My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mark Hansen

January 1, 2005 06:50 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Redbreasted Nuthatch on the lookout

Posted By Mark Hansen

Probably the smallest bird we see around here in Winter (MI). This one was hunting for food in an oak grove near the Flat River.

January 1, 2005 06:53 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Redbreasted Nuthatch

Posted By Mark Hansen

This is the smallest bird we see around here during Winter in Central Michigan. This one was hunting for food in an oakgrove near the Flat River.

January 3, 2005 05:20 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Canary

Posted By Mark Hansen

American Goldfinch shy about coming into the yard. Panasonic FZ20 18x.

January 5, 2005 06:30 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

slate-colored

Posted By Mark Hansen

Caught this patient Slate-colored Junco keeping warm. Panasonic FZ20 at 24x.

January 6, 2005 04:03 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Monopod advice???

Posted By Mark Hansen

I'm looking for the ideal monopod to use when taking trips out in the field. My FZ20 camera and Tcon-14b telephoto lens weigh about 2.5 pounds when together, and this is all front weight. I'm still using the tapped hole in the bottom of the camera. I would prefer a monopod that can double as a trekking pole (walking stick) and priced hopefully under or around $50. It also needs to be black or another not-so-noticeable color.

Your advice and help is greatly appreciated.

Mark

January 8, 2005 07:42 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

December 20th Sunrise

Posted By Mark Hansen

Taken in Central Michigan with FZ20 just as it appeared on the LCD (no editing!)

January 11, 2005 09:18 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Red-breasted Nuthatch rescued

Posted By Mark Hansen

Just to give you an idea of how small these little birds are, here is a photo of one that hit one of the windows this morning and lay motionless in the snow. He "came to" and was promptly let go to fly off into the pines.

January 14, 2005 05:11 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

canary hospital

Posted By Mark Hansen

When I got home from work this afternoon my wife mentioned an "ill" goldfinch that wouldn't leave the mirrored window feeder. She had seen her out on the snow covered ground for the past couple hours trying to fly up 5 feet to get into the feeder. She finally made it and was just sitting there. Once in a while she would try a bite of niger seed. It looks like a predator bird or neighbor cat had almost got her. I slid the window up carefully and reached around and caught her. She is resting quietly and comfortably in the laundry room in the dark. Hopefully the 65 degree air will be better than the 5 below zero expected outside. I will let her go in the morning after slowly acclimating her back to the cold. I wish I had a way to band her to see if she makes it and returns. Here's a pic. If it was a house sparrow, it wouldn't be in my house, but a goldfinch... I'll give it a try.

January 22, 2005 04:35 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

hiding in spruce

Posted By Mark Hansen

Not my favorite bird, but had to take a pic when I noticed him getting out of the weather in the shelter of this white spruce. They like to hang out around the house, but rarely visit the feeder. They dislike my menu of black oil sunflower seeds and thistle.

January 22, 2005 08:22 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Tough guy up close

Posted By Mark Hansen

I think nuthatch antics are like a boxer moving quick on his feet. We see a lot of these here. FZ20 with TCON-14b 1.45x Taken at 16x.