My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Christine Canelos Welsh

July 30, 2004 09:12 AM Forum: Religion

Disenfranchised

Posted By Christine Canelos Welsh

One of my least favorite buzz words of the new millennium.

Two weeks ago I was called to jury duty. (For my fellows in the Chicago area – I live in Palatine and could they send me to Rolling Meadows, or at least Skokie? Nooooooo – I had to go to 26th & Cal.)

I was assigned a panel number and sent to the jury room to wait. They called my panel of approximately 80 people and we were led into a courtroom to be interviewed by a judge, prosecutors and defenders for possible selection for a case. The court clerk directed us to rise and raise our right hands. We are not even close to the point of being selected as jurors, yet we are all asked to “Swear to Almighty God that you will follow and uphold the law as directed by the Courts”. Her voice and inflection become quite pronounced at the words “almighty God”, so much so that I seriously thought she was about to catch the spirit and break into song. Each time jurors were selected, the same process was repeated. Raise your hand and “Swear to Almighty God”, with the same gospel fervor each time.

Even though I believe in God this felt very wrong. I don’t think it too far-fetched that the clerk believed in a very different way than I do. Yet I was clearly being asked to swear to it.

And I have to wonder - applying the statistic posted earlier that 85% of Americans are Christian, that leaves the possibility that 12 people in that courtroom were being asked to swear to something they might not believe in AT ALL. Does that then invalidate their ability to be jurors? Does swearing to God automatically guarantee that a juror will be able to impartially evaluate the evidence and apply the law?

Who is really being disenfranchised here? Why can’t jurors, witnesses, defendants, etc. be asked to swear to their integrity and promise to act to the best of their ability -- as human beings? After all, believe in God or not, you ARE only human.

July 30, 2004 10:30 AM Forum: Religion

Where's the comic relief?

An atheist was spending a quiet day fishing when suddenly his boat was attacked by the Loch Ness monster. In one easy flip, the beast tossed him and his boat high into the air. Then it opened its mouth to swallow both.

As the man sailed head over heels, he cried out, "Oh, my God! Help me!"

At once, the ferocious attack scene froze in place, and as the atheist hung in mid-air, a booming voice came down from the clouds: "I thought you didn't believe in Me!"

"Come on, God, give me a break!!" the man pleaded. "Two minutes ago I didn't believe in the Loch Ness monster, either!"

July 30, 2004 10:34 AM Forum: Religion

Secular Quote for the Day

"Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick
themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."

-- Winston Churchill

August 9, 2004 06:34 AM Forum: Star Parties

Re: Illinois Dark Skies Star Party

There are very nice facilities in the family camping area. The shower building is fairly new and they keep it well maintained. The Conservation Department did a nice job with this park.

October 25, 2004 06:48 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Fall palette

Well....I'm ba-a-ck! and I'm armed! With a Panasonic DMC-FZ10. Here's one of the first of my efforts, while I'm getting the hang of it. Posting more under "Insects..etc..."

Thanks for looking!
ccw

October 25, 2004 07:06 PM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Mum's the word

Still some color left in the garden.

October 25, 2004 07:11 PM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Purple sages

The culinary kind.

October 25, 2004 07:15 PM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Purple sage close up

I love the texture of this plant.

October 26, 2004 04:22 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Like dying embers

As Fall winds down, you can always count on the marigolds, for some last minute brilliance.

October 26, 2004 04:26 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Need any parsley?

This is one plant. As you can see it overtook an entire barrel, even though I trimmed it back several times. A little Miracle-Gro goes a long way!
smile