My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mark Hansen

February 28, 2003 04:42 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

February Messier marathon run

Posted By Mark Hansen

I decided to take advantage of the incredibly clear sky here last night in West Michigan by doing the Messier Marathon. I observed from my yard using a 16" F4 dob and an 83mm achromat refractor. When starting out the position of M74, 77 and 33 made them easy fare after dark. However, the morning objects were a different story. Since it is a little early in the season to do a marathon, Sagittarius was very low in the SE before morning twilight. Ended up starhopping off M24, M17 and M8 to find the brighter Messier objects nearby. Finished at 6:00am with M15 which was located just above distant treetops in the East. M15 brought the night's total to 96. Temperature was below zero during the early morning hours, but the good transparency and cloud free skies made it worthwhile. Hopefully I get another chance to repeat near the Next dark Moon in March.

Anybody else out there have results or in the planning/practicing stages of a marathon?

Clear skies,
Mark Hansen
http://pages.pathwaynet.com/~mhansen/astro/

December 2, 2003 07:31 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Hawaii trip suggestions?

Posted By Mark Hansen

Looking for travel tips or ideas for visiting Hawaii. I had in mind possibly a guided tour with a small group of other like-minded tourists. Hoping to see Mauna Kea, volcanoes, waterfalls, tropical areas, etc. My wife and I are not the kind to hang out poolside at a luxurious hotel for a week and miss all rest.

Also, what is the best time of year to go to the islands?

Thanks,
Mark

December 28, 2003 08:45 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

my first webcam image...

Posted By Mark Hansen

Well, this is my first attempt at shooting pics through a webcam, a Logitech Quickcam 4000. The photo was taken through a modest 150mm Intes Mak at f22 under mediocre seeing conditions. Registax was used to stack the 328 images into four groups, and then into one image. Editing was done in Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8. I have a long ways to go learning the processing techniques. Anyone else use Paint Shop Pro? Any tips?

Clear skies,
Mark Hansen

January 2, 2004 09:00 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

motorfocus for Intes MK-66 150mm mak?

Posted By Mark Hansen

Do they make such an item? If so, where would one buy? I need a motorfocus for my 150mm MK-66 Intes Deluxe for fine focus when shooting webcam planetary images.

Thanks,
Mark

February 11, 2004 06:15 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Best time to visit Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings?

Posted By Mark Hansen

Our family is planning a trip this Summer and I am considering flying into Reno, driving to Lake Tahoe, Yosemite Nat'l Park, Sequoia/Kings Canyon, Devils Postpile, etc. Anyone visit these sights often and have suggestions? When to go? What to avoid? What not to miss?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Mark

April 11, 2004 09:53 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Deming, City of Rocks, Cloudcroft, Ruidoso

Posted By Mark Hansen

Any astronomy groups or clubs observing in these New Mexico areas April 23 - 25th? I'll be flying down from cloudy Michigan to do some observing and would like to meet up. If your group wouldn't mind a "yankee" joining in, let me know.

Thanks!

November 7, 2004 04:31 PM Forum: After Dark

Nice Aurora Sunday Night!

Posted By Mark Hansen

Sunday night and large bright aurora here in Central Michigan. Enjoy it if you can.

Clear skies,
Mark Hansen

November 28, 2004 04:00 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Panasonic FZ-3 Chickadee

Posted By Mark Hansen

ISO 100, F2.8, 12x optical zoom, 1/250 sec, handheld with image stabilizer on. Black-capped Chickadee waiting his turn below the feeder.

December 12, 2004 08:24 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

White-breasted Nuthatch vs wind

Posted By Mark Hansen

White-breasted Nuthatch hanging on in the wind. Panasonic FZ20

December 24, 2004 01:46 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

keep your chin up!

Posted By Mark Hansen

Keep your chin up, even at 7 deg F! (Panasonic FZ20 at 24x)