My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Robert Watters

April 4, 2002 11:28 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Ikeya Zhang

Posted By Robert Watters

Here is my shot of Ikeya Zhang. 20 minutes with a ST80 and Fugi NPH400 film.

Clear skies, Robert.

April 5, 2002 03:50 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

ED-2 Eyepieces

Posted By Robert Watters

Anyone have any comments on the new Orion ED-2 eyepieces? They sound like they are almost identical to the Lanthanum series. 20mm eye relief, 55 degree AFOV throughout the whole set. They are supposed to have 1 or 2 elements of ED glass in them. I got the 3.7mm on order but they are not expected until early May.

Clear skies, Robert.

April 6, 2002 11:33 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Secondary Spiders

Posted By Robert Watters

I have a dob mounted newtonian that I've been working on. I've replaced the primary with one I bought from Mark Harry and that made a huge difference. The scope is/was a Celestron Star Hopper and has a single (1/4" thick) secondary stalk. I am wondering if I would benefit from changing that to either a regular spider support or a one of the hybrid curved supports? Does the really thick support degrade the image more so than normal ones?

I also plan on flocking the tube and getting a higher quality secondary so any suggestions for a source are welcome as well.

Clear skies, Robert.

May 7, 2002 10:29 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Ruffled Dove

Posted By Robert Watters

Well this probably doesn't qualify as "Birding Optics" but it works for me. 80mm F11 Celestron refractor. This is prime focus with Fuji NPH400 film.

Robert.

May 7, 2002 10:43 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Ikeya Zhang

Posted By Robert Watters

Here is another shot of Ikeya Zhang as of 5/3/02. The tail is much dimmer and thinner than my other pics that were taken a month or so ago.

30 minutes thru a ST80 F5 refractor on Fuji NPH400 film. It was guided on a nearby star rather than the comet itself, thus there is slight elongation in the same axis as the tail which makes it harder to detect.

Robert.

May 9, 2002 04:29 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Finch

Posted By Robert Watters

This is commonly called a Purple Finch around here but I have seen them refered to a House Finch here in this Forum. I really need to get a good mid west bird book, any suggestions?

Anyway, prime focus with a 80mm F11 Celestron refractor and Fuji NPH400 film (image has been cropped).

Robert.

May 24, 2002 12:39 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

NA Nebula

Posted By Robert Watters

Here is a shot of the North American Nebula (NGC7000) and the Pelican Nebula (IC5070) that I was able to get back on 5/3.

Fuji NPH400, 2 shots approx. 30 minuntes each, stacked. Levels and Curves applied in Photoshop (may have over done it!) and shot thru a Celestron ST80-F5 refractor riding piggyback on a C8.

Let me know if I over did it on the processing.

Robert.

June 4, 2002 02:07 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

N.A. Rework

Posted By Robert Watters

From the advice I recieved from my first post of this photo I decided to rework it. (Thanks Daniel!) I started with the original raw 2 shot stack and applied Sean Walker's vignetting removal technique (9/01 S&T), then reset the black point and played around with the curves and levels in Photoshop. The results seem to be much better but I would like to hear everyones opinions.

You can see the original posted under "NA Nebula" on 5/23.

Thanks for looking, Robert.

June 18, 2002 03:41 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Epic ED-2 Eyepieces???

Posted By Robert Watters

They done it again. This is the second delay on the delivery of the Orion Epic ED-2 series eypieces. Original delivery date was back in May, then it got pushed back to 6/17. Now I just got notice it will be 7/10. :-(

Anyone heard anything thru the grapevine as to why all the delays?

Robert.

July 16, 2002 01:33 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

M16 Medium field

Posted By Robert Watters

With all these nice widefield shots everyone is posting I thought I would post a shot of M16 that I would consider a medium field shot. It's not the close-up that you typically see in the magazines.

1x 45min + 1 x 30min with a TV85 & field flattner @ F7. Fuji NPH-400. Mild curves and levels applied in PS.

Comments welcome, Robert W.