My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: David Vaughn

June 25, 2003 02:36 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Quality of seeing

Posted By David Vaughn

Could anyone out there explain to me the numbers I have read which refer to the quality of the seeing on any particular night. I'm sure I once read someone refer to his skies as a 5/10. Is the 5 a indication of the magnitude of the stars visible to the naked eye? What is the 10? I usually count the stars visible to my eye in the Little Dipper. It sometimes gets as low as three here in suburban Los Angeles.

July 14, 2003 07:40 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

1st homemade scope

Posted By David Vaughn

Hello, everybody,
I just finished my first scope. I'm pretty proud of it and thought I could show it off here. 10" Orion primary, 5.6 in a standard tube, but with a hemispherical mount. Great views, and easy to use.
David

November 14, 2003 04:25 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Nagler eyepiece for a Televue Genesis?

Posted By David Vaughn

Hello, all,
I recently purchased a 5mm Nagler, Type 6 for use in my 9.25 SCT and my Televue Genesis. Worked great in the SCT, but in my Genesis the pincushion effect (I guess that's coma) was horrendous! I exchanged it for a 5mm Radian, which works great. This was my first try at a Nagler, with it's 82 degree field, in the Genesis. Boy, was that a shock! Has anybody had a similar problem with this combination, or a reasonable explanation why it wouldn't work?
Thanks, David

December 17, 2003 07:44 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

reducer/corrector

Posted By David Vaughn

I recently purchased a Celestron reducer/corrector and installed it on the back of my 9.25. I couldn't get near to acheiving focus with my Williams Optics Crayford focuser. I kind of expected that. But when I removed it and merely used the reducer, a Televue SCT adaptor, and my Televue 2" diagonal I just barely reached focus with any of my eyepieces. The focuser knob was cranked nearly all the way in one direction with no ability to reach the other side of focus. As much as I like the big views, I feel something isn't right. Any thoughts?

February 11, 2004 09:50 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

First decent prime focus, M42

Posted By David Vaughn

Since there's been such a dearth of postings, I thought I'd chime in with one of my own. Taken a few weeks ago in Death Valley, C9.25 at p.f., 12 min. tracked and manually guided, Nikon F2 using Provia 400. No manipulation. It looked a lot better on the slide than on the CD.

February 19, 2004 05:20 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Star trails

Posted By David Vaughn

The forecast is for 5 days of rain over the new moon weekend, in Los Angeles, no less! That may seem trivial to those of you in the Midwest, but here I have come to count on good weather for those monthly outings to the desert or mountains. So, instead I humbly post a shot taken in Death Valley last month; Ruins in front of the Northern sky, Provia 400, Nikon F2 w/ 28mm. 3 mins. tracked, one minute covered, 15 mins. trailed.

March 21, 2004 12:20 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Messier Marathons

Posted By David Vaughn

I was just wondering if any of you out there have taken advantage of the season to engage in a Messier Marathon. Today I am recuperating from an all-nighter at Red Rock Canyon where I took my first stab at seeing all of the Messier objects in one night. I got 109 out of 110! Damn that M30 in the morning light! I was alone out there in the desert, but I can see how it might be nice to participate in a group marathon. After the initial evening bash to observe those setting objects, and time to concentrate on the Virgo Cluster, there seems to be plenty of opportunity for chatting and sharing.
Anyway, it was a great experience. I'd do it again.
David Vaughn

September 26, 2004 10:11 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Swan Nebula on Elite Chrome 200

Posted By David Vaughn

Here's a shot of one of my favorite visual nebulae: 20 mins. at prime focus, 9 1/4" Celestron on Elite Chrome 200 pushed one stop. I diddled just a little with the levels in Photoshop Elements. Shot was taken on a bumper to bumper night a couple of months ago at Mt. Pinos, Ca.
Thanks for looking and any comments welcomed.
David Vaughn

September 27, 2004 09:40 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Milky Way sinking on EC200

Posted By David Vaughn

Hello, everyone,
Here's a 30 minute shot, 25-50 zoom lens at f5.6, using Elite Chrome 200, pushed one stop.
Thanks,
David Vaughn

April 11, 2005 04:36 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

guidescope opinions

Posted By David Vaughn

I'm tired of manually guiding with my Lumicon Easy-Guider. I'm not yet ready to try an auto-guider (technologically trepedatious) but am considering acquiring a guidescope to mount on a Losmandy DSBS, with my 9.25 and a couple of film cameras attached. I plan to manually guide with this set-up for awhile, then I might possibly consider an ST-4, or whatever.
What do you fellows recommend in the way of a guidescope? Aperature, focal length, brand, attachment, etc. are all considerations. Price, too, I suppose.
Thanks in advance for any input.
David Vaughn