My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Paul Atkinson

June 13, 2003 03:03 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

IC 1296 in Lyra

Posted By Paul Atkinson

Many people do not know that IC1296 is a 14.8 mag Barred Spiral only 4'to the NW of M57. It shows in many photos. For those that have seen it visually, what is the smallest scope that anyone has spied this elusive galaxy through?

Paul Atkinson
AstroPro Products

June 24, 2003 02:14 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Looking for LARGE finderscope. Recommendations?

Posted By Paul Atkinson

I am looking for a large finder scope. I know there is the Lumicon 80mm out there. There is also the Tak 11x70 model. Does anyone have any experience with the two above or any other recommendations. I am looking for something bigger than the standard 50mm garden variety.

Paul Atkinson
AstroPro Products

June 24, 2003 08:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Lumicon? What's the deal?

Posted By Paul Atkinson

I emailed the "new" Lumicon two days ago about a product. To date I have not gotten a response. Has anyone else used their email? Of course I could pick up the phone but that sort of defeats the purpose of them having email technical support doesn't it?

Paul Atkinson
AstroPro Products

June 30, 2003 12:39 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Funny Telescope Comparisons

Posted By Paul Atkinson

I love the forums and come here all the time. However, sometimes I can't help but chuckle. This post is not intended as a flame to any of the previous posts but sometimes I have to wonder what the point of some of the comparisons are?

You see somebody write about a 4" refractor this vs. a 8" Dob that and everybody gets all bent out of shape defending "their" scope or "their" opinion. Comparing a 4" refractor and a 8" Dob is like comparing night and day, or a 8" SCT with a 16" RC, or Mt. Palomar with the Keck. All are so different that I can't see how you can objectively do an accurate comparison. In fact, if looked at objectively, sometimes the comparison shouldn't even be made at all. Different designs parameters, cost, aperture, and a million other factors are involved. Then you have to take into account that different seeing conditions will effect the performance based on each scopes unique characteristics. One scope preforming well on one night might not do the same on another night. I think everyone gets the point.

Of course, this is a forum for equipment talk and far be it from me to suggest that people stop the comparisons. In fact, everyone needs to smile now and then. However, people should govern their passions with a little bit of reality.

Paul Atkinson
AstroProProducts

July 1, 2003 02:03 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Need Bino Review of the AP/Baader Model

Posted By Paul Atkinson

Anyone know where I can get a review of this model binoviewer?

Paul Atkinson

July 3, 2003 12:59 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Speaking of Mars..... Uhhhh Ohhhh!

Posted By Paul Atkinson

I just read a report where legendary planet observer Dr. Donald Parker has confirmed what appears to be the start of, at a minimum a large dust cloud, or worse a dust storm on Mars. I truly hope that is doesn't turn into a storm.

Paul Atkinson
AstroPro Products

July 3, 2003 01:02 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Mars Dust Storm... Uh Ohhhhh.....

Posted By Paul Atkinson

I just read a article where Dr. Donald Parker is reporting that he has spotted a dust cloud forming on Mars. Further, he states that it has grown a little, while another prominent observer thinks that a global storm may actually form by September. I hope that this does not turn into a full blown global dust storm or I think I will cry.

Paul Atkinson
AstroProProducts.com

July 6, 2003 12:15 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

TV Everbrite vs. AP Maxbright? Which is better?

Posted By Paul Atkinson

Looking to solicit peoples opinions on these two great diagonals. If you think one is better than the other which one is it, and why do you feel that way? Also, have you used both or are you just basing your view on your experience with either one?

Paul Atkinson
AstroProProducts.com

July 7, 2003 12:55 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Retail Price? They must be joking...

Posted By Paul Atkinson

There was a thread a few back about competition, or lack of it, among dealers on equipment pricing. Of course this is because the manufacturers are dictating prices to the dealers like Anacortes who have no control. What I find the most comical is when you see the supposed manufacturers retail price listed next to the actual price. For example, on the net the other day one of the sites I was looking for a very popular EP said, “Retail $395” in small print. Then next to it said “ Price $295” in big print. What a joke. I guess that is to make us think we are getting a DEAL. I’d rather not see that at all.

Paul Atkinson
AstroProProducts.com

July 10, 2003 12:17 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Can anyone identify this part?

Posted By Paul Atkinson

Can anyone tell me what this is, who makes it, and what it is for?

Picture Below.

Thanks,

Paul Atkinson