My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: James DellaPenna

July 2, 2006 06:37 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

USB extension

Posted By James DellaPenna

I have the Meade DSI II color camera but the USB cable is too short for practical use. Meade apparently does not provide an extension. Will a standard USB extension cable from Radio Shack or some such place be suitable?

July 16, 2006 08:40 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Nexstar/CGE tripod compatibility?

Could not find anything on this in a forum search.

I've heard that the Nexstar 11 can be mounted onto a CGE tripod.

Is this correct?
Is any special adapter required?
Can the Starizona landing pad still be utilized?

July 16, 2006 08:55 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Vixen Hal-110 vs. Al's Astro oak tripod

I am considering a future purchase of the Vixen GP-D2 mount for my refractor. Might an Al's Astro style HD oak tripod w/ leg locker (which I have) be superior or at least equal to the Vixen Hal-110 aluminum tripod?

Also, would the oak tripod be compatible with the GP-D2 mount base?

March 11, 2007 07:15 AM Forum: Reflectors

Parracor effect?

Some day I may consider purchasing a Starmaster truss Dob. What effect will a Parracor have in terms of focal length on an f/4.3 Dob?

Jim D.

May 30, 2007 01:27 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Eyepieces Classified page too large

For reasons unknown the EP Classified page is blown up and stretched out more than other pages. This has happened before on rare occasion but is in its second day. Even the header with the Yes--No question is in a different location. What's up?

August 11, 2007 12:33 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Eyepieces Classified page size

I've mentioned this before and the problem went away within a day.

Why are the EP Classified pages larger in width than the other forum pages? It's been that way for at least a week again. Just a minor inconvenience but it keeps happening with more frequent regularity.

December 2, 2007 05:40 PM Forum: Refractors

Orion 120 ED experience?

Has anyone out there used one of these yet? I used to own the Orion 100 ED and was quite pleased with the performance-vs-price point for visual use but had to part with it to finance a larger primary scope.

If I ever get another refractor I would consider the Orion f/7.5 120 ED but have my doubts it could be as nearly false color free as the Orion 100 ED, simply due to the f/ratio. I would not want to be in a position where an anti-fringing filter would be needed just because I chose a larger diameter than the f/9 100 ED. If that's the case then I would get another 100 ED.

December 18, 2007 02:00 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

New forum posts

Normally when pulling up the forums list all the new and unread posts are listed by quantity in red numerals. That way one can zero in on the new or unread posts without checking the dates in every forum. However, 50% of the time this does not happen; there are no red numerals. Is there a glitch in the program or is there something about this feature I don't understand?

January 2, 2008 04:13 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

D.B.Cooper's parachute

I just finished watching the NBC nightly report on D.B.Cooper and and I am more baffled than the FBI investigator who occasionally works the case. The report said he requested "several parachutes" plus $200,000. in cash, which he got. It also said he was apparently not familiar with parachutes because he ignored a perfectly good one for one that was "sewed shut"!

I served 4 years in the Navy, 3 of it as a crewmember on P-3 antisubmarine patrol craft. Never in my experience have I heard the terminology "sewn shut" in conjuction with a parachute. I can not imagine why a parchute would ever be described in such a manner.

Either NBC got the terminology wrong or D. B. Cooper was intentionally given some parachutes that would not open. If it was the latter, why has there been no follow-up by the news media on that startling revelation?

Anybody got a clue what's going on? Something I'm missing in the facts?

February 15, 2008 12:40 PM Forum: SCI-FI

Not So Far-Fetched Sci-Fi

In keeping with the intent of this forum I would like to start a new thread:

Of all the science fiction you have read, what themes or story lines have you discovered that seemed most likely to be realistic possibilities in the next, say, 100 years? There are some novels out there that may appear grand in nature but may not be all that far fetched in feasibility.