My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Christine Canelos Welsh

April 2, 2004 09:18 AM Forum: After Dark

Father Sky - Part 1

Posted By Christine Canelos Welsh

While sorting through my box of astronomy files recently, I came across notes and journals from some of my earliest ventures into observing the night sky. Over the years there have been many enjoyable excursions into the dark, but for a city dweller like me, opportunities to get under a truly dark sky are few. Seldom are the conflicts between home, family, and calendar resolved into a relatively clear, dark night under the stars. Fewer still are the occasions when the clarity of the sky is so stunning that one experiences an internal clarity, a moment when the universe suddenly just seems to make sense. I suspect that many amateur astronomers could speak of having these epiphanic moments. Mine occurred in March of 1995.

I had been interested in astronomy for years, but at the time, my only access to the sky was a small observatory at our local community college, located smack in the middle of light-polluted greater Chicagoland. I did not own a telescope then, but rarely did I have a chance to get even a few miles outside the glow anyway. But I did have a pair of 10x50 binoculars and had embarked on the Astronomical League’s Binocular Messier List, struggling in the light fogged skies to find even those that were listed as “easy”. With the prospect of a long new moon weekend, I had traveled from my home in northern Illinois to my parents’ home in central Missouri where I could see the stars as I remembered them from my childhood. As I packed my car for the trip, I made certain to bring the binoculars, along with my charts, logbook and my hopes for clear weather.

The first two nights were disappointing. Pouring rain, and more predicted. I gave up hope and began to plan for the next new moon weekend that I might be able to get away. But later that Saturday, patches of clear sky began to break through. By that evening, a high pressure system swung unexpectedly out of the northwest, bringing colder temperatures and sweeping the last of the clouds away. I stepped outside and what I saw took my breath away.

April 8, 2004 06:28 AM Forum: Religion

Reminded me of this Forum

"In the province of the mind, what one believes to be true either is true or becomes true."
--John Lilly

April 16, 2004 06:21 AM Forum: Religion

TFTD - 04.16.04

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth. -Albert Einstein

(Hah - beat Mike to it today!)

April 17, 2004 06:39 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Morning meditation

Ever since I first saw a film about the sun daggers of the Anasazi, I have wanted to create a solstice or equinox marker. Then this spring equinox I discovered I had done so, completely by accident. For a day or two around the equinox, the sun rises exactly through a narrow gap between my neighbors houses and trees, shines between the slats in my deck and lights up the Buddha. At no other time is his face fully lit at dawn - there is always a shadow across it from the deck rails or trees.

April 18, 2004 07:21 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

My Big Brother

My neice and I were going through old photos and I thought you guys might appreciate these two photos of my late brother James Canelos. Jim was a photography buff, having learned the craft as an U.S. Army photographer. He was really into self portraits, not out of vanity, but because he knew *exactly* how he wanted the picture to look. These are two of his self portraits, the first in the early 60's at about age 21.

April 25, 2004 11:28 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Ground cover tulips

At least that's what I'm told these are. They are about 6" tall and the bloom is about 1" across.

April 25, 2004 11:30 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Bleeding hearts

These are my favorite spring flower. Had just enough light to catch them.

April 25, 2004 11:32 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Gardening made easy

"Is this where you wanted to plant those flowers, Mom?"

April 26, 2004 02:15 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Speaking of astro-cycling......

.....The Interplanetary Bicycle Ride in Peoria, Illinois has been set for Saturday/Sunday, August 14 & 15, 2004.

Check it out here:

http://www.lakeview-museum.org/iplanet/iplanet.html

April 30, 2004 06:54 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Re: Hungry Tree

"Mother Nature is relentless."
--Gus Canelos

clc