My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Thomas V Davis

December 16, 2004 01:03 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

M78 LRGB with part of Barnard's Loop

Posted By Thomas V Davis

Well, here is my latest. I took it the other night during the meteor shower. In fact, a very bright meteor went right through my CCD field during one of the green frame acquisitions, thus messing up the green balance (and giving some nasty internal reflections). I cleaned it up the best I could. I'm going to get some more data when the sky clears.

The reddish area in the lower left is part of Barnard's Loop. I'll add some Ha data later to make this more apparent.

AP 155 EDF f/7
.67x reducer
ST-10XME LRGB 60:30:30:30 min

Thanks,

Tom Davis
Inkom, ID

December 19, 2004 05:00 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

M78 through rose colored glasses

Posted By Thomas V Davis

Here is my M78 image with some Ha data added. It really shows that local portion of Barnard's Loop well. There certainly was some challenge in processing the fainter portions of the nebulae without burning out the bright centers.

Thanks for looking,

Tom Davis
Inkom, ID

February 2, 2005 06:02 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Another M42 ...

Posted By Thomas V Davis

Hi Everyone,

Well, the clouds finally left (after a solid month) so I though I'd image a little. I did this M42 tonight while I was waiting for astronomical twilight and for another target to come up. I did only 10 second frames unguided just to see what I could get out of such a brief image. Here's the specs:

AP 155 EDF f/7
AP .67x reducer
ST-10XME (HaR)RGB (3,3):3:3:3 min (very short!!!)
AP 1200GTO unguided

I was just playing around but it looks recognizable.

Hope your skies are clear,

Tom Davis
Inkom, ID

February 3, 2005 05:14 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Here's a real obscure one - LBN999

Posted By Thomas V Davis

Hi Everyone,

Here is my latest image. It is a real obscure one called LBN 999. It doesn't seem to be imaged much. I can't find any other image of it on the Web. It is on the border of Monoceros and Orion. It is extremely faint – so much so that the LUM (which in this case is Ha data) was 8.75 hours just to get any reasonable data!! I took the RGB data in Bin2 mode so it’s a little noisy. I definitely need to get a lot more RGB data to overcome the noise.

AP155EDF f/7
.67x reducer
ST-10XME HaRGB 525:21:21:21 min.

The clouds are back so no imaging tonight. Hope your skies are clear.

Tom Davis
Inkom, ID

February 5, 2005 03:45 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Data added to LBN 999

Posted By Thomas V Davis

Hi Everyone,

First let me thank you for kind comments regarding my recent image posted as LBN999. I have obtained more RGB data and reprocessed the image. My total image time is now 12.25 hours!!! Here's the breakdown:

(HaR)RGB (525,60):50:50:50 minutes. The RGB data was binned x 2.

The color is brighter and the color noise better suppressed. I think I maxed out the imaging time. What I need now is that BRC-300 for larger aperture!!!

Cheers,

Tom Davis
Inkom, ID

February 9, 2005 05:16 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M81-82 region

Posted By Thomas V Davis

Hello Everyone,

Here is the latest: M81-82 region.

Image specs:

AP 155 EDF f/7
.67x Reducer
ST-10XME (L,Ha)RGB (60,60):21:21:21 min.
RGB binned x 2

Thanks for looking,

Tom Davis
Inkom, ID

February 12, 2005 09:47 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M101 region

Posted By Thomas V Davis

Hello Everyone,

I see from the recent flurry of posts that we've all been busy! Tyler (in Utah) and I have been experiencing persistent cloud cover, but this past week gave us two unexpected treats: a new moon and clear skies!!

Here's my addition to all the wonderful images from you guys. This is the M101 region. The smaller galaxy in the lower right is NGC 5474.

Here are the specs:

AP 155 EDF f/7
AP .67x reducer
ST-10XME (HaL)RGB (75:65):40:40:40 min
RGB binned x 2

As always comments or suggestions for improvement are always welcome.

Hoping your skies are clear,

Tom Davis
Inkom, ID

February 14, 2005 12:36 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Back to the more obscure: Sh2-280

Posted By Thomas V Davis

Hi Everyone,

Here's the other object I have been working on. It is a less well known emission nebula in Monoceros: Sh2-280. It is in the general area of the more famous Rosette Nebula. I didn't quite get Sh2-280 centered on the chip, but when I shot the Ha portion all I could see was the brighter central portion of the nebula -- that portion I centered. When I began processing out came the dimmer portions, off center of course! Oh well. Interestingly the nebula didn't even register on my 300sec binned x 2 RGB frames until I processed them!!

Specs:
AP 155 EDF f/7
AP .67x reducer
ST-10XME (HaR)RGB (105,35):40:40:40 min
RGB binned x 2

I don't know why but I'm drawn to the less well known objects. Let me know what you think.....

Tom Davis
Inkom, ID

February 18, 2005 03:48 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

First Ha Solar Image

Posted By Thomas V Davis

Hi Everyone,

I've been spending most of my time at the Deep Sky CCD Forum since that is what I generally image. However I tried imaging the Sun yesterday. It's a different ballgame for sure!

Specs:

WO Megrez 80 triplet APO
Coronado SM60
Canon D10; Eyepiece projection 14mm Radian

It's not the best Ha image I've seen but it's a start. I'll keep practicing.

Tom Davis
Inkom, ID

February 21, 2005 10:00 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Another try at imaging the Sun

Posted By Thomas V Davis

Hello Everyone,

I attempted another image of the Sun today. I took this in between clouds. I tried locking the mirror up and other small tricks to see if they would help any.

Specs:
Megrez 80 triplet APO
Coronado SM60
Canon 10D

Suggestions for improvement appreciated,

Tom Davis
Inkom, ID