New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mark Costello III

May 2, 2017 06:00 AM Forum: Politics

"Consitution > Partisan Politics". Richard Dreyfu

Posted By Mark Costello III

David Cotterell said:

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/04/29/see-the-astonishing-reason-actor-richard-dreyfuss-left-tucker-carlson-absolutely-speechless/

Mr. Dreyfuss is a strict constitutionalist.... no partisan stuff for him.

And get civics back in the classroom!

Dave

I don't know anything about Richard Dreyfuss beyond this ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Dreyfuss

... so I can't say I'd see "eye-to-eye" with him on everything, but I agree with everything he said as reported in that article.

Here are some snippets from the article:

"Dreyfuss, according to Carlson, emailed the Fox host a few days prior asking to appear on Carlson’s show to talk about a recent issue that Carlson and another guess sparred over: the federal judge’s recent ruling which said that it’s unconstitutional for President Donald Trump to unilaterally withhold federal funds from “sanctuary cities” for not complying with his demands.

Carlson’s point was there was no outcry from Democrats when former President Barack Obama threatened to withhold federal funds from North Carolina last year over the state’s controversial “transgender bathroom law.”

Dreyfuss explained to Carlson that the president and the executive branch, constitutionally speaking, don’t have the right to withhold funds from states. That job, Dreyfuss explained, belongs to Congress."

[I concur. It doesn't matter whether the "problem" is "sanctuary cities" or "HB2," the Executive has absolutely no right to withhold funds collected from taxes of the citizens of any of the several states.]

"But Dreyfuss didn’t want his conversation with Carlson to end there.

“I want to mention one thing,” the actor told Carlson. “You were talking about the speakers on university campuses. And I am totally, incontrovertibly on your side about this.”

“I think any intrusion into freedom of speech is an intrusion into freedom of speech. And when one of the presidents of one of the colleges said, ‘this is a school, not a battlefield,’ I said, no, it is a battlefield of ideas and we must have dissonant, dissenting opinions on campuses and I think it’s political correctness taken to a nightmarish point of view,” Dreyfuss explained."

...and...

"The star actor continued:

'I have withdrawn from partisan politics. I am a constitutionalist who believes that the Constitution and the Bill of Rights must be central and the parties must be peripheral. What’s most important for me is what you just mentioned haphazardly, we are over 30. Civics has not been taught in the American public school system since 1970. And that means everyone in Congress never studied the constitution and the bill of rights as you and I might have.

And that is a critical flaw because it’s why we were admired and respected for so long, it gives us our national identity, it tells the world who we are and why we are who we are, and without a frame that gives us values that stand behind the bill of rights, we’re just floating in the air and our sectors of society are not connected.

What’s really important is that the assumptions of the left and the right are all skewed wrong. We have t find areas of agreement and areas that we share. And we do share the notion that education accomplishes certain things. One, it turns students into citizens. And, two, it teaches students how to run the country before it’s their turn to run the country. And, three, it teaches the values of this nation.

People come from all over the world or are born into this nation without the values that we have here. That’s why they came here, to get them. And what are they? You can put them in opportunity, rise by merit, mobility, and freedom. That’s what we sell. And if you don’t want that, you’ve chosen the wrong place. And you don’t get a pass by being born here, you have to learn it. Even the Ten Commandments are not known at birth. You must learn them. And we must learn our values and if we don’t, we are fatally, fatally wounding ourselves. We will not have any way to really combat the ideas behind ISIS because we won’t know our own. And we have to.'"

...finally...

"Carlson, who is known for grilling his guests and engaging in combative debates with liberals, was left speechless.

“So I—typically I interrupt our guests and I expected to debate you, but—I agree with every single word of that and I just want to say thank you very much,” Carlson said. “I think it’s important.”"

Well said by both men. Here is a link to Dreyfuss' initiative.

http://www.thedreyfussinitiative.org/

PS: In the grade school run by the priests and nuns of OSJ, our American history teachers (4th, 5th, 7th, & 8th grades) worked in a good bit of civics, as did the 11th grade history teacher in the high school, also run by clerics OSJ. I took a required civics course in 12th grade (taught by a conservative) and a civics elective as a college sophomore at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (taught by a liberal). FWIW, I got a "B" in each. All of this was roughly a half century ago, when it was expected that students would learn civics....

PPS: Finally, here's something on which you and I agree 8O

June 8, 2017 01:15 PM Forum: Politics

Comey

As can be seen elsewhere, I'm no fan of this President, but I have a real beef with the Main Stream Media, with this article...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/comey-hints-special-counsel-looking-trump-possible-obstruction-151344457.html

... as an example.

Do you see the words in the link? Do you see the "header" on the article in this link? Now do you see what Ex-FBI Comey is quoted as actually saying? :

"Asked whether he believed the president was trying to obstruct justice with his request to “let this go,” Comey said, “I don’t think it’s for me to say whether the conversation I had with the president was an effort to obstruct.”

“I took it as very disturbing thing, very concerning,” he continued. “But that’s a conclusion I’m sure the special counsel will work towards.”

This is not a hint. It is not a suggestion. It is a guess. It might be a really good guess, but it's just a guess. Mr. Comey was dismissed from the government before Mr. Mueller was appointed Special Counsel. So Mr. Comey might not know any more than I do that Mr. Mueller is looking into the possibility that the President obstructed justice.

IMHO, the MSM, at least CNN, is trying to address charges of bias at least on this side of the 2016 election. But this only adds fuel to charges that they are still biased....

June 22, 2017 02:21 PM Forum: Politics

Smart like a Fox

Well, that's one way of looking at it. Of course, if you're the other fellow (Comey) and you're honest, the thing to do is to smoke out the tapes, knowing that if they would vindicate you. What got smoked out was that the President never had the tapes. That on top of his initial tweeting on this (Comey better hope the President doesn't have tapes) doesn't make him look all that hot in my book. Why couldn't he just tweet his record of the conversations and not say anything at all about the non-existent tapes? cwy

June 28, 2017 06:27 AM Forum: How to make AstroMart BETTER!! My idea is.....

No hate... all the love.

Hi, Matthews. This came up not long ago in a different thread. This annoyance seems to be common with software provided for heavy user interaction such as this and some corporate software I have to use at work. If you don't hit "enter" or something like that over some preset interval, the software boots you out. The workaround you mention is the only thing I know of that will help here (and with my software - where I write it on WORD then copy it in as needed)....

June 28, 2017 06:35 AM Forum: Politics

So Bigly Sad

Hi, Matthew. I see that you're trying to do something about this. A "spot check" indicates that you started at least two threads (I just responded to one of them smile ) and participated in at least one other. That's the best anyone can do. It's been a little while but I started a thread or two over the last year or so with the idea of getting a discussion on scopes or observing started. Also, it appears that most of the astro-related chit-chat has moved over to Cloudy Nights FBOW. You could participate over there. Of course, Astro-Mart is THE place for buying, selling, or trading used astro-gear. grin

June 28, 2017 02:22 PM Forum: Politics

Personal Responsibility in Health care

David Cotterell said:

Pence tweets.

"Before summer’s out, we'll repeal/replace Obamacare w/ system based on personal responsibility, free-market competition & state-based reform
1:41 PM - 24 Jun 2017"

"That’s the Republican way. That’s the American way. And, that’s the way we’re going to reform health care in the 21st Century.
1:42 PM - 24 Jun 2017"

Personal responsibility? Will coverage be limited or outright denied to someone who smokes? To someone who becomes paralyzed in a skiing accident? Because there is a clear "personal responsibility" in this type of situation...

BUT

Who is personally responsible for Type 1 diabetes? Childhood Leukemia? ALS? MS? MD? Cystic Fibrosis? Becoming a quadriplegic in a road accident? Alzheimer's? Parkinson's? Any number of maladies that require a lifetime of care and costs that no middle class family can afford without guaranteed lifetime health insurance?

By all means, throw the wheel-chair bound protestor out!! She wants an insurer to pay for her care for the rest of her life!!! How dare she!!!

Dave

Cystic Fibrosis? I can speak to that. One of my three brothers and one of my four sisters were born of this disease and died of it, Danny in 1967 at age 11 and Margaret on Christmas Eve 1980 just 11 days before her 29th. My parents were able to give them good treatment, from massages they administered to oral medication to special tents to trips to Boston, Massachusetts for what then was cutting edge treatment, all on a regular "middle class" income (my Dad was a small businessman and for part of that time my mother was a homemaker). You can see my two posts in the other thread on this topic. The point here is "Obama Care" was neither available nor needed to afford their treatment back then. While I'm concerned about its replacement and wrote a post to express one of those concerns (see that other thread), it does not seem that all the particulars of ACA are needed to give patients of CF or other birth defects good treatment.

July 31, 2017 09:58 AM Forum: Politics

Not just a good idea, it's the law!

James Lacey said:

https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/publications/fs-sex.cfm

Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination that violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Title VII applies to employers with 15 or more employees, including state and local governments. It also applies to employment agencies and to labor organizations, as well as to the federal government.

Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature constitute sexual harassment when this conduct explicitly or implicitly affects an individual's employment, unreasonably interferes with an individual's work performance, or creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive work environment.

Sexual harassment can occur in a variety of circumstances, including but not limited to the following:

The victim as well as the harasser may be a woman or a man.

The victim does not have to be of the opposite sex.

The harasser can be the victim's supervisor, an agent of the employer, a supervisor in another area, a co-worker, or a non-employee.

The victim does not have to be the person harassed but could be anyone affected by the offensive conduct.

Unlawful sexual harassment may occur without economic injury to or discharge of the victim.

Hello, James. Why this lead-off post? No one would raise objections to this, except maybe the part you put in bold.

That part could to me be offensive and has a great potential to be unconstitutional. Specifically, in response to a question from someone, I might say something about my beliefs concerning a traditional marriage and family, and presto, some third party could claim to be offended. That's an example of how the law behind this clause could be unconstitutional....

August 3, 2017 09:20 AM Forum: Politics

Just another brick in the wall

James Lacey said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/politics/australia-mexico-transcripts/?utm_term=.f3d18ac92807

You guys are totally being played on this wall issue. It's just red meat for the loyal partisans and a distraction for everyone else.

Nieto: You have a very big mark on our back, Mr. President, regarding who pays for the wall. This is what I suggest, Mr. President – let us stop talking about the wall. I have recognized the right of any government to protect its borders as it deems necessary and convenient. But my position has been and will continue to be very firm saying that Mexico cannot pay for that wall.

Trump: But you cannot say that to the press. The press is going to go with that and I cannot live with that. You cannot say that to the press because I cannot negotiate under those circumstances.

Nieto: However, this is why we should walk on the path that we began, because when we start talking about the wall it prevents us from talking about other important issues that we must discuss. I clearly understand what this issue constitutes for you in the United States. And for Mexico, it is also an issue that goes beyond the economic situation because this is an issue related to the dignity of Mexico and goes to the national pride of my country. Let us for now stop talking about the wall. Let us look for a creative way to solve this issue, for this to serve both are your government, my government, and both of our societies. Let us leave this topic – let us put it aside and let us find a creative way of looking into this issue. And let us move forward on other issues that I think are positive for both of our countries. That would be my position, Mr. President.

Trump: Okay, Enrique, that is fine and I think it is fair. I do not bring up the wall but when the press brings up the wall, I will say, “let us see how it is going – let us see how it is working out with Mexico.� Because from an economic issue, it is the least important thing we were talking about, but psychologically, it means something so let us just say “we will work it out.�

Hello. I remain among President Trump's "loyal opposition." Also, I have no problem with a more measured approach to addressing concerns about our borders while preserving families and dealing fairly with "illegals" who have been here years and even pay various taxes. But I have to say, it gets a little disconcerting to see the terms "red meat" and "chum" thrown around, not just here, but in other posts on Astromart and also in op-ed pieces in various newspapers and magazines. It's always used by more liberal people as a term of denigration of various conservatives. My response is this: There is no red meat with conservatives. It's all with the liberals in their abortuaries.

August 19, 2017 12:33 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

What binos will you be using for the eclipse?

Hi, Rob. We (our family) have a pair of Celestron 7X35s which I bought a long time ago for day time use. I'll probably bring them along but am not sure that I'll use them. My scopes, an Explore Scientific AR127 and a new Orion 180mm Mak, will be staying home. This is the first time that I, my wife Laura, or a daughter will have seen any solar eclipse. For sure I and probably they will want to get the whole experience, which will involve looking at the sky as we get close to totality and even during totality, and keeping our ears and eyes open for changes in animal activity. We can best do this with just our eyes.

It'll be a last minute call, but we'll probably watch the eclipse from the Duke World of Energy at Oconee Nuclear Station.

Best Regards.

September 5, 2017 06:31 AM Forum: Politics

thoughts for Labor Day

I looked this guy up.

https://georgecarlin.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Carlin

There's nothing that he can say that would merit my attention.