Posts Made By: Mark Petersen

March 20, 2004 05:33 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Source of Silicon Monoxide?

Posted By Mark Petersen

The Minnesota Astronomical Society’s Amateur Telescope Making (ATM) Special Interest Group along with the Eisenhower Observatory Volunteers in Hopkins, Minnesota obtained a surplus 1960's era vacuum coater from a local college.

The coater is large enough to do a 16-inch diameter mirror.

We are reconditioning the coater and adding a second heated source to be able to apply an overcoat.

Does anyone know where we can obtain Silicon Monoxide for the overcoat?

Are there any safety precautions one should take with handling of Silicon Monoxide?

Thanks,

Mark Petersen

April 23, 2005 05:44 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Solar Activity Sat April 23, 2005

Posted By Mark Petersen

The sun is active today (Sat April 23, 2005). Get out there and observe if you can. Two fairly large prominences and a nice smaller one.

Mark Petersen
Minnesota
SM-60 / TV-85

January 26, 2006 03:29 AM Forum: Telescope Making

First Ebony Star, Next Teflon?

Posted By Mark Petersen

I have read the posts here about the reports of Ebony Star laminate being discontinued.

On Wednesday evening I was watching the ABC national nightly news program. They had a story about the EPA wanting to discontinue the use of a key ingredient used in the making of DuPont's Teflon material because of cancer concerns.

Could Teflon be next?

Mark Petersen

November 12, 2006 10:26 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Photo Accessories Needed?

Posted By Mark Petersen

I would like to take HA solar images with a digital SLR using a SolarMax 60 / BF15 filter and a Televue 85 refractor. What other accessories should I use? Thanks.