like "The UPS Store" who charge a very hefty commission on top of the normal shipping rates. I ran into one that actually had a sign out front that said "no sir charge on UPS shipments". I never figured out what that meant but it sure didn't mean they charge the same as UPS. The quote I got almost killed the overseas sale of a Nexstar 11. When I finally started dealing directly with UPS the buyer had no serious problem with the shipping quote.

The next time you get inquiries from overseas buyers simply ask them if they are fully aware of what it costs to ship large heavy items overseas (if that's the case). For UPS, USPS, and Fedex you can get approximate quotes at their websites.

Sometimes your best offer comes from overseas even if you advertise CONUS ONLY. It's a shame not to accept such offers. Just be up front and frank about shipping expenses. This is nothing new for the experienced buyers.

March 4, 2007 09:31 PM Forum: Celestron

JMI NGF-C or similar focuser for large cats

Jon,

I'm not personally familiar with the NGF series. I use their new 2-speed EV series on my C14 for fine focus. Very pleased with the results. I previously used a William Optics Crayford focuser but upgraded to the JMI EV model recently, including the motorized option which I find I don't use that often. I do visual only.

Jon, I visited the JMI site and realize the NGF series costs quite a bit more than the EV-1c and also requires an adapter for SCT's. The EV-1c model is specifically for cats.

Jim D.

March 21, 2007 11:39 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

dob to a cpc

Jeff,

You never said what brand of 12" Dob you have. Just curious.

Jim D.

March 25, 2007 04:53 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Dealing w/ a classical Cass's long focal length

Install an f/6.3 focal reducer.

Jim

June 28, 2007 11:42 PM Forum: Ask rating questions here

Re: NO RESPONSE deserving of ratings?

There is a very simple way to communicate to everyone in this situation. It's called editing your ad with a "SOLD" or "Pending" notice in the ad title. It requires very little effort and is ideal for sellers who are swamped with inquiries for an item already in some stage of transaction.

This type of communication problem would virtually disappear if more sellers would simply use this option.

July 21, 2007 08:26 PM Forum: Politics

New Moderator

Gary,

Regardless of my political views about the war I am a firm believer in supporting our troops when placed in harm's way. Most folks have little experience with the personal sacrifices our soilders must face every day, especially those in combat zones. It takes a special kind of person to step up to the challenge and should never be taken for granted.

Gary, best wishes and come home safe.

Jim

July 24, 2007 01:23 AM Forum: Ask rating questions here

rating after erasing transaction`

Michael,

I'm not sure but here's how to find out. Go to User Profiles, type in that person's name, and their profile page either will or will not have a message stating that you can rate that person for the pertinent transaction #.

Jim

August 15, 2007 09:21 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Eyepieces Classified page size

Anybody have a constructive response to my question?

September 20, 2007 02:22 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

PayPal question

Hans,

For high priced items a bank to bank wire transfer is less expensive.