Posts Made By: Anthony Lutton

September 26, 2004 05:18 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Differences with built in equipment

Posted By Anthony Lutton

Tonight while doing some lunar observing with an Orion ED80, and a 4mm Radian eyepiece I noticed that the views through different eyes were quite different. I only noticed this phenomenon at high powers too (150x... roughly 50x per inch on this scope). If I popped in my 14mm Meade UWA, I didn't see much of a difference.

In my right eye (the one I observe with most of the time), the image was slightly dimmer and I could detect more craters, irregularities in the surface and rilles.

In my left eye some of the smaller features weren't visible or easy to pick out... what WAS easy to see where crater rays, differences in contrast of the crater floors and sea floors.

While looking at the area near Aristarchus and the Schroter Vallis, in my right eye (which I was viewing with first) I could detect many of the smaller craters in the area. Comparing the view against Rukl's Atlas of the Moon, I could see many little craters and offshoots of the valley. For some reason I looked at the area with my left eye and was stunned that the view was completely different.

In my left eye, I couldn't make out more than a few craters besides the big ones. What I could see were variations in color the ejecta from Aristarchus created on the lunar surface. While looking at the shadows along the valley, I could see variations in the contrast of the shadows!!

At first I chalked it up to my right eye being "trained" to pick out detail and the image was more "dim" because I'd been staring at the moon for so long with it. So I took a 10 minute break for a drink and went back to viewing after my eyes had relaxed. The difference between my eyes was still as prominent.

Has anyone else ever noticed this type of thing?

I'm going to start observing the moon/planets alternating eyes to pick out different details. And a binoviewer to view with both at the same time is out of the question for now... my wife would kill me 8)

February 3, 2005 05:16 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: APO cooling down

Posted By Anthony Lutton

I'm not sure there is a "formula" to get a number. Typically, cool-down depends on things like size of the objective, thickness of objective, how it is mounted (insulation from atmosphere)... etc etc.

I'd assume that a 5" triplet apo, air spaced in a massive objective cell would cool slower than a 5" doublet in a cheap/small cell with little or no insulation from the atmosphere.

Maybe one of the refractor gurus will step in. FWIW, a SCT with enclosed back and enclosed front will cool MUCH slower than a comparable sized newt.

February 18, 2005 08:39 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Marking in my star atlas

Posted By Anthony Lutton

Quick question, I've been using a #2 pencil and a ruler to pencil in the constellations (or at least common asterisms) in my new Herald-Bobroff Astroatlas. I like being able to identify the orientation quickly and the lines really help.

Anyone have a better idea than this? I don't want it to ruin my atlas, but I like being able to erase small errors (hence the pencil) and I'm afraid ink from a pen/marker will run.

Any other type of marking or type of pencil that people use? Maybe some type of artist pencil or something?

February 27, 2005 03:53 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: I need help!!!!

Posted By Anthony Lutton

8" all the way! Ralph E. had a good suggestion if you plan on photography anytime in the future. But a 5" scope is just too small unless it is a second scope.

June 1, 2005 04:33 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Evolution of the astronomer

Posted By Anthony Lutton

I got to thinking last night ( I HATE it when that happens) about all the different ways to practice amateur astronomy. There are so many different things to do, like deep sky, planetary and lunar, imaging, solar, cloud counting...

I started out (like many) wanting to eventually take impressive astrophotos. I even bought a LX200 a number of years ago and a SLR camera. Then I found out that I REALLY like star hopping and visual inspection more.

I tend to enjoy deepsky, with opportunistic planetary viewing. I have hardly any interest in taking photos anymore, although I love to look at them. I rarely even power up the LX200 anymore. I just set it outside and use it manually... so it is being sold. I have a 14" dobsonian on the way.

My friend on the other hand, started out about the same time as I did and now has 3 telescopes and 2 mounts that he uses exclusively for astrophotagraphy. He rarely looks through the eyepiece. He sold off most of his eyepieces and just borrows mine when out in the field.

So the question here is, how did you arrive at the point where you are at? What pushed you toward astrophotograpy or visual? Do you do both?

For me, observing is relaxing and something that really winds me down and clears my head. Setting up a camera, mount and all the other gizmos does the exact opposite. So I've arrived at being mainly a visual person.

June 25, 2005 05:35 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

First light for Tscope 14!!

Posted By Anthony Lutton

My 14" Tscope with all the toppings arrived today early afternoon. After about 2 solid hours of unwrapping, unpacking, setting up and checking I was ready to go. I can't believe that it was clear out!

I've been using a 8"LX200 for quite a while now and it'll take some getting used to using a dob again. But I'm very impressed with the operation and ease of setup of this telescope.

I mostly gawked at globular clusters last night, M13, M92, M3, M53, M10, M12, NGC 5053 and some faint one near M3 that I don't recall just yet. The difference from an 8" to a 14" is amazing. I can't wait to get them under the stars together. I didn't go after anything challenging, since getting a handle on the nuances of the scope was challenging enough!

Stay tuned for a lengthy and indepth review of the T14. I haven't found many reviews on it, so I plan to take some time and make it a complete overview from ordering to use of the scope.

July 28, 2005 03:27 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Collimating a laser collimator

Posted By Anthony Lutton

I recently got a good deal on a Orion Lasermate Deluxe laser collimator. It actually does a decent job of getting me "in the area" of where I need to be.

Upon checking the collimation of the laser, it is off more than I'd like it to be. I rotated it using a gun stand as my vblock aimed at a wall about 20' away.

Since the collimator is new, would I be better off sending it to Orion and having them collimate it (do they even do this?) or just taking the sticker off and collimating it myself?

July 28, 2006 12:52 PM Forum: Reflectors

Transporting dob in pickup truck?

Posted By Anthony Lutton

Any special ways that you folks would transport a 14" reflector in a pickup truck?

My thoughts were to use some 4" foam stuff I have and set the mirror box on a piece with some covering the 2 sides that would touch the bed of the truck. Then just tie the box to the truck with a strap, blanket and plastic bag? I have a carboard box that the UTA will be sitting in strapped as well (foam lined).

I am going observing this weekend and a friend borrowed my car for a family trip and I have his pickup. The drive is about an hour each way and it includes some dirt roads that are in decent condition (no huge holes).

August 12, 2006 04:21 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Can anyone identify this spider?

Posted By Anthony Lutton

We have about 30 of these guys hanging around the backyard in the bushes. I don't recall seeing them before, they are rather interesting. Anyone know what they are?

October 28, 2006 01:42 AM Forum: Reflectors

Collodion vs Alcohol/Distilled Water for cleaning

Posted By Anthony Lutton

After a few very dewy overnight trips, my mirror has some cruddy circles left behind from water drying on the mirror. I've neglected it trying not to clean it, but I'm afraid the deposits will harm the coatings. There are 3 small rings (maybe 1/8" - 1/4" in diameter) right near the center of the mirror that appear to be salty deposits.

Would the best approach be distilled water rinsing with alcohol and cotton swabs, or the collodion+gauze method? I've never done either and don't mind putting in the work. A few people from my club mentioned the collodion left their mirrors pristine compared to the water method, but I'm wondering if it'll pickup deposits. I assume the collodion mostly picks up loose dust.

If I do use collodion, I have a fume hood that I'll be working in at work since the collodion is heavy in ether. (Just for anyone mentioning the dangers of it).

Thanks in advance!