My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Larry Seguin

October 6, 2003 05:05 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Viewing the planets

Posted By Larry Seguin

I'm hoping that some of you reading this have the experience to help me think through an issue. I've had a number of reflectors, and now own a 12.5" f/6 starsplitter with starsplitter optics. I've also had a number of 60 and 90 mm refractors, and currently own a C-102HD. I have an opportunity to upgrade this refractor to either a TV-102 or a Takahashi 102FS. Here's the questions: Does anyone have enough experience with these two scopes to know if one will significantly outperform the other for high power planetary viewing? And, does it make any difference? Would I be better off sticking with the reflector over either of the two apos? Thanks for any insights you can share. Larry Seguin.

October 29, 2003 10:24 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Powermates or barlows?

Posted By Larry Seguin

I'd appreciate hearing about anyones' experiences with powermates, specifically, is there a significant improvement over a barlow's performance? Also, does anyone have experience with the 5X powermate? The thought of doing hihg power planetary viewing with a 25 mm eyepiece is really intriguing! Thanks for any insights. Larry Seguin.

October 31, 2003 07:05 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

A .965 question...

Posted By Larry Seguin

My new TV-102 saw first light last night, and oh is she ever sweet! Only one small thing mars our little honeymoon period, however. My favorite high power planetary eyepiece up to this point has been a 7mm .965 Pentax ortho, used in a .965/1.25 adapter. Last night, thouogh, I discovered that when you slip the 7mm into it's 1.25 adapter, and then slip that into the 1.25/2" adapter on a TV Everbright diagonal, the whole affair comes just short of focus with the focuser racked all the way in. If it were the other way around, I could just pull any element of the chain out a bit and tighten it up, but I can't think of a way to deal with too little in focus travel. Am I missing something, or is this a simple problem that someone out there has been able to solve? Thanks for any advice.

November 11, 2003 05:27 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Naglers: types 1 and 6

Posted By Larry Seguin

Maybe some one out there has experience with these two types of eyepieces. I'm thinking of adding a 9mm Nagler to my case, and wonder what the differences between the original and new models are. Has any one tried them both? Larry Seguin.

November 19, 2003 07:02 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

5X Powermate for planets

Posted By Larry Seguin

Like everyone else, I want it all when it comes to high power planetary viewing. Here's my latest scheme: drop 25, 18, and 12mm HD Orthos in a 5X Powermate. Hoped for results: bright, sharp images with sufficient eye relief (okay, I'm willing to sacrifice a little field of view for the sharpest image possible). Anybody out there have any experience with an arrangement like this? Will the Powermate degrade the image of the Orthoscopics? Any other ideas? Larry Seguin.

November 29, 2003 10:39 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

41mm Panoptic performance

Posted By Larry Seguin

These have been out a while now, but I've yet to see a post on them. What about it? With it's tfov, this should be one awesome performer! Larry Seguin.

December 15, 2003 12:27 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

5mm's on Cassini

Posted By Larry Seguin

Taking advantage of a break between storm fronts, I put my TV-102 on the moon tonight to compare the views through a 5mm UOHD vs. a 25mm UO ortho/5x Powermate combination. Conventional wisdom and theory says the fewer elements the better, but on Cassini every time I looked through the 5mm I could make out the crater and Cassini A within it, and whenever I switched to the 25mm/Powermate combo Cassini B would pop out. Every time I switched eyepieces, the same result. Anyone out there have a comment or an insight to help me understand this?

Larry Seguin

December 15, 2003 09:03 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Hannes' 6mm Zeiss ortho

Posted By Larry Seguin

I've been wanting to try one of the highly regarded Zeiss orthos, so I placed an ad, and got a response from Deuseldorf, Germany. Problem is, the gentleman has placed a lot of ads on Astromart, but has no ratings. Does anybody out there have any positive feedback on Hannes Hasebergen?
Larry Seguin

April 10, 2004 02:00 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Question on Radians

Posted By Larry Seguin

I've been reading the posts comparing Pentax XL's to Radian's, and want to ask the question in a slightly different way. When I was using Radian's I came to feel that the contrast was not what it should be--rather as though the lens was always just a little grimy or fogged. When I compared them to Pentax XL's I thought that the XL's were noticeably "clearer", with better contrast. Yes, the Radian's really were clean, and no, I don't think I had a bad sample because I was using 6, 8, and 10mm Radians, and they couldn't all be bad samples, could they? Has anyone else felt that the Radians lacked something in contrast, or weren't as clear as they should be, or am I the only one? Maybe it's time for a visit to the optometrist!
Larry Seguin

April 17, 2004 01:39 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Who makes this eyepiece?

Posted By Larry Seguin

In the process of buying a larger, faster telescope, I find I need a different low power eyepiece to stay under a 7mm exit pupil. I read a review on a 2" 30mm or 32mm eyepiece with an 80 degree field of view, selling for around $200-$300. Can any one out there help me out with the name of company making this? Thanks for reading--
Larry Seguin