Posts Made By: Christine Canelos Welsh

November 1, 2005 11:04 PM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Peony

Posted By Christine Canelos Welsh

I'm finally getting to my backlog of photos. Here's one from June. The peonies were wonderful this year.

ccw

November 1, 2005 11:09 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

November 1, 2005 11:12 PM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Itty Bitty Bee

.....and a nice sunflower too!

ccw

November 3, 2005 04:58 PM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Stealth Moth

I've never seen one like this before - can anyone ID it for me?
ccw

I should add that it was about an inch long.

November 3, 2005 05:08 PM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Hawk Moth?

I'm not sure what this is either.
But it sure was cool!

November 4, 2005 07:38 PM Forum: Pet Pics

Let me off my leash.....Please?

Could you say no to a face like this?
wink

November 7, 2005 03:33 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Re: Digital Photography Advice

I'm currently using the 4 mega-pixel Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10 which has proven to be an excellent all-around camera for nature and other terrestrial photography. Its limit of an 8-second exposure maximum however, makes it a poor choice for astrophotography, if that's your eventual aim, though I have gotten some pretty good lunar photos with it. Panasonic recently released the 8 mega-pixel FZ30. If you are also delving into the birding and wildlife forums you will see some remarkable work by Kurt Horsley using the Lumix line.

While I would have loved to have immediately made the jump to digital into the Canon EOS line, the selection of the Lumix was, for me, a more limiting matter of getting the most bang for the buck. It has a lot of nice automatic (what my old photography teacher called PHD – Push Here Dummy) features, but you can also shoot in manual modes if your background is, like mine, rooted in a manual SLR. Plus, the 12x optical zoom, fairly versatile dynamic range and image stabilization also makes it very practical for general use. I have learned in photography, as in astronomy, that glass is everything. The Leica lens in the Lumix line is outstanding.

Here are a few sites recommended to me by other members that you might also find helpful.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/
http://www.danheller.com/tech-digital
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

The photos you posted show a nice sense of composition. I’m sure our members here could provide some good links to Photoshop tutorials that are out there for fixing the pesky little details you didn’t intend to capture and enhancing the ones you want to keep. Although, the ability to re-shoot to your heart’s content, limited only by the size of your memory card, is for me the most appealing thing about digital. My step-daughter is fond of saying “Fix it in Photoshop”. I am equally fond of replying “Get it right in the first place.”

Good luck, and welcome to the more constructive side of A-Mart.

November 7, 2005 06:30 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

From Warren Dunes

From Warren Dunes State Park on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan. We had gone there to watch the sunset but were largely fogged out. Still, it lent an air of mystery and an ethereal quality to the scenery. Plus we had the place to ourselves. smile

I don't remember ever seeing the lake this quiet.
ccw

November 9, 2005 07:00 PM Forum: DVDs and Music and Books That You Recommend

Liz Carroll/John Doyle

Recently picked up the new release by one of the best fiddle players in contemporary Irish music, Liz Carroll, in collaboration with John Doyle on guitar. In a word, superb.

As usual, Liz Carroll’s compositions, ranging from energetic reels and jigs to graceful waltzes and airs, are masterful and her performance is eloquent and sublime. John Doyle’s interesting chordal voicings and rhythms are both dynamic and diverse. I haven’t heard such a full range of sound coming from one single acoustic guitar since the late Michael Hedges, if you’re familiar.

Saw them live last week – it was so much fun, I could hardly contain myself in my seat!

CF – I don’t know how far Brattleboro (great name!) is from you, but Carroll & Doyle are playing there on Nov. 18 if you are interested.

http://www.lizcarroll.com/

Any other fans of Irish music out there?
ccw

November 10, 2005 09:07 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Wyalusing S.P.

The confluence of the Mississippi and Wisconsin Rivers. Taken back in June, looking north from the western overlook at Wyalusing State Park, near Prairie Du Chien, WI. Beautiful area.
ccw