My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Ron Streetenberger

June 3, 2003 11:12 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Pentax XL Eyecup removal

Posted By Ron Streetenberger

Could anyone tell me if the eyecup on the Pentax SMC XL eyepiece is removable/replacable, and how to accomplish this? I am into digiscoping, and would prefer to do this with the eyecup removed.

June 11, 2003 03:12 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Scopecording

I have recently done some camcording through the eyepiece of my Pentax PF80ED spotting scope. The results have been amazing. Using a modified PVC connector(Spears 1 1/2 X 1 1/4 , purchased at Home Depot) I was able to attach a 37 to 52mm step ring to it, and screw it into the filter ring threads on the camcorder. This assembly was able to fit precicely over the eyepiece when properly bored out a few thousandths. With the 14mm Pentax XL eyepiece, the results were very sharp and bright. I will be putting it to the test soon at the Dallas/Fort Worth Airport. For an 8 dollar investment it's a blast.

July 15, 2003 03:55 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Mississippi Kite

This is my first attempt at digiscoping. Canon A70 coupled to Pentax PF80-ED. Something around 60X magnification. I hope to get my focusing technique to improve as I get more familiar with the process.

July 19, 2003 02:39 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Thanks Jim, Cal, and Tyler

I appreciate your encouraging replies. Digiscoping is very satisfying, yet a lot of work. All of your photos are terrific, and are evident of your expertise in a field that demands both patience and perfection. Living next to the DFW airport minimizes my opportunities, but I will seek out photo venues wherever I can.

August 3, 2003 09:19 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Home Depot Scope to Camera Adapters

These adapters attach My Canon A70 camera to my Pentax PF80-ED spotting scope. Shown left to right:
Adapter for 17mm Pentax XL eyepiece.
Cover for " " " "
Adapter for 32mm Teleview Ploessl eyepiece.
Cover for Pentax eyepiece with eyecup removed.
Adapter to couple Canon Camcorder to Pentax eyepiece with Eyecup removed.

Total cost: Under fifteen bucks. Some lathe work was required.

August 4, 2003 08:38 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

New Pose, Mississippi Kite

Taken with Canon A70 at max zoom, coupled to Pentax PF80-ED, using 32mm Teleview Ploessl eyepiece. Image was cropped to most pleasing appearance.

August 4, 2003 11:43 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Assassin Bug????

Texas sized ugly bug. Canon A70, distance between 2 and 3 inches.

August 10, 2003 08:25 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Tiger Swallowtail

Taken with Minolta Maxxum 7000 with 24-50 f4 zoom. Hard photo cropped but not enhanced in any way.

August 10, 2003 09:00 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Tiger Swallowtail(smaller image)

Same shot as previous, only better size for this forum.

August 15, 2003 07:53 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Morning Dew On Umbrella

Canon A70 macro. Early morning sun. Cropped and enhanced.