New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: George Saar

October 14, 2004 11:38 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Re: A review of the semi-apo prototype?

Posted By George Saar

LIke the Reviewer wrote:
He discarded the finder and ep's and even Complained about the backlash of the cheap focuser. Seems like he got himself a $555 dollar ed doublet and marginal OTA for that price. Just my opinion.

George, NY

February 18, 2005 12:35 AM Forum: Reflectors

Upgrade for LXD-75N6 by Meade?

Posted By George Saar

Just received my LXD-75 with 6" newtonian short tube included. Does anyone know if an upgrade secondary system can be purchased by a third party manufacturer to reduce the obstruction size in this scope? Tried calling a few companies listed in S&T and none could help with my search.
Next I'll look for an improved fine focuser for this little Newt. Hope someone can help with these questions.
Now I just have to assemble this thing and try to get it to work. wink

Clear skies.

George
NY

February 8, 2008 09:08 PM Forum: Refractors

TV Genesis SDF - What is an APO ?

Posted By George Saar

Recently I was very fortunate to be offered a very fine condition "complete setup" TV Genesis SDF with Everbrite Diagonal and excellent TV finder - with Gibralter and Skytour included. I've been reading as much on The TV Petzval design history as I can find, and it is always rated as an APO. :S
I realize that 15 years after this model appeared other more exotic glass became available and reinvented what was considered a true APO as of today's standards. I've used it with my Nagler 7mm, TMB 4mm and various ep's with my TV 2x barlow and when I looked at the moon there was no color. Ditto on Sirius on that particular night. I read that this fine scope can handle over 60x per inch and deliver sharp contrasty viewing. Then I read that the NP101 is "color free". 8O
If mine is an APO and the TV101 is an apo and now the NP101 is also an APO, what is the difference and how much better can these fine scopes get before they reach "trans-warp" :-) speed on the viewing scale.
....Can someone explain to me how these can all be APOs and yet the "new" ones are considered better and they are also APOs?
(In any case, I love viewing with this scope). smile

March 4, 2008 06:14 PM Forum: Meteorites & Meteors

How Can I be sure it's a chunk of Meteorite?

Posted By George Saar

Just started reading about these "pieces of Mars, etc" and how would I know if what I'm sold is authentic?
I'll be attending NEAF in April and usually someone is selling hunks of Meteors and I've never bought any as I wouldn't know if it's "real" or not. What would you recommend to read on the subject....for a newbie like me?
I've been looking over the samples shown by some of the collectors in this forum and have seen some pieces, at trade shows, which looked like them. I don't know of any meteor collector group, on Long Island to refer to. Much appreciated. wink

George

May 22, 2008 03:54 PM Forum: Pet Pics

Me and my Greys - Great companions

Posted By George Saar

Here are my 3 Greyhounds all dressed up for an Autumn's walk last October. The leaves just fell and there was a nip in the air.
If you can't see the 2 girls it's because they are wearing camoflage coats. wink
We rescued all three of these ex racing greys over the last few years. Wonderful pets.

July 31, 2010 02:40 AM Forum: Refractors

Explore Scientific AR152 Achro - Wow

Posted By George Saar

Finally had a chance to give my tenderly Used AR152 it's "first Light" under clear skies over Long Island and the views are exceptional.
I'm using my 30mm TMB Paragon and TV 22 Panoptic scanning Ursa Major and pinpoint stars abound even looking NW toward NYC.
I'm hoping to get a glimpse of some galaxies with averted vision....hoping for the best. I tried it out with my AT 2" dielectric diagonal which
complements those fine ep's well. I screwed on a VR-1 Minus Violet Filter waiting for Jupiter to "come up" in the East later tonight.
So far using the VR-1 does reduce the violet on bright stars like it should and the pinpoints are fine with it. Almost time for Jupiter to
show it's face. Out I go again. I'll try my TMB/Burgess 8mm and 7mm Nagler and see if it holds up with the higher power.
Get one of these AR152's,,,,Can't beat it for the price with all of the accessories AND a great handle to carry it with. This is a Keeper.

Clear skies,

George S

October 6, 2004 05:36 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Latest news on binoviewer??

Posted By George Saar

Received mine yesterday (Tuesday). My 20mm eps arrived. 12mm on backorder.
Tried the binoviewer on my 102mm
Burgess.
worked fine without the 2"90 diagonal in place. Called Bill and he said a 45 diagonal should be used and not a 90 as they are currently configured. He should have an adapter for use for prime focus soon. Will try them out on my Celestron C8 tonight. They should work fine on that scope I was told. Clear skies.
George, NY

January 9, 2005 04:52 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Barlow and other EP recommendations?

Posted By George Saar

Kirk:
the University Optics' Klee 2.8x is a great barlow. One of the best ever made. smile You'll use it a lifetime.
Try looking into the U.O. website or in past issues of S&T for eps and the Klee(Dec.2004, page 126 for example).
Best of luck.

George S.

February 12, 2005 10:26 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Binoviewer Won't Reach Focus

Posted By George Saar

Dennis:
When I spoke to Bill Burgess, the other week, about a similar issue, he suggested using a 1.25" 45 degree mirror diagonal or 1.25" 90 degree mirror diagonal. He said the 2" diagonal added too much length to the refractor / the R&P focuser would not rack in enough with the 2" diagonal in place. I was/am having trouble with the Burgess 102 refractor with the Burgess binoviewer. Straight through, no problem, of course. I tried a Celestron Shorty barlow with my Lumicon 1.25" 90 diagonal and it focuses and the 20mm WA's work fine with that 4x power boost -with lunar observing. I'm waiting for Bill's adapter lens which should be about 1.2x mag, or so and not be as much a problem to use with my short tube refractor. I believe the Williams Crayford forcuser has a longer focus length and should work (rack in) enough when using the Burgess binoviewer.
Hope this helps somewhat. :S Clear skies.

Geo. S.

February 14, 2005 12:15 AM Forum: Reflectors

Is there really any difference?

Posted By George Saar

Clarke:
I enjoyed using a Hardin 10 inch for about 8 months or so. Winter through summer. and found the optics very good. Very nice planetary and deep sky views in all kinds of temperatures. Never had to colimate it once. (It even arrived well colimated). The particle board base was "okay" and the rack and pinion 2" focuser
worked well. Over the past year Hardin upgraded their 10 and 12" dobs with a better designed (particle board still) base and a good crayford focuser - and 2" ep along with a couple of 1.25" eps. A great deal for someone who is getting started with a Dob. I wish I didn't sell mine as I would have upgraded the focuser to the Crayford and kept it for years to come. I may look for one on Astromart in a few weeks. I miss the darn thing.
Best of luck with your dob purchase. grin

Cheers,
George S.
NY