My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Richard Beasley

October 10, 2007 04:20 AM Forum: Refractors

What's a good refractor on a budget?

Posted By Richard Beasley

David, I think the first step will be to decide what you are looking to get out of the refractor. You state you are looking for better quality, so does that mean you are expecting better views from the refractor, or do you mean a better build quality?

I think a small refractor can be a great companion to an 8" DOB. If it were me I would be looking for a small light grab and go on a simple ALT/AZ mount. On the high end of the scale something like a TV76 on a Panoramic mount.

If you have a good sample of the 8" scope it will provide better views than the smalller refractor. If you are disappointed in the reflector I would diagnose whatever the problem may be if one exist.

I have owned a bunch of scopes, and they have been sold. One of them I really miss is an 80mm Megrez Achro. It was light, and ready to go in a minute. I used it for low power wide field viewing, which is where you should be looking to compliment the reflector.

Good luck,
Richard

David Hahn said:

Hey everyone,
First of all I want you to know that I am a college kid, and I haven't been into astronomy for very long. That said, I currently have an Orion XT8 that I use with a few TV eye pieces (19mm Pan, 35mm Pan, and 7mm Nagler 6) and I have really loved the views. However, I am looking for something with better quality, and I thought a refractor would be the way to go. I have spent a lot of time reading over forums about everything from Orion's 80mm ED to the Megrez 90 Doublet APO to the Televue-85. I have around $2000 saved up to spend on the mount, scope, and accessories. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

October 12, 2007 11:31 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Counter Weights for G-11

Floyd, wear your safety glasses on that operation!!!!

I ran into the same problem with costs when I was looking for a 5" hole saw.

The Casady weights are expensive, but they sure are nice.

Good luck, and do update.

Richard

April 5, 2008 12:08 AM Forum: Polls

NCAA 2008 Mens Basketball Champions

Well I watch a lot of college BB, and Memphis looks like the best team to me. I am a die hard North Carolina fan, and it pains me to say, but I rank the teams 1) Memphis, 2) Kansas, 3) North Carolina, and 4) UCLA.

We will just have to wait and see.

Richard

April 6, 2008 03:07 AM Forum: Polls

NCAA 2008 Mens Basketball Champions

Maybe I should head to Vegas?

He he,
Richard