Jonathan Hayton

IC 1396 / Elephant Trunk Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Paul Atkinson

August 12, 2004 01:39 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Fujinon 14x40 Techno-Stabi (image stabilized)

Posted By Paul Atkinson

Neil,

Goto the S&T website. They did a review of bino's back in 2000 on all the stabilizing bino's and the Fuji's got a horrible review. You can find it under test reports in bino section. You can even print a copy for like $2.95 onto your computer and reprint it.

It was because of this review that I bought my Canon 15x50 and LOVE THEM.

Paul Atkinson

August 12, 2004 08:07 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

New Forum...?

Posted By Paul Atkinson

I'm with you. I tire of the 4" Apo vs. the 14" SCT threads... the best planetery threads...

People could also do a search of this forum before they post as this has been discussed over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

September 3, 2004 07:04 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Insurance

Posted By Paul Atkinson

Ask your agent this. If you were given a Rolex watch as a gift from a relative would he be requiring you to produce a receipt to try and insure it? That would be ridiculous to go back to them and say, hey I need a reciept for your gift. Try and find a new insurance company. As an agent in Florida (I own an insurance agency) I know that not all companies require a reciept, but as someone mentioned, each state is different so what might be the case in one state might not in another. That has more to do with state laws than the insurance company itself.

I am with Hanover Insurance here in Florida (who I also represent). They are out of Mass. so you should be able to find them up in your neck of the woods. I did not have to have reciepts for anything. If there was a question, I used the following methods to help verify the value. If you can show them the value, i.e., magazine advertisements that show the price of your item, or websites that show price, many will accept this as an alternative. Lastly, if you have serial number that is a big help as well when possible.

Paul Atkinson

September 8, 2004 12:38 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Genesis!

Posted By Paul Atkinson

Bummer? What's a bummer? Other than the Mar's Rover's, NASA has managed to crash just about everything the last few years... Two Mars probes, Discovery... Don't count Cassini as a success as it was launched almost 8 years ago. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. A parachute and mid-air catch for a $260 million space probe? Come on! I mean maybe on the next return mission they can send it with ballons and a clown that can fill them with helium right before landing. I know, I know... space travel is difficult. But if this is the best they can come up with as a means of safe return on a such an important scientific mission... well you can kiss Hubble's sweet a** good-bye!

Paul Atkinson

September 18, 2004 04:52 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

September 18, 2004 04:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Cleaning Products for EP

Posted By Paul Atkinson

Jeff,

Try the Zeiss pre-moistened cleaning cloths or the Zeiss cleaning fluid. You can't go wrong. I wrote a little ditty on the cleaning cloths in the articles section if you care to read it.

Paul Atkinson

September 22, 2004 01:46 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Beating the same dead horse over and over and over

Posted By Paul Atkinson

I can assure everyone that absolutely no horses were hurt in the writing of my diatribe. wink

Paul

September 24, 2004 04:12 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Wheely Bars

Posted By Paul Atkinson

Dick,

Be sure to check out the articles section here on Astromart. I wrote a little piece on modifying the JMI wheely bars to make them ultra stable.

I honestly don't think they are over priced as others have stated. They are worth the money, well made, and can carry a huge load. I'd rather put my 20k setup on something tried, tested, and designed specifically for the job vs. a homemade job. That is just my opinion.

Paul Atkinson

P.S. - I have no affiliation, nor do I sell JMI products of any kind. I just think they are a great product.

September 24, 2004 04:14 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

This hobby advances at a snails pace.

Posted By Paul Atkinson

Well, a snail still advances faster than a dead horse. 8)

I just couldn't resist.

September 28, 2004 08:39 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Is this advisable?

Posted By Paul Atkinson

Don't know for sure, but if the paper gets too wet you might risk ink from the paper getting on your corrector and then you would have to clean it. Worse, if it comes loose it might flop against the corrector. On top of that, in really moist conditions the paper isn't going to hold up long. You'd be better to save your money and wait until you could at least afford one of the plastic models offered by numerous vendors the will attach properly.