My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Walter Hamler

January 10, 2004 04:29 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Velvet Flocking

Posted By Walter Hamler

There was a discussion about the pro's and con's of flocking a few weeks ago. I just reflocked my 10" (new tube) with the stuff from McMaster Carr. This stuff is so cheap and easy to work with, but I learned to go slow when doing it by your self! I could only work 90* at a time or it would fall off from the wood glue I was using. Anyway, I'm very happy with the way it turned out. The last tube I hade used the stuff with the adhesive already on it, and when the scope was out in the sun during the day the flocking would start to droop and fall off.

Walt

January 16, 2004 10:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Are TAL telescopes a good deal?

Posted By Walter Hamler

I have observed with 2 versions of the 150, the spherical mirror and the parabolic version. The parabolic is definitely the better choice. I have also looked through one of their 6" Cassegrains and the images were very good indeed. Be careful on which mount you get with the TAL's. The -2M mounts with the motors are the only acceptable versions in my opinion. That mount is very sturdy, in the same league with the G-8 and maybe even the G-11. HOWEVER, they normally need to be adjusted from the factory and relubed. The Russian grease is pretty sticky stuff, and the bearings are usually preloaded way too tight! The drive motor is a 12vac motor and leaves a lot to be desired. I have converted mine to the drive system from a CI-700 and now it purrs! The TAL dealer in Canada is selling these mounts at a good price now, but they MAY be equipped with the 3" center colume instead of the 4". Would still be a deal if you could replace the colume with a 4" version.

Walt

February 10, 2004 01:32 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Apogee 5" f/9 Refractor

Posted By Walter Hamler

Anyone out there had a first hand look through one of these? The price seems good but I'm curious as to the track record?

Walt

March 4, 2004 04:39 PM Forum: Telescope Making

My Current Project

Posted By Walter Hamler

I recently sold my 4" f/10 refractor with every intention of replacing it with a 5" version. However, someone talked me out of that idea when I came upon a deal on a C-8 ota. I figured it would fit my TAL-2 mount great, especially since I already had modified it with a Celestron drive system from a CI-700. The ota already had a Losmandy 4" dovetail plate, so I had to attach a dovetail base to make it work. I really like the way it works, especially being able to sit comfortably in the observing chair. Saturn is great at 300X !!

Walt

March 8, 2004 07:42 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Lee Stock - You 'da Man!

Posted By Walter Hamler

I took your recommendation on squaring up my square. Darn! That's sweet! And it makes such perfect sense. Thanks!

Walt

March 16, 2004 06:25 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron Orange Paint

Posted By Walter Hamler

Doed anyone out there know if there is a spray paint available that closely matches the older C-8 Orange paint?

Walt

May 10, 2004 07:22 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Comet Neat Photos

Posted By Walter Hamler

I shot this Sat night from my backyard. About a minute exposure on E200 with a 200mm lens. This has been cropped slightly.

Walt

May 10, 2004 11:16 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Comet Neat Saturday evening

Posted By Walter Hamler

Shot this Sat nite, 200mm lens piggybacked on a C-8, about a minute exposure on E-200.

Walt

May 16, 2004 07:57 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Neat and M-44

Posted By Walter Hamler

Shot this last night on Fuji Superia 800 through a 350mm f/5.5 for 6 minutes. Scanned with a HP Photosmart and tweaked in Photoshop Elements.

Walt

May 25, 2004 02:00 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Re: Servocat goto

Posted By Walter Hamler

Wow, Chiefland doesn't look right with only one scope setup!!

Walt