New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mark Costello III

April 20, 2009 02:00 PM Forum: Politics

Ahmadinejad Clowns

Posted By Mark Costello III

"
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad accused the West of using the Holocaust as a "pretext" for aggression against Palestinians, prompting European diplomats to walk out Monday from a speech disrupted by jeering protesters in rainbow wigs tossing red clown noses at the hardline leader."

.... It should have been shoes.

May 20, 2009 05:33 AM Forum: Politics

A Shocker

Both (sex outside marriage and abortion) are sins. Abortion is a loathsome evil.

May 20, 2009 01:45 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Uncle Rod's Pal Rides Again

Is that an Edmund Deluxe Space Conqueror? That's a nice blast from the past. I wanted that scope when I saw it in 1966 but being a penny pincher (and having a bank account of less than $140) I went for a Sears 60mm refractor ($39.95), one with one of those horrible yoke mounts. After a couple of months with that little devil, I took a four year siesta from the hobby. sad

May 22, 2009 10:03 AM Forum: Politics

Obama and the little people...

Not too good, and neither was the White House statement. But let's wait and see. Perhaps the president didn't know about what happened out at the gates at the time and perhaps he will find a way to set this right.

Mark Costello
Matthews, NC

June 15, 2009 02:08 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

June DSO Lists

Hi Dave,

I'd add M13 to that list. I enjoyed my first observation of it this season about three Saturdays ago, getting a nice grainy view of it at 110X (in a 4"F6.5 achro) at 110X and stars across its face at 220X.

Also, I'd add a few late spring DSOs which are still high in the western sky in the evening. Last Saturday, I got my first whiff of NGC4485 and NGC4490 in Canes Venatici. They were not much more than detectable, but were there. Even better was my first view of M94. In the past I had come up empty looking for this one because I tried star-hopping to it from Cor Caroli. Last Saturday I took a hint from my star charts which show M94 almost straight east from Chara. Slewing about 4 deg (20m) east from Chara got me to what at first appeared to be an out of focus star. By centering on a dim (maybe Mag 9 or 10) star just 0.2 deg north, ramping up to 110X, then refocusing, I was able to get a nice view of this object which showed a very bright core. I wish M51 was that bright. I was about to line that one up but clouds rolled in from the west and put an end to my session. I'd throw M51 on the list as well.

Best Regards,

Mark Costello
Matthews, NC

July 2, 2009 02:00 PM Forum: Sports

Who you callin' Minor League?

I remember a baseball episode like this. When I was a kid growing up in Jacksonville, I remember reading about my Jacksonville J-Mets (now Suns) hosting the owner NY Mets and beating them 2-0. That was around 1962-1963. The odd thing was that the Mets pitchers combined for a no-hitter and the team still coughed up two runs.

I actually like watching the Charlotte Knights play. It's cheap and at the Triple A level, you can see at times some really outstanding Major league play. I used to watch them with my daughters when they were small and wanted to go. Now that they're teens and with my wife not too interested, I don't get out to the ol' ball park that often anymore. sad

January 29, 2010 01:42 PM Forum: Politics

President Obama-Nobel...

Hi Dave,

Almost certainly I won't be voting to re-elect the President in 2012 but I'm not going to fault him for this. He shouldn't have accepted the Nobel Peace Prize but I'll give the President a tip of the ol' fedora for telling the celebrants in Oslo that he would look to our defense.

Mark Costello
Matthews, NC

February 9, 2010 01:32 PM Forum: Politics

You gotta admit...

It reminds me of a passage from one of Arthur Schlesinger's biographies of JFK (Thousand Days IIRC). In it he tells of buttons showing up with

"I miss Ike.
Hell, I miss Harry."

(Yes, I'm that old. 8O )

Mark Costello
Matthews, NC

April 22, 2010 01:37 PM Forum: Politics

The religion we're not at war with...

Here's another....

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/entertainment/movies/director-avoids-Islam-icon-2012-dpgo-fc-1257441543198

Mark Costello
Matthews, NC

May 6, 2010 05:34 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Can Losmandy GM8 Handle a C9.25

http://www.scopereviews.com/page1l.html#2