My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Sean Cunneen

December 13, 2007 05:12 PM Forum: Eyepieces

19mm Pan vs 18mm Radian

Posted By Sean Cunneen

Great! Thanks for everyone's input, I appreciate it!
Sean

December 17, 2007 08:11 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Focuser hole in aluminum tube - How?

Posted By Sean Cunneen

I agree with the previous posters, you have the right equipment for the job already, you have to go very slow with the drill speed and use very light pressure. Avoid the temptation to rotate the bit around and lube the blade with 3-in-1 oil or mineral oil. The slow and light pressure is the key, patience, Grasshopper!

November 4, 2008 01:57 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of a fast fo

Posted By Sean Cunneen

As the owner of an 8"f/8 Eq Newt, I can state with much certainty that finding objects is much easier in a fast scope. Once I've found something, my scope is wonderful, but my scope pointed straight up with the mount working against me and my neck hurting from contorting to get my eye to the finderscope, forget it! That is why my next scope is a 12" f/6 dob (under construction)! The benefits come with planets, It would take a very expensive refractor to equal my views, and I get to use my 12mm where as the other guys are stabbing themselves with their 3 or 4mm eyepieces. Oh yes, Collimation is a breeze as well.
Sean

February 5, 2009 05:49 PM Forum: Eyepieces

12mm to 9mm to 7mm ?

Posted By Sean Cunneen

If you don't use it, or you use it only as a step, then yes, I agree, sell it, I hate having eyepieces that I spent a lot of money on that I don't spend serious time with!

April 3, 2009 07:33 AM Forum: Reflectors

Re: New low cost Pryex substitute

Posted By Sean Cunneen

The worst part is, at the end of an observing session, all the ugly stars start to look prettier and prettier, soon, you'll look at ANYTHING that crosses your path. You wake up the next morning and in your Go-to controller is some elliptical galaxy when you coulda sworn last night it was a barred spiral! Not to mention having to pee every 15 minutes. I'll stick to pyrex, thank you. I'd hate to get an OUI (Observing under the influence).

June 3, 2009 01:55 PM Forum: Eyepieces

"Expensive" EPs worth it?

Posted By Sean Cunneen

Don't assume that because an eyepiece is expensive, that it will be your cup of tea. There is nothing wrong with working your way up the ladder. Read reviews. Among the expensive eyepieces, there are focal lengths in Naglers and Panoptics that I would argue are better than others. My first expensive eyepiece was a 22Pan which I still have. I read about eyepieces for months before I decided on it. My next one was a 12T4, again, after a ton of reading. My line up is now a 35Pan(ok) 22Pan(great) 12t4(Great) 6 and 5mm Radians(okay). The Radians are proof that you can spend too much on an eyepiece for it's performance. I have been through maybe 60 different eyepieces(thanks Herb!) and the ones I have now are very good, but I see the Radians going away soon to be replaced by a Pentax XO($300) OR 6,5,4, Orthos($50ea). In my experience, I don't care what an eyepiece costs so long as the experience is worth it. I no longer have a 16t5 or 16t2, 9t1 or 9t6, TMB planetaries, star-splitters, other orthos, TV plossls and some more all for one reason or another, mostly comfort. For your scope I would advise you to look into the 17mm-12mm range, you'll get the most use there, DSO-ville. Good Luck!