New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Malcolm Davis

January 11, 2004 06:15 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Meade Autostar Suite with LPI

Posted By Malcolm Davis

Peter,

Thanks for these. I am going to order an Orion Apo in April, and now may look at equipping it with an LPI. I would imagine you would need a motor driven equatorial mount, even for the moon shot? I was planning on mounting mine on a Televue Gibraltar mount.

cheers,

Malcolm

January 12, 2004 06:27 PM Forum: Celestron

CG-5 Mount Dimensions

Posted By Malcolm Davis

Hi,

Can someone tell me the overall dimensions of the CG-5 mount for a C-9.25SGT SCT? I am trying to determine whether it will fit in the back of Mini Cooper S (new model) I am buying in July? I know I can accomodate the OTA in a JMI case. I need to work out whether the mount will fit as well. If it can't there is not much point me investing in a C-9.25 SGT later in the year.

thanks,

Malcolm

July 28, 2004 08:16 PM Forum: Celestron

Televue 2" Everbrite Star Diagnol and C-9.25SGT

Posted By Malcolm Davis

Greetings from the UK,

I am considering my options for purchasing a new scope for later in the year, with my 'short list' ranging from Orion's XT-12 Dob through to a wide range of Meade and Celestron GOTO scopes. One of which really interests me is the Celestron C-9.25SGT Schmidt-Cass.

My query is whether this scope will accept a Televue 2" Everbrite Star Diagnol, that will allow me to use their 2" eyepieces, such as the 31mm Type 5 Nagler and the 55mm Plossl.

The main UK dealer, seemed to infer that the C-9.25SGT would not accept a 2" Everbrite Star Diagnol. If someone could clarify this, I'd be most grateful, as it will definately have an impact on what I eventually buy.

Many thanks,

Malcolm

September 20, 2004 01:59 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Classic Telescopes from the 1970s and 1980s

Posted By Malcolm Davis

Hi,

As a former owner of a Cave Astrola 8" F6 Newtonian, which I purchased whilst visiting the US in 1978, and unfortunately had to sell in 1984, I have a nostalgic desire to see if such classic telescopes are available. Either one of the Cave Newtonians, or a Starliner Newtonian would be great, or a classic Orange Tube Celestron.

How much would these sorts of telescopes cost these days, and where can one buy them?

I live in the UK, so if anyone knows of whether or not they are sold there, that would be helpful.

Many thanks,

Malcolm

November 9, 2004 04:57 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Orion XT-12 and Coma

Posted By Malcolm Davis

Hi,

I have been looking at various options for a large aperture, though portable scope and one option is an Orion XT-12. My question relates to coma. I have heard it said that large aperture scopes like the XT-12 suffer from coma, and thus an additional outlay is needed to correct this, normally in the form of a coma corrector such as the Televue Paracorr. Is this likely to be the case with the Orion XT-12, and are their more cost effective solutions to removing coma than an expense Televue option?

Many thanks,

Malcolm

May 10, 2005 11:55 AM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Mounting a Maxscope 40

Posted By Malcolm Davis

Just some quick guidance. What are the best mount options for a Maxscope 40? I was looking at a Televue Gibraltar mount as a quick and easy, 'grab and go' option. I presume there is some way to attach the scope to this mount?

Alternately, will the Maxscope attach onto a Vixen GPDX?

thanks,

Malcolm

May 10, 2005 12:46 PM Forum: Meade

LX-90 LNT 10" and 12" SCTs

Posted By Malcolm Davis

Does anyone know details on the new LX-90s (10" and 12"). They are just appearing on websites for telescope dealers here in the UK.

Malcolm

September 19, 2005 03:03 PM Forum: Meade

ETX-125PE/EC and Solar Observing

Posted By Malcolm Davis

Hi,

Just a query - is the Autostar controller on the ETX-125 (PE or EC) set up for doing solar observation? I'm looking to buy an ETX-125 and piggyback a Coronado PST, whilst using the ETX with a full aperture white light filter. Ideally, I'd also like some sort of CCD imaging ability, either through LPI or DSI through either scope.

Such a setup would be ideal for both eclipse chasing, and general solar observation, but a first glance at the ETX manual does not suggest the Sun is listed on the controller software.

thanks,

Malcolm

September 25, 2005 10:54 AM Forum: Maksutovs

Maksutov OTA for a Sky Watcher EQ3-2 Mount

Posted By Malcolm Davis

I have a 4" F5 Sky Watcher Achromat Refractor, sitting on a EQ3-2 mount with dual axis drives. I release the mount is not first class, but for visual work, and basic astro-imaging it's not bad. I am interested in replacing the 4" refractor OTA with something a bit better (I no longer use the 4" as I have an 80mm Apo instead) for use on the EQ3-2, with an eye towards visual planetary observing. Two possibilities emerge - a long-focal length refractor, which is bulky and probably would require a more robust mount, or a Maksutov-Cassegrain. I'm looking more at the latter.

I have considered Intes as the most likely choice - but would like some advice on which OTA from Intes is best. I'd be looking to spend around the £600 - £1000 mark (or equivalent in US$). It needs to be compact, equipped with a 50mm finder, and have a piggyback mount for attaching a camera.

Would appreciate any advice.

thaks,

Malcolm (UK).

September 5, 2006 09:33 PM Forum: Celestron

Suitability of C9.25SGT for Astro-Imaging

Posted By Malcolm Davis

Hi,

I'm looking at various options to move into astro imaging. I know that the C9.25 f10 XLT OTA is well recommended, and I am looking at that as one option (the other being the Vixen VC-200L on a Vixen Sphinx). I need advice on the mount. I want true GOTO, ideally with GPS as well. I need the mount to be luggable. I looked at the Sky Watcher EQ-6 Pro Sky Scan, and with the C9.25 OTA, the advice I received was that it was very heavy to the point that I could not lift it (I'm reasonably fit). I need to move it about ten feet from a garden shed to my patio. Is the C9.25SGT a better bet in terms of portability, and is the CG-5GT mount suitable for astro-imaging with a Canon 350D DSLR and a Meade DSI 1? I'd be seeking to do both DSOs, using the reducer corrector, and planetary work.

thanks,

Malcolm