My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Tyler Allred

May 11, 2003 04:21 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Hobby or Profession??

Posted By Tyler Allred

Please don't laugh at this question! Do any of you ever take photos for magazines, books, etc., or is it strictly a fun hobby? If you do sell photos, how do you go about finding outlets for your work?

I have so many opportunities to take photos of wildlife that I have often wondered about expanding my business to include a little part-time photography. I'm just interested in your thoughts on this matter.

Ty

May 11, 2003 06:25 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Mountain Goat - Finally

Posted By Tyler Allred

Hi all,
I have been trying to get a decent photo of the goats in my area for a long time. Tonight, I took two of my daughters for a ride in Provo Canyon, and to my amazement, I stumbled onto a group of goats feeding in some very steep terrain (I used my Leica rangefinder to check the distance...about 1150 yards). I used my Celestron C5 with a 25mm TeleVue Panoptic, and got this. Its not perfect, but, considering the distance, its not too bad. These goats really look scruffy this time of year. Enjoy!
Ty

May 11, 2003 06:43 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

- One more goat -

Posted By Tyler Allred

This female has a tiny calf with her...it standing between her back legs and peeking out under her belly. You can just barely make it out in the photo. Sorry I couldn't get a better shot of it, but the calf was stuck to her like glue, and they were too far away. It sure was fun to watch.
Ty

May 11, 2003 06:52 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

- And another

Posted By Tyler Allred

This one was standing right on the edge of an incredible cliff, and he was reaching for the green stuff. He seemed totally at ease in a spot that would have made my vertigo kick in! Enjoy.
Ty

May 12, 2003 04:39 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Twilight Buck

Posted By Tyler Allred

Hi all,
I'm dipping into my winter stash of muley photos again. This one was taken just before dark. He was kind enough to stand on the ridgeline and wait while I set up my tripod/spotting scope/camera. Then he struck the perfect pose and held it for a long exposure (1/2 second). I was surprised that the camera captured this much detail on the deer, because the backlight was pretty overpowering.

May 12, 2003 04:45 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Time to drop the antlers

Posted By Tyler Allred

This one was taken on March 11th. By then, most of the deer had dropped their antlers. These two bucks were the exceptions.....well sort of!
Enjoy,
Ty

May 12, 2003 04:58 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Eagles on the Ice at Deer Creek Res.

Posted By Tyler Allred

Here is a shot of two eagles that were on the ice at Deer Creek Reservior in northern Utah, the day before the ice melted out (3/11/03). I posted a similar pic on the Birding Site a few days ago. No one has suggested what they might have been doing on the ice. There were lots of eagles on the ice that day...in fact, the place was crawling with them.
Ty

May 12, 2003 05:10 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Big Chief Squatting Buck

Posted By Tyler Allred

This buck decided to relieve himself, and wouldn't you know it...some pervert was standing in the bushes with a camera (ME!).
Ty

May 12, 2003 05:15 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Pansies

Posted By Tyler Allred

Yesterday, I decided to try my hand at a closeup. The pansies in my front yard seemed like the obvious choice.
Ty

May 13, 2003 05:45 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Red-Tailed Hawk

Posted By Tyler Allred

Hi all,
This shot was taken today at about 4:00 PM Mountain....very fresh! I have been trying for several days to get a decent shot of this bird. He hangs around my jobsite, but he is very skittish. Today, I got lucky and he held still long enough for a shot from about 250 yards. (Photo taken with my Nikon 4300 through the eyepiece of my Swarovski ATS65).
Cheers,
Ty