My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: James DellaPenna

February 17, 2004 08:33 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Pentax XL's in binos?

Posted By James DellaPenna

I am not yet into binoviewing and XL's are my favorite EP's. Comments by Chris Nicholl & Doug Culbertson on another thread have me concerned, particularly regarding whether or not pairs of these will "fit my face". I guess what I am looking for is comments from other XL/bino users. How prevalent a problem is this? Are there a number of you who do not experience this problem?

I had planned to build up maybe three pairs of XL's before actually buying a Denk bino but now I am wondering if I need to find someone with binos to test this out before I start collecting any more EP's. I already have two 10.5 XL's.

February 25, 2004 01:50 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Discussion for Eurvin & James

Eurvin,

As you requested I contacted you again today through the 24.5mm SWA ad to see if you are getting my emails through the AM ad response system. Any luck?

February 26, 2004 12:47 PM Forum: Politics

I'm gone---

I've made my quick lightening strike in the Political Forum and leaving now. Y'all have a good time.

February 27, 2004 05:17 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Lens shade source?

Where would I find a standard plastic lens shade replacement for a CR150? I have scoured the home page vendor sponsors and come up empty.

March 9, 2004 02:03 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

SEDS is down!

SEDS.org suffered a "hacker" attack and the site is presently crashed and off-line.

The University of Arizona Lunar and Planetary Lab. is currently providing office and internet resources, but the server, software, and associated equipment as well as operating labor is all volunteer. The current server and software is archaic and there are plans to replace it with a more secure system. To acquire a new system there is a fundraiser on-going. If anyone can help out, the entire scientific community will benefit.

Log on to: for the complete story.

March 10, 2004 11:37 AM Forum: Celestron

Nexstar 11 Cordwrap question

My nexstar 11 Owner's Manual says "By default, the cord wrap feature is turned off when the telescope is aligned in azimuth and turned on when aligned on a wedge". I have gone to cordwrap after alignment and selected it but it never seems to be engaged. I do not use a wedge.

Does this mean the Cordwrap feature is simply not available in azimuth mode?

For those replying, please resist the temptation to steer me to a Yahoo discussion group. Thank you.

March 13, 2004 02:01 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Denkmeier 1st light.

My Denk Std arrived yesterday afternoon and it saw first light last evening on our monthly club viewing session. We had a Mag 5 sky and poor seeing conditions. In fact, the seeing conditions were some of the worse I have experienced. Everything was mushy; 120x was too much for the planets, even in a Nexstar 11.

Despite all that, as predicted, the Denkmeier blew me away with the view. I tried it first w/out accessories and then w/ the StarSweeper. The 2x was out of the question last night. All EP's were comfortable and there were no left-vs-right eye problems. I had quite a list of objects to look at and found myself spending much more time on open clusters than I normally would due to the quality of view. Some of the DSO's were easier to spot (despite bad conditions) simply because I was not holding one eye shut.

The only odd thing I noticed was a reflection of Saturn far enough away from it to look like a large galaxy! I had never experienced anything like that before but was able to make it go away by making sure my eyes were dead center in the EP's.

O.K., I'm hooked! Astronomy just got a lot more comfortable & enjoyable.

Jim D.

March 18, 2004 05:21 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Something wrong with my new binos.

Getting over and under double images!

March 18, 2004 05:22 PM Forum: Politics

March 18, 2004 05:31 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions