My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Paul Atkinson

June 6, 2003 12:43 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Blemish on paint of LX200GPS.

Posted By Paul Atkinson

I manufacture a Meade Blue touchup paint. It can be ordered at www.astroproproducts.com

Thanks,

Paul Atkinson

June 13, 2003 08:00 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Who cares?

Posted By Paul Atkinson

Jake,

It is this simple for me. If you are going to advertise something "LNIB" or "Mint" then it better be such. To me this means as near to new as possible with as little wear and tear showing. When people use those terms and charge a little more for a used item, then the buyer expects to get what he is paying for.

Paul Atkinson
AstroPro Products

June 13, 2003 10:44 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Shootout

Posted By Paul Atkinson

I've had my Tasco up to 600x but I was trying to see a good looking woman in the nearby pool. Another time I saw the Lunar Lander on the moon and tried to find the flag but at 650x my image started to degrade so I gave up. I have pointed it at the sun and managed to burn a few ants.

Darn, I knew AP was good but not that much better than a Tasco. I guess I'll have to sell my Tasco now.

Paul Atkinson
AstroPro Products

June 23, 2003 11:18 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Bino for a C8 SCT??

Posted By Paul Atkinson

John,

I use the Celestron model on my C14 and LOVE it. This is the older model made by Baader.

Paul Atkinson

June 26, 2003 07:14 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

CG-5 Mount: What can it do?

Posted By Paul Atkinson

In my opinion... nope. I had a CG5 that I modified so that it was extremely smooth and I would say that it still wasn't good enough for film or ccd other then possibly very short exposures. I did use a StellaCam EX and you could stack and combine images.

I highly recommend both the RA/Dec Motors. The extra motor only cost a few dollars more. It will be very adequate for high power viewing.

Paul Atkinson
AstroPro Products.com

June 26, 2003 07:17 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Lumicon? What's the deal?

Posted By Paul Atkinson

I emailed them days ago and NO answer per my original post. That isn't good in my book.

Paul Atkinson
AstroPro Products.com

June 26, 2003 07:29 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

What's the point?

Posted By Paul Atkinson

Debbie,

I think you are wrong regarding this. There are plenty of things you can show kids even from 3.0 skies. Many of the Messier objects are visible if you know which ones show well from light polluted skies. In addition, sometimes seeing something as "mundane" as Jupiter is all it takes to spark one childs immagination.

It is my contention that we are losing ground in getting "young" people involved in astronomy. Although, at 36, I wouldn't say that I am pushing any age barriers, I still feel it is important to show kids and never hesitate every chance I get.

Paul Atkinson
AstroPro Products

June 26, 2003 07:31 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Where are the deals?

Posted By Paul Atkinson

Rob,

I am with you. For the cost of this stuff you'd think Uncle Al and a few other would throw out a bargain now and then. I have literally owned EVERY Televue EP, a 2.5x Powermate, a 2x Big Barlow, two 2" Everbrite Diagonals, a 1.25" Everbrite Diagonal, a Televue diagonal adapter, a Televue Starbeam, two Pronto's and a TV85. I think that kind of loyalty is worth something. I am not picking on Televue either. I have also owned a Meade 8" 2080B, 10" 2120B, 10" LX200, 12" LX200, ETX90RA, and ETX90EC. What has that gotten me? Nothing. Talk about loyalty! It would be nice to see a little incentive here or there.

I have started a relatively new business called AstroPro Products. For my "regular" customers I routinely throw in one of my products as a "suprise" depending on how much and how often they buy and the customers love it. If you go back on all my AstroMart ads you will also see that I have run several buy one get one free, or buy one thing and get something else free. I also find that people come back more often because of these things. I guess since companies like Televue deal only with dealers those days with the big boys are probably gone.

Paul Atkinson
AstroProProducts.com

July 5, 2003 05:42 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Large Light Telescopes

Posted By Paul Atkinson

Honestly, I am unaware of any make of telescope 10" or bigger that is going to be under the weight you are talking about by a long shot. Heck there aren't many 6" or 8" scopes that are going be under 30lbs. If you want something in that range then you need to consider a mount upgrade well before a scope upgrade.

Paul Atkinson
AstroProProducts.com

July 6, 2003 01:12 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Where's the competition?

Posted By Paul Atkinson

Truly a paradox. We all want lower prices but at what cost? Have you ever wondered why the manufacturers like Televue, AP, Meade or Celestron don't sell direct? The reason the manufacturers don't sell direct is they don't want the overhead associated with selling the product they are making. Thus with a smaller staff they can ship the finished product in bulk to the dealers and let them handle all the "daily" activity that creates so much overhead.

It used to be nice to see a little competition. I remember when you could actually “shop” the advertisements in the magazines. Now it is the same advertisement and pricing over and over and over again just a different dealer. Who actually looks at them anymore? Other than name recognition, I don’t know why they advertise at all? Seems like a lot of money going out when everybody is basically selling the same things at the same prices. I feel sorry for guys like Herb and the rest trying to entice a buyer to their store when they know the consumer can get the same thing just about anywhere. The days of true competition are gone and it is sad in a way.

Paul Atkinson
AstroProProducts.com